[MXL:U] FAQ & Mechanics Guide

Page 7 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Unbreakable immunities still in the game?

Post by Kato on Sun Dec 15, 2013 6:03 pm

Can I just add one concern re breaking elemental resistances - and apologies if it's already been mentioned but I haven't time to read all the pages of replies in the thread.

In cLoD some monsters had resists well over 100% so their immunity could not be broken via curses. An example was the Amplify Damage necro curse which lowered target's physical resistances by 100%. However, there were some mobs in late Act V (WSK) that were still physical immune after they'd been cursed. That meant that they started with phys resistance of >= 200%.

These were quite rare, but the other necro curse, Decrepify, gave -50% to phys resists and it was quite common in late game to see mobs still immune when decrep'd.

Unless Laz/Marco have changed this basic mechanic from cLoD then there are some dangers in focusing on only one elemental form of damage, especially since I don't see any of the skills mentioned having as much as -100% to any resistance. Having only -50% to a given resistance is likely to meet some immunes (unless, as I say, they've changed the maximum resists of mobs in MXL).

Hope this helps.

Kato
Core Lord

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: [MXL:U] FAQ & Mechanics Guide

Post by MarcoNecroX on Sun Dec 15, 2013 6:31 pm

In MXL a monster immunity is usually given by two numbers:

100% (=pierceable)
1000% (=unpierceable)

Normal mobs generally have 100% of their element, while tough end-game bosses have unpierceable resis.

MarcoNecroX
Malthael

Führer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Kato on Sun Dec 15, 2013 6:57 pm

Aha so immunities have been changed from cLoD. I guess for bosses a single-element caster could re-spec (probably be tough though without the right gear).

For normal game play the trick seems to be in getting the right oskill to curse the mobs, but there seem to be very few of them. Cliffs of Dover boots proc PB when struck, which seems like a bad plan for a caster - and putting it on merc sounds like he'll die after he casts it since it makes anyone doing physical damage "disintegrate", whatever that means (sounds like instant death though).

Perhaps that's how it should be. Is it a desirable element of a game to have one-dimensional characters? Dunno - we all have our views on these things.

I've seen the old cLoD necro curses being applied by mobs to me (certainly Amp Damage anyway), but I've not seen anything that allows players to use them - especially the one that reduced enemy resists. Have they gone from the game as curses that players can apply?

Kato
Core Lord

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sexen on Sun Dec 15, 2013 7:12 pm

PB is for casters only. Any wdm will mean instant death.

-101+ res means the immunities for non bosses is not real.

Starbreaker 2% CtC lvl 1 Starfire on Attack breaks immunities. Bane on necromancer breaks immunities.

Outdated lFaq wrote:Q: Can I remove immunities from enemies?
A: You can use resistance reducing skills (*1) to remove an immunity off an enemy. These skills do however only work at 1/5 effectiveness if the target is immune. Items with -x% to Enemy [Element] Resistance do not break immunities by themselves, but can be used to further reduce an enemy's resistance after the immunity has been removed with a skill. Note that if an enemy is completely immune to all elements, this is usually an uberquest enemy and there is a trick to killing it. Consult the description of the uberquest.
(From the official FAQ)

(*1) The only such skills in Median XL as of 1.Z9 are the Assassin's Phase Bomb uberskill (which reduces enemy elemental resist by a listed amount), the Amazon's Spellbind Ennead skill (breaks Physical immunities; has -50% Enemy DR.) and the Starbreaker SU Mace which has 2% slv1 Starfire on attack (-5% elemental resists).

Also I think there are more but I can't remember atm. Amplify damage on striking on SSSU Panthera's Bite amazon spear weapon should break immunities I think.

Sexen
Howling Spirit

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Kato on Sun Dec 15, 2013 7:29 pm

Yes but what I was trying to say is that PB from Cliffs of Dover only procs when the wearer is struck. Not good for a caster. And putting it on mercs seems to mean he will die after he procs the curse - since the AI will keep on attacking the cursed mobs.

