Age of Empires II

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Age of Empires II

Post by MarcoNecroX on Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:29 pm

Yo, while "I have no time for modding" Laughing im chilling playing AoE II conquerors (aka AoC) online and its quite cool.
I was always a fan of this game but after getting into this I realised the game is actually completely different, and requires so many different skills to be played efficiently - some luck factor, strategy, planning, intuition, speed, skill and experience. It really went beyond of what I thought this game actually was. I see some people play this so intensively, micromanaging each units, while at my noob era I was of the guys that were spamming paladins non stop against easy computer... This was like 10 years ago though. It was like, I choose bizanthynes because I have bombard towers and paladins wohoo.... And playing like farmville where all my houses had to be aligned and all my base walled with towers defending every certain amounts of tiles.

Anyways... There are so many ways to fail in this game and I'm sure most people still play it like farmville, but if you're a fan of old games like me you should see in depth what this game can offer actually, its quite great... And there is this epic guy who comments games, and to be honest, i was never able to watch videos of games more than 5 minutes long, but listening to this guy I can watch AoC videos forever... some videos you should watch:

You can watch more videos from this guy, there are some great ones. On the other hand there is also a fresh new mod for AoC called AoFE, which brings new razes, technologies, maps, new AI's, etc. Here is a video from the same guy showing this mod showing the playstyle of a new AI:

I played the mod and it was good, however, I'm playing online in Voobly (its great, awesome multiplayer experience for AoC compared to hamachi and others) but most people play AoC and not AoFE here so I'm back to classic expansion game. If someone wants to join and play with me, let me know. I really recommend it!

Cheers Twisted Evil

MarcoNecroX
Malthael

Führer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Age of Empires II

Post by Wotan on Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:34 pm

I miss playing AoE Sad. Along with broodwar,heroes 3...those were the days.

Wotan
Madawc

TGBest Transferred

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by zerger on Mon Mar 04, 2013 5:22 pm

I really loved AoE II.....until someone gave me Starcraft Broodwar....

I never launched it again since this time :p

zerger
Spike Beast

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by wow123400 on Mon Mar 04, 2013 6:29 pm

haven't play this kind games like ever since i left china, this game looks pretty good if you like the feeling of build something from ground zero to something and start a big war with something after that

the reason starcraft beat this game is the gaming speed,like you can never rush in this game

and those field thingy reminds of knight&merchants,man i hope this game is still for sell in some store

wow123400
Malthael

High Posting Cookie Monster
TGGood 100

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by MarcoNecroX on Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:50 pm

There are a lot of people playing this in voobly, over 2k players online.
What's also interesting here is that the program has a ladder, players get ranked when they win/loose games and they win/loose poinst depending on the rating of the opponent.

Stop mentioning broodwar Sad my IRL friends are already rejecting my offer to play AoE because they prefer bw Evil or Very Mad I don't know, I don't like SC, it's much uncleaner than AoE in my opinion and I'd never get the hang of it ...

@wow: how is it that you can never rush in AoE? there is drush (militia rush), trush (feudal tower rush, building towers in enemy base as soon as you hit feudal age), grush (galley rush in water maps), scrush (scout rush), and then full feudal fights (archers and skirmishers) as well as fast castle age (for knights / castle drop at enemy base) - if you play on open maps like arabia, hitting imperial age is not too likely so you mostly stick to early ages fights. There is even a persian rush, where you delete your own town center and rebuild it next to the enemy's town center. Then you garrison your vills in it and start firing to the enemy's town center. This works because persian TC has double HP than any other TC, so this is an epic rush.

MarcoNecroX
Malthael

Führer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by wow123400 on Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:08 am

@MarcoNecrox wrote:@wow: how is it that you can never rush in AoE? there is drush (militia rush), trush (feudal tower rush, building towers in enemy base as soon as you hit feudal age), grush (galley rush in water maps), scrush (scout rush), and then full feudal fights (archers and skirmishers) as well as fast castle age (for knights / castle drop at enemy base) - if you play on open maps like arabia, hitting imperial age is not too likely so you mostly stick to early ages fights. There is even a persian rush, where you delete your own town center and rebuild it next to the enemy's town center. Then you garrison your vills in it and start firing to the enemy's town center. This works because persian TC has double HP than any other TC, so this is an epic rush.

what's the fun in that?Aoe is different from starcraft, you build a big starcraft city,and it looks ugly or weird,but in Aoe,I think if you do not build a beautiful city,it is a waste of game play,give some credit to the art man

still i really do not know you can rush in Aoe Embarassed since i play aoe I i thought this is gonna be a long game,and the knight castle was so freaking big i can not even see my own army Mad

wow123400
Malthael

High Posting Cookie Monster
TGGood 100

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by MarcoNecroX on Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:22 am

Well, that's why I said some people look age of empires like if it was farmville Razz but nope, just watch the first video and you will see it's played a lot deeper than that Wink

MarcoNecroX
Malthael

Führer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by vadust on Tue Mar 05, 2013 6:40 am

Honesty i played much such games bw,aoe,aom.... and it looks like you can use much more features in aoe then in bw, really much more. I'm bored atm so i mb join too soon.

vadust
Scaled Mutant

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by MarcoNecroX on Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:27 am

yes aoe is great. imo its also a lot more extensive than bw. also aoe has a lot of civs with custom bonuses for each one that makes it even more interesting. other game I should download is red alert 2, but I doubt it would go as far as AoE 2 does.

MarcoNecroX
Malthael

Führer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by zerger on Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:41 am

AoE is an excellent game. But if you want to play a city-builder, Caesar III would be a much better option.

As Wow said, AoE is fine because it is a slow game, when you can take your time to build your army from zero, having something similar to a city, micro your attacks without knowing 43543 shortcuts...

But once you play a rts faster than aoe like broodwar, it is hard to back to aoe.

zerger
Spike Beast

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum