Path of Exile, yet died?

Page 5 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Path of Exile, yet died?

Post by Brother Laz on Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:36 am

The only reasons why people think phone games are the future is 1/ phones are hot 2/ Angry Birds. But throwing more phone games at the consumer hoping one of them will be the next Angry Birds is not a viable strategy, because Angry Birds itself just got lucky. Rovio is a game mill and they made dozens of other titles, none of which remotely successful. They just happened to make a decent game at a time when everyone bought their first smartphone. Other houses have paid attention and adopted the game spam strategy, cargo-culting the elements of popular games as if it would matter and hoping to hit the jackpot.

Also, the