If Amp Damage is as per cLoD it will only break physical immunities (it was -100% phys resist in CLoD) which would be of little benefit to caster.

Similarly, Starbreaker procs "on Attack" which is a melee attack as I understand it. Yes it's true that you could stand a distance away, hold down shift and swing your weapon at a mob to get the proc but that means you're not doing anything else.

Bane for necro is obviously great - if you're a necro. I was looking at something for my sorc that would deal with lightning immune normal mobs.

Kato
Core Lord

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sexen on Sun Dec 15, 2013 8:46 pm

Wut... phase bomb is great for casters and is an assassin only skill. Since new sssu's give such a proc its awesome. Don't tell me your caster never gets struck Rolling Eyes 

I'm sorry I didn't read the original post by you. Eh you brought up amplify/necro curses so my post was not off base.

To deal with light immunes on your sorc... Use the other element you picked? If you only picked one element then respec. This isn't clod and all sorc's are dual element. Picking one element is just ridiculous.

Sexen
Howling Spirit

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Kato on Sun Dec 15, 2013 9:46 pm

Well I may be misunderstanding the meaning of the mods in this game, but my understanding of "struck" is that it's melee damage whereas "when you take damage" is any kind of damage.

So since my sorc very rarely gets hit by melee damage - possibly never - the proc isn't going to happen. And what I was thinking is that I don't want to have to be in the position of making it happen (putting myself in a situation to take melee hits goes against the fact of choosing to be a caster?).

If I've misunderstood the meaning of "struck" then I apologise, I'm assuming that they're as per d2 - and that my memory isn't failing me!!! It has been a few years!

Kato
Core Lord

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sexen on Sun Dec 15, 2013 9:51 pm

Struck also counts for ranged iirc. Any wdm attack strikes you. Not 100% sure. You cant tell me you never get hit by arrows, needles, and various other weapon damage based attacks (like ground thorns from the manglers in act 5). When you take damage includes elemental attacks as well.

Edit: No need to apologize BTW. You can't hear tone or emotion via text but I mean nothing malicious toward you. Sometimes when I am explaining something I give short stern responses but I only mean to help you and explain Very Happy

Sexen
Howling Spirit

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Kato on Mon Dec 16, 2013 1:15 am

Yes struck probably does include ranged (i.e arrow) attacks - my zon was given a hat (gift box) that had 2 "on striking" procs and that sounds like the same thing.

But - it still sounds like a problem for a caster. Having to take damage in the hope that a certain skill will proc isn't really "Plan A".

P.S. I absolutely agree that text is a difficult medium to convey the emotion of the poster and that's why I tend to apologise in advance. It's only meant to show that I'm just discussing something and trying to get at the right answer - I wasn't implying that your post might be read as "malicious" in any way.

And certainly your posts have helped immensely while I'm learning this game so it would be a bit silly for me to argue with you (or anyone else)!

Thanks for your thoughts.

Kato
Core Lord

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sexen on Mon Dec 16, 2013 1:24 am

I agree it's not something to build your character around. It is simply a way to get a free immunity breaker every so often. For instance there is an affix that gives 5% ctc doom when you kill an enemy. Sure if you cast the skill, it will happen all the time, but it also proc's more often then the 5% would let on. In theory why would you want a curse to activate after you kill the enemy you would like to be cursed? Proc's (even with low chance) are what MXL has come to be all about. I personally would wear the helm on caster if I had it, as it is definitely a great skill to proc for a caster. Caster's for the most part have low defense so pretty much every wdm skill is going to hit your character. Problem is it's gonna kill your merc no matter what if you do wear it though.

As for arguing, do it anyways. Best way to learn something new, is to challenge what is already known. Hell I argue sometimes and am proven wrong. I don't let it get to me, I just go oh that's how it works. Not everyone knows everything ya know?

Sexen
Howling Spirit

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Page 7 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum