Median XL: Sigma

Page 1 of 22 1, 2, 3 ... 11 ... 22  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Median XL: Sigma

Post by MarcoNecroX on Wed Oct 24, 2012 7:46 pm

When you're done reading this, check this <update>!

Hey all. I'm posting this to give everyone an idea of the main goals of sigma and what
is it going to be like. There is a lot of stuff to be done yet but I have most of it planned
and under my control. I do not know when it will be finished, I estimate for the begin
of the next year.

I've been trying to do a bit research and playing in other mods and classic LoD, just to
clear my mind. And I released Median XL is about to explode. This is for many reasons.
For example, if you want to introduce a new skill, this one needs to be completely
stupid, autoaimed, cover all screen and why not one more screen. There is no room
for creative skills (read: assassin new summon). Nor items. You can do most ubers
without thinking just by having a gear check, because the current items and stats
allow it all: 95% max res, 50% dr, max block, and huge damage input.

Sigma goals are the following: make the game equally fun for a newcomer and for
a pro. Become more balanced. Bring uniqueness in mechanics and ideas. It's a big
project, and it won't come before 2013. This is the first reason why you shouldn't
whine about a wipe: from now to the wipe you have enough time to beat the game
with all possible classes with closed eyes, while masterbating (optional). So yeah,
here is what I have to offer:

- Redone stuff: is based on remaking (not modifying anymore!) some thing that
became cluttered after so many mod updates (both mxl and ultimative)

• Monster Densities: screwed, there is currently no logic behind densities on each level.
    In fact, there is no density factor in MXL. Level density isn't playing a role.

• Monster Count/Area: each area can spawn up to 13 different monsters per game. And,
    by now, most areas have over 13 different monsters, this means you could currently do
    a dest run of River of Flame, and not encounter a single Landmass.

• Monster Count/Area pt.2: Currently, you enter an area and you are being attacked by
    10 different types of monsters at the same time. This makes each monster less unique.
    This is hard to explain. But you can't even distinguish how they behave anymore. All you
    have to do is kill them all together, like if they were the same monster. Some are faster,
    some are bigger, etc. Let's take this to an example. You have got Kurast 3000 BA. There
    are Skeletons and Totems. And you know exactly what you have to do. Now compare it to
    Fautzinville. There is no strategy in fautz, just get in and kill. You don't know very well what
    is going on, it's just get swarmed by missiles, some monsters have varying immunities, but
    what the hell does this matter, just keep hitting that goddamned mob until they all die.
    Alright, I'm still not sure if I'm clear. I'll bring another example. Den of Evil. You enter there,
    you see the harmless fallen, you kill them, a Shaman resurrects them. Kill the shaman, now
    kill fallen. You see a mob of zombies over there, but those Skeleton archers are shooting you.
    Kill archers, and approach the zombies. Just perfect. Now, compare to Kurast Bazaar. 20
    monsters approaching you from each side, you see Djinn's immolation bombs somewhere
    around, impredictable as there are probably monsters over the fuse signal (aka chest).
    Suddenly, the whole mobs are invulnerable because you killed a Ni'Va. Meanwhile those
    fast running Fungus are covering half of your screen with a dumbly-spread Faerie Fire.
    Meanwhile those mad monkeys are throwing barrels at you. Are they even hurting you?
    I don't know, I'm running from all these 20 monsters here next to me. Keep throwing
    missiles and proc's around until they are death. DEFINETLY FUN!

• Monster Tiers: even more cluttered. Normal monsters just fill the screen with no purpose.
    ATM: normal monsters = decoration. Elite monsters = normal monsters. Veteran monsters
    must be removed. There are only 5, and they are not cool enough to be the 'bad guys' around.
    The concept of veteran monsters shall be removed, and here we come with Legendaries.
    These play the roles of veterans, but we have 20 instead.

• Items: so. many. items. Is there even any other mod with as many uniques as this one?
    We got 6 layers of tiered uniques, and 3 layers of sacred uniques. This is the worst aspect
    of the game, and the hardest one to fix. There are so many that you either need to get your
    own via recipes (for tiered), and duping is almost a must if you want to have the ones you
    need, otherwise keep dreaming. Procs also ruined items. They are like drugs. You can't
    take them away from people. If you survived the 10 changes of the Time strike % change
    from Scales of the Serpent you get my point. It was 20%, then 24%, then 5%, then 10%,
    etc. Another example, hammertime proc, it was on crafts, 20% on kill or so. It was also
    reduced and increased about 5 times, eventually it became useless because it was
    switched from 'on kill' to 'on attack' and amount of hammers was reduced. But the proc
    wasn't removed, because you cannot do that. If you played cLoD, you have to BEG for
    some AoE, compared to MXL. Procs completely remove in-game progression and logics,
    they are auto-aimed and completely automatical. And you CAN'T remove them. A bow
    without %ctc arrow is useless. You get it. Procs have poisoned the items. Procs have
    killed casters classes. Caster classes, or 'mages', were based on elemental damages.
    They 'WERE'. Now if you really want elemental damage make a ninja assassin.

• Mana Factor: mana doesn't play a role in the game after level 10. Alright this
    is another hardie. Basically introduce the mana factor again but make it fun.
    Why is there a big blue orb covering 5% of your screen if its only for decoration.
    So far I'm still thinking how this could be fixed. Mana regeneration is definetly
    going to get toned down. After this, it will be a lot easier to analyze the mana
    requirements for each skill and make them fit to the kind of skill, to promote a less
    mindless gameplay.

• Levels: along with monster revamp, levels will get a change too. One of
    my goals is to make the regular game as entertaining or even more entertaining than
    the 'adrenaline' of doing ubers. Levels will get many changes, themed levels. New
    levels, modified one with different looks. A new uber means a new map so here
    is where uberquests are already taking a huge advantage. Each level is a different
    story for me, so I can't tell any global infos about them. I'll work each level separatedly
    trying to give an unique feel for each one.

• Visual: I remember the first median 2008 videos. It was all about shiny novas,
    but as a non-player you could at least see what was happening or enjoy the view. In MXL,
    the abuse of procs and AoE skills now made all view a lot more cluttered. In sigma there
    will be a lot of changes to promote a cleaner view: many states (those visual thingies around
    your character, are states) are getting grouped, so that they don't stack on-screen.
    I'll explain a bit more about states because its not everything inside visuals.

• States: let's begin with the first bad aspect of current states: color shifts.
    Color shifts simply mean that your character gets shifted to a certain color when using
    a certain state. For example, the purple invulnerability shield (k3k, secret inarius). It
    is unnesessary. K3K is probably a terribly bad example since all violet monsters kind of
    make the uber what it is. But take another example, the other invulnerability shield, the
    golden one. Another one is poison: why when you use lets say gamma field, all monsters
    loose their awesome-looking colors. Maybe some aura at their feet or green sparkles
    could look a lot better than a plain ugly green monster. I already took a step into this
    before; when I removed the ugly slow overlay. This is the simple concept of colorshifts.
    There should be no global colorshift. Maybe some occassional, like I said k3k.

• States pt.2: Another aspect of states - currently we have to much. If you
    have a full end character, you have probably over 5 buffs and around 2-3 states
    granted by charms / items. This is an easy fix. Most states/buffs/whatever will
    no longer stack on screen. They will be like old auras. This will basically will
    provide a 'smarter' look. If I removed all visual stuff from the states and replaced
    them with a rainbow, you guys will see no difference.

• Skills: another hard thing to fix. You can't go from multitasking skills
    to primitive skills. Skill visual will be reduced. Mainly try to stay with 1 color
    and theme for each skill. Part of this is my fault, as I've enchanted many
    visual stuff from skills like making most arrows colored or whatever.
    Many mechanics can be changed a bit as well. I can't talk about this too much
    yet as many will be a "surprise" and I'm still not to deep into this.

• Cube Recipes: I think they are badly distributed, to the point we
    need charms to do recipes... Median 2008 for example had 4 types of
    arcane crystals. Now we have only one and its always the same tedious
    rutine to get these. I still didn't do a lot of brainstorming on this but I'll come
    up with something. Main goal is to make cube recipes a bit less tedious
    and repetitive. As I said I still don't have a super duper idea here but I'm
    just posting this so you know I have this under my nest Wink

• 'Sacred' Items: and heeeeeeere it comes...
    Why the hell are Sacreds:
    - The only items that have godly stats
    - The only items that can be crafted
    - The only items that have sets
    ???
    I mean they are sacred but wth they are not rare or something. Alright,
    making non sacred sets would indeed take a while. I already reduced
    the ilvl of all sets so that as soon as a sacred item can drop (a2 terror)
    it can be a set. We know that sets will in most part never beat sacred
    uniques, so at laest don't group these together.

• 'Sacred' Items pt.2: Crafts... why is crafting system limited to sacreds?
    You're just giving an item double orb bonus because its just sacred!
    Not rare! Just sacred! I'm considering allowing crafted items to be done on tiered items
    as well. Additionally, why can't magic items be turned into sacreds? If there
    is a goddamn recipe to turn a magic item into a rare with no damned cost at all.
    These two changes already reduce the whole crafting lines by a huge amount.
    This will allow easier implementation of new shrines as well as modifying the
    current crafting system. Additionally shrines could start dropping in hatred.
    This leaves rare items aside except for the only reason that rares can be
    ethereal. For this, I think reducing the first shrine-craft to rare items only could
    be a start, and remove the magic-> rare recipe.

More to come...

EDIT: regarding code editing. I promised two things but they contradict themselves.
One was to introduce code editing to sigma, and the other one to release it around
January. Alright, code editing takes time. If I want to release it by january I won't be
able to do any considerable code edit changes. However, once I release Sigma, I will
start working fully on learning more code editing and c++. But for this version you can
just expect a few code edits that whist shares with me, because as I said, I won't
be able to do my own code edits if I want to release sigma around january.

Last edited by MarcoNecroX on Wed May 22, 2013 12:50 am; edited 3 times in total

MarcoNecroX
Malthael

Führer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Median XL: Sigma

Post by GregMXL on Wed Oct 24, 2012 8:07 pm

Anyone have a time machine so we can fast forward to January? Cool

GregMXL
Zorun Tzin

Epic Admin
TGBest Transferred

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Inertia on Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:02 pm

I agree with pretty much 100% of the points. Can't wait. I've literally stopped playing median until sigma so it can be that much more surprising and new.
No pressure or anything. I really hope this goes as planned. Very Happy
Godspeed!

Inertia
Astral Guardian

TGBest Transferred

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by taem on Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:04 pm

Agree with everything except Sacreds. While playing hc in realms, it was always the most difficult transition to go from tiered uniques, to doing dest ubers to get the sacreds you required to do the harder ubers. This was a real challenge that required knowledge, and an adequate gear check. Making sacreds easy to obtain will destroy that challenge. In addition, making tiered uniques sacred is fine so long as you need some uber charms and arcane crystal to uptier them to sacred. Then player would have already been in dest ubers and earned the right to wear sacreds, not before. I fear making sacreds easy to obtain will drastically change the game by making it too easy at mid-to-high level when it should be the most challenging.

taem
Dark Nephalem

View user profile https://sites.google.com/site/monkeymeatsauce/

Back to top Go down

Post by MarcoNecroX on Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:06 pm

You didn't understand what I'm going to do with sacreds.
What I'm going to do with sacreds is..
..H-H-HOLD IT..
Nothing.
I'm only enabling tiered uniques to become crafts.
And sets can drop since ~a3 terror (which im PRETTY SURE is harder than dest a1).

MarcoNecroX
Malthael

Führer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by RollsRoyce on Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:55 am

I'm considering allowing sacred items to be done on tiered items
as well

this is copied from your post, you should change it to crafted items to be done from tiered, so it was just a misunderstanding.

i liked most aspects of what you wrote, but heres where i contradict:

* whats the problem of a game that has lots of uniques ? more uniques => more variety

* if you change procs to drastically i could just play clod again, the procs always were part of the unique median feeling

* fauztinville is probably the most epic area created by laz i wouldnt love to see this area changed

RollsRoyce
The Smith

롤스로이스 ☆☆☆☆
TGBest Transferred

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by MarcoNecroX on Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:53 am

* that whenever one drops it will most likely not be useful for you, so non 24/7 players stand no chance..

* yes they were until a bow requires 50% ctc arrow and some extra on kill proc to work. Procs are not a problem, the problem is how they overlap and get terribly stronger everytime Rolling Eyes

* I guess that's just your taste since you didn't argument pro it, that its a missile fest is undenyable, the map is rly good but monsters only have 2 ai (the one that runs away and sends missile) and the one that goes into melee.

MarcoNecroX
Malthael

Führer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Snippy on Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:52 am

Ok my points.
Diablo should be a game where players should benefit for playing more. In my case, when i find a unique that i don't need on my current char, it's actually fun to create a new char just to equip this awesome item on him. i wouldnt change it.

Procs are extremely overpowered but for some classes or builds they seem essential. The fun part begins when u start to aoe clear everything that comes into your way. And some builds require massive procs for that.

Snippy
Maelstrom Lord

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by RollsRoyce on Thu Oct 25, 2012 12:28 pm

Balance out Uniques => every unique you find can be used in a trade and therefore is not useless.

Fauztinville is great cause:

You need pois/phys + at least 1 element to be succesful
Fauztinville is the ultimative farming area and i dont like this to dissappear

In your argument you can bring up Sewers 1 which is nothing but stupid hack and slash
cause ALL Monster behave the same.

RollsRoyce
The Smith

롤스로이스 ☆☆☆☆
TGBest Transferred

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by MarcoNecroX on Thu Oct 25, 2012 12:49 pm

Balance out uniques == Ofc its easy to say "fix it". But its not easy to fix around 800 uniques btw..

Not sure why you're whining about fautz though, when the hell did I say I would change it? This is just a concept threads there are only a very few punctual examples (on items part)

MarcoNecroX
Malthael

Führer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 22 1, 2, 3 ... 11 ... 22  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum