Path of Exile, yet died?

Page 3 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Path of Exile, yet died?

Post by zerger on Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:01 am

@atndy wrote:You can't compare something to D3 because D3 is the worst of the worst. .

This means absolutely nothing

I compare D3 to PoE because D3 is the most similar H&S to PoE and because PoE is being told as an opponent for D3.
Yes, itemisation in D3 is shit, end game lacks of interest, but for the rest it is far superior to Poe. And I have read many feedback about Poe end game, it doesn't seem to be something exciting. The Perfect loots are as impossible to get as in D3. If people keeps playing Poe, it because of all the deaths from lag/desynchro in hardcore Very Happy That seems to be a feature of the game

As for the "yes but it is still in developpement" argument, I have been heard it for many months, and all the main issues are still here.

How about Laz? He designed some uniques but we never heard the end of the story? What does he think about this game?
zerger
Spike Beast

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Frytas on Sat Apr 13, 2013 9:16 pm

I gave it a shot,but Torchlight 2 is just so much,much,much better. D2 & MXL as well. Very Happy A friend of mine went nolife for like 2 weeks,playing nothing but PoE for a couple hours every day,and he had a raging boner because of this game,so I decided to check it out but it was nothing special at best. It just felt like "meh".
Frytas
Mindless

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by zerger on Sun Apr 14, 2013 12:32 am

Same here, torchlight II is my prefered option for the moment.

plz, make a mxl mod for it Smile
zerger
Spike Beast

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Splift on Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:00 am

@ratapwnz wrote:
@Splift wrote: Every week they are adding a new skill and balance.
So now according to simple math 1st year of POE we played without skills?

Well that is obviously not what I meant... I did not say when they started doing that but even your snide comment fails when you do the "simple math".

-80+ skills gems and 50+ support gems
-game has been around for 2 years (tho much of that time was alpha)
-36 weeks in a year
Splift
Blood Stone

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Roflknife on Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:39 pm

This game is ultimately pointless for diablo2/mxl players since it caters exclusively to the desire of 1% of hardcore elitist emos

-100% RNG crafting throughout the game is as bad as saving skill points in D2 ever was except you start using them at lvl 60 instead of 30 ffs.

- 5/6L and various brokenly OP items mean ordinary players are playing half a game. When i say brokenly OP items i mean items like Shavronnes that basically validate RF builds that do triple overal damage. And you thought SOTS needed a nerf.

-Meanwhile people who can afford a 5/6L with an Astramentis can play thousands of new builds that are unviable for a real player

- extreme effectiveness of stacking iiq/iir means rich people become more rich while normal players wallow in a stash full of shit

GGG basicaly created a farm to win game that only appeals to a bunch of no-life emos.

Roflknife
Mangler

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Brother Laz on Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:11 pm

@ratapwnz wrote:398245983465 passives but meta is MAOR resist MOAR hp, no way to experiment. Boring gameplay, boring skills, boring bosses, boring and poor story, boring grind and death in lags.

Tip: THAT'S DIABLO 2.
In fact, Diablo 3 is also Diablo 2. It's just that Diablo 2 was released at a time when Half-Life 1 was the pinnacle of game design and the dot-com bubble hadn't burst yet.

In a game like this, the meta is very simple: just enough resources into defence so you don't die, everything else into dmgz. This was the case in D1 (must have platemail AC... must max resists), D2 (0-block-max-0) and D3 (diamond armor). D3 actually made a valiant attempt at increasing the skill cap of the actual gameplay, but it was not enough: people were tired of the repetitive grind-based gameplay and had played some MMOs in the meantime which were the same thing in an open world with more content.

MMOs have a future, as long as they stop trying to copy the dying WoW. On the other end of the scale is Torchlight 2, a game I don't play because grinders aren't fun without a large community. And quickie roguelikes, like Desktop Dungeons, have a bright future once they get more actual content and become tablet sized.

Old style ARPGs have no future. GGG made the only game they could have made: a nostalgic throwback to D2, but better than D2 in every way. This is great if you miss D2 - and people who miss D2 are pretty much the only ARPG fans remaining. Think of it as the "special edition" at the end of the lifecycle of a popular car.

@ratapwnz wrote:The only thing i like is unique itemz wich have really unique effects.

Yeah, some of them were made by a brilliant mind. Twisted Evil

Edit: Build enablers/Johnny items at low levels are one of my goals, but many high end items were provided by diamond supporters.
Brother Laz
Care Bear

Flying Polar Buffalo Error

View user profile http://modsbylaz.vn.cz/

Back to top Go down

Post by zerger on Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:44 pm

@Brother Laz wrote: And quickie roguelikes, like Desktop Dungeons, have a bright future once they get more actual content and become tablet sized.

I am also starting to have more fun with Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup than with all the current H&S (while waiting for good mods for TL2). Its content is just amazing, I haven't launched Nethack again since I discovered it
zerger
Spike Beast

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Splift on Wed May 01, 2013 4:33 am

@Brother Laz wrote:Old style ARPGs have no future. GGG made the only game they could have made: a nostalgic throwback to D2, but better than D2 in every way. This is great if you miss D2 - and people who miss D2 are pretty much the only ARPG fans remaining. Think of it as the "special edition" at the end of the lifecycle of a popular car.
Imo this is just plain wrong. PoE is good, probably caught my attention for longer than any game in a long time (although I have already got bored of it and took a break from it) but d2 is still the pinnacle of arpg-ness after all these years. The reason is not some flaw with the genre, but the fact that no good games have been made recently to represent the genre.

poe compared to d2:

d2 has flashier skills that have more impact in every way (visual, audio, mechanics), bigger variety of skills (even though it all boils down to clicking the monster, it somehow feels different) that also leads into larger variety of builds and sub builds, larger variety of monsters, more interesting monster behavior (in 15 years no other game can make an arpg with better monster ai???), the games map and setting has more of an impact aesthetically and the story is better too (once again d2 is 15ish years old and is still untouched in this way in the arpg world).

torchlight 2 compared to d2:

I have hopes that some good mods will be made for this game. Honestly I have not been able to give this game much of a chance because I just can't get into it. The only reason I can guess is that the skills are too lame and uninteresting. They are more varied than PoE's skills, but just seem to lack that epic feel.... in fact the whole game seems to lack that epic feel. Maybe I will change my mind about this game once I give it more of a chance but it just feels like another d2 clone that lacks polish (although one of the best yet for sure).

d3 compared to d2:

d3 has all the polish and aesthetic beauty of a blizz game. Where it got screwed up is letting some of the main foundations that made d2 what it is dissapear. By that I mean character builds and itemisation. Respecs Gone Wild and the removal of stats totally destroyed builds..... now for the most part every single character from each respective class is the same. And the removal of stats is just fucking retarded.... their reasoning was that in d2 it was all min/max, min str/dex for eq rest vitality...... so rather than fix that system (like median xl and other mods did successfully) they just scrap the whole thing. Personally I think that blizz is a good enuff company that never gives up on their games and will eventually address these issues (likely with an expansion pack....)

Anyways these are just a few blanket statements about each game off the top of my head. If I went into each comparison in detail I could probably write an essay for each one (this is probably tl;dr as is). Think about it, in 15 years every other genre has made countless innovations in leaps and bounds (besides jrpgs perhaps...) that most players consider essential. The vast magority of arpg players still consider d2 to be the peak of the genre.
Splift
Blood Stone

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Splift on Wed May 01, 2013 4:55 am

@Roflknife wrote:-100% RNG crafting throughout the game is as bad as saving skill points in D2 ever was except you start using them at lvl 60 instead of 30 ffs.
Nah. If you save all the currency you get till 60 and use it to craft gear you will still end up with a pile of shit. The only method is to use that currency to buy mediocre gear from the few players rich enough to actually craft something good or noobs who think they can. Its common knowledge that unless you get super lucky the currency you spend to craft something will be worth 3-10x more than the item itself.

@Roflknife wrote:
-Meanwhile people who can afford a 5/6L with an Astramentis can play thousands of new builds that are unviable for a real player
all astramentis does is save you some nodes to put into MOAR hp or maybe increase your dps by .05% and all a 5/6l will do is add one or 2 more support gems to your existing build... although you are right about shavronnes, that is some op shit.

@Roflknife wrote:
- extreme effectiveness of stacking iiq/iir means rich people become more rich while normal players wallow in a stash full of shit

GGG basicaly created a farm to win game that only appeals to a bunch of no-life emos.
although I would agree that some of those 2 points is the same as d2, in d2 the "noob game" was way more fun. You could spend tons of time screwing around with different setups and builds and never have any leet eq whatsoever. In poe, playing around with various skills gets boring fast and the game quickly becomes a race to increase your hp/dps.
Splift
Blood Stone

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by taem on Wed May 01, 2013 9:25 pm

"old style arpgs have no future..."

Right, like when the N64 came out and all platforms switched from side-scrolling to 3d until developers realized consumers still liked sidescrollers, maybe even more then most 3d games, but it took them almost 2-console generations to figure it out! Case n point is sales - adjusted for inflation - and reviews of siiescrolling mario games as opposed to 3dmmario games, except forbmario64 which was the Avatar of 3d for the 64-bit era.... and now, nobody gives a fuck about 3d tv's...
taem
Dark Nephalem

View user profile https://sites.google.com/site/monkeymeatsauce/

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum