Proposal for Ultimative spin-off or addition to upcoming Whist Mod

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Proposal for Ultimative spin-off or addition to upcoming Whist Mod

Post by taem on Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:47 am

Proposal

What I’d like to see is D2 get much more competitive in all the right ways. Some of the most fun I had playing D2 was to do what they call “living off the land” where you never go to town for any reason except when you complete an act. I feel this experience could be implemented into D2 with fantastic results, making the game fresh, challenging, and rewarding for everyone. My proposal is to get rid of towns in D2 as we know it (further explanation below). This will provide a more competitive game and force players to live off the land and in turn, will make what is currently taken for granted – the venders – and turn it into a great quest item.

STEP 1: GETTING RID OF TOWNS
To properly do this, these are the steps I'd take:

Make town a new starting area the size of a regular map, such as cold plains, and give each town a new area name.
Have the player always start next to the waypoint and stash on the map.
Get rid of all the venders and Cain from towns.

STEP 2: FUNDAMENTAL CHANGES
With the change to towns would requires some basic changes to how things worked. These are my suggestions below:

“Identify” is a now a new innate skill you start with requiring “x” gold to cast, where is x is item level x 100.
Hellforge in River of Flame is the only place capable of doing item repairs, however there is no longer an item repair cost. To utilize the Hellforge, simply click on it and the repair icon comes up allowing you to repair all of your items.
New quests to find the venders and utilize their unique abilities. What I mean by this is venders should be in unique, possibly hard to reach locations such as the special area where Bloodraven is located now. Technically, they would not be "quests", but you'd have to find these venders in unique locations on the maps.

STEP 3: LIST OF VENDERS
The venders I would have in this version would be:

A vender selling health potions, mana potions, keys, and hearts and candles.
A vender selling all the required potions for cube recipes and all mystic orbs.
A vender that allows gambling.
A vender selling high end SU's that don’t drop in the regular game and must be “traded” for. What I mean when I say “traded” is you don’t pay with gold, but you have to sell a specific charm to purchase the high quality items, or perhaps even do other quests to get access to these special items. For example there is a SU you really want, but only a special vender in act 5 carries it and to get this item, you have to trade in the Vanity Idol charm.

Conclusion

With these alterations, I think the game would be vastly more challenging because health and mana potions would be slightly more difficult to obtain making skills like Moon Cookie and Good Berry powerful, identifying items could be done anywhere, but the costs would stack up making gold useful, base items would have to be found, not purchased, venders unique abilities are now powerful quest items instead of forgotten byproducts of system we take for granted, and because of these changes, the game play itself is much more challenging and exciting.

I'm aware that some of these changes would require code editing, such as repair at Hellforge and Vender selling specific SU, however if those ideas are scraped, I remember reading that moving venders around does not require code edits, nor should innate skill of identify or editing towns to look like a map (but I could be wrong). I'd be very interested to hear thoughts on my concept, and perhaps even hear from Marco or Whist if this is something they are interested in.
taem
Dark Nephalem

View user profile https://sites.google.com/site/monkeymeatsauce/

Back to top Go down

Re: Proposal for Ultimative spin-off or addition to upcoming Whist Mod

Post by taem on Tue Mar 12, 2013 4:12 am

Addendum

I thought up two more ideas while dwelling on this whole concept, however they are more flights of fancy than anything as both would require code edits:

The whole concept of using a town portal scroll in this proposal seems strange to me; you take a portal simply to get next to your stash, but are still in hostile territory. Instead, it makes more sense to me that when you cast a town portal, it brings up the waypoint screen instead and you get to choose which WP you wish to go. With this method, there would be no need for physical waypoints at all. Instead, TP scrolls would take you where the WP would normally be located, but of course there is no physical WP there. In addition to simplifying the game by allowing you to access any portion of the map at any time (no need to "find" those pesky waypoints), the game would have a constant sense of danger behind it, like there were no "safe" place to rest! How fitting for a Diablo game.

My other thought is allowing characters the ability to use a "backpack" item; I've seen this in other mods before. Basically, you carry your "stash" with you so there would be no need to have the stash in the initial area at all. This could also add another dynamic of item class, where for every "backpack" in your inventory, you receive another 10-pages of "shared" inventory. Perhaps a special charm type items in uber levels, or sold from certain venders for an exorbitant rate. At any rate if this were too difficult to implement, simply allowing players to carry their shared stash around would alternatively do the trick.
taem
Dark Nephalem

Back to top Go down

Post by whist on Wed Mar 13, 2013 4:47 am

@taem wrote:however they are more flights of fancy than anything as both would require code edits

The whole idea/topic or almost, requires code editing to be honest. Although this is not really a problem on my side.

“Identify” is a now a new innate skill you start with requiring “x” gold to cast, where is x is item level x 100.

This requires code editing for sure. If all you want is identify for gold, I would personally just add a button in the inventory (similar to vendors repair/sell/buy buttons) to identify items. I kinda like the idea, I might end up implementing this. I even could have all kind of stuff like a passive that slightly reduces the identify costs.

Hellforge in River of Flame is the only place capable of doing item repairs, however there is no longer an item repair cost. To utilize the Hellforge, simply click on it and the repair icon comes up allowing you to repair all of your items.

This again requires code editing. I personally wouldn't mess too much with quest related stuff. I half-like the idea here.
The idea is nice, but that would mean that you can't repair any of your gear before you reach Act 4? I would take one of these approaches:

1. Similar to identify. A button in the inventory, gold cost, etc...
2. Randomly generated "forge" objects that you meet through the game. Think of chests and such, but they would be forges to repair your items.

New quests to find the venders and utilize their unique abilities. What I mean by this is venders should be in unique, possibly hard to reach locations such as the special area where Bloodraven is located now. Technically, they would not be "quests", but you'd have to find these venders in unique locations on the maps.

I thought about a similar idea myself. I wanted to add new NPCs in outside levels, that have some abilities the regular town NPCs don't have.

A vender selling high end SU's that don’t drop in the regular game and must be “traded” for. What I mean when I say “traded” is you don’t pay with gold, but you have to sell a specific charm to purchase the high quality items, or perhaps even do other quests to get access to these special items. For example there is a SU you really want, but only a special vender in act 5 carries it and to get this item, you have to trade in the Vanity Idol charm.

This one would be hard. That would require totally reworking how NPC trade works

The whole concept of using a town portal scroll in this proposal seems strange to me; you take a portal simply to get next to your stash, but are still in hostile territory. Instead, it makes more sense to me that when you cast a town portal, it brings up the waypoint screen instead and you get to choose which WP you wish to go. With this method, there would be no need for physical waypoints at all. Instead, TP scrolls would take you where the WP would normally be located, but of course there is no physical WP there. In addition to simplifying the game by allowing you to access any portion of the map at any time (no need to "find" those pesky waypoints), the game would have a constant sense of danger behind it, like there were no "safe" place to rest! How fitting for a Diablo game.

I understand what you say by "there would no physical waypoints", but I guess you kinda forgot one point. How would you activate the said waypoints?
Or maybe you had in mind the characters would start with all waypoints unlocked. But then, that would be all about find a WP scroll and rush to the max.

My other thought is allowing characters the ability to use a "backpack" item; I've seen this in other mods before. Basically, you carry your "stash" with you so there would be no need to have the stash in the initial area at all. This could also add another dynamic of item class, where for every "backpack" in your inventory, you receive another 10-pages of "shared" inventory. Perhaps a special charm type items in uber levels, or sold from certain venders for an exorbitant rate. At any rate if this were too difficult to implement, simply allowing players to carry their shared stash around would alternatively do the trick.

I was going to implement this myself, in Whist Mod. The inventory will have two buttons. One to open the crafting screen (basically horadric cube), and another one opens the storage (stash). Basically, there will no longer be any kind of physical stash/cube. That means no more Horadric cube taking up space in your inventory, and no need to go in town to put stuff in stash.
whist
Nihlathak

Huehuehue™

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by taem on Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:11 pm

Re: high leved su vender, isnt that how the world event works now? You sell item 'x' to a vender to spawm 'Y'? So perhaps you sell item x to vender, then next super unique that loads spawns with ihem you want in it, but I guess you have to fight it. I wonder how many items you could set up this way. Seems like a pretty darn cool idea actually Very Happy .
taem
Dark Nephalem

Back to top Go down

Post by taem on Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:13 pm

Re: waypoints, Yes, I meant all waypoints would be active.

Sorry for posting all weird. On phone in dentists office.
taem
Dark Nephalem

Back to top Go down

Post by wow123400 on Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:36 pm

@taem wrote:Re: waypoints, Yes, I meant all waypoints would be active.

Sorry for posting all weird. On phone in dentists office.

I understand you,I am going to see my dentist tomorrow,a day of torture Mad
wow123400
Malthael

High Posting Cookie Monster
TGGood 100

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Aspirine101 on Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:43 pm

@taem wrote:Re: high leved su vender, isnt that how the world event works now? You sell item 'x' to a vender to spawm 'Y'? So perhaps you sell item x to vender, then next super unique that loads spawns with ihem you want in it, but I guess you have to fight it. I wonder how many items you could set up this way. Seems like a pretty darn cool idea actually Very Happy .
Well, saying a guy with almost no clue of modding, that would be possible but it will take like tons of hours because:
1. There are not 3 or 5 SU's in the game.
2. So the thing is that i'm allowed to trade a specific SU for a specific one... It is still kinda stupid, like, I can trade goetia plate for sots but I can't trade demonic touch for sots. It will be indeed a little easier to obtain a specific SU but it doesn't worth the time to mod all this. Ofc it is "possible..." to make it so you can trade every (or 50, 20 doesn't matter) SU to get your specific one, but, i'm not sure but I THINK it will take like 1000000x the time to implement because you will need to make it so every SU you want is tradeable, I don't know if theres a function or something that makes it so you trade one, doesn't matter which SU and the world event activates but then how can we get a specific SU?
The idea is cool, but too hard to do.
Aspirine101
Lord Primus

Islamic B&D Princess
TGGood None

View user profile http://lmgtfy.com/?q=median+xl.com

Back to top Go down

Post by taem on Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:00 pm

You misunderstand. You sell a specific charm(s) to a vender and this spawns a special monster on the next super unique. When killed, this monster is set to only drop this very unique su only obtainable in this manner. The vender himself should be hidden in an uber area if possi le.
taem
Dark Nephalem

Back to top Go down

Post by atndy on Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:05 pm

I would like to add something, you consantly take 1 damage so you need to always have hp pots Very Happy THAT WOULD BE SO FUN! HARDCORE FTW
atndy
Detonator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by MarcoNecroX on Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:45 pm

Anyone willing to offer 5 years of patience ? Razz
MarcoNecroX
Malthael

Führer

View user profile

Back to top Go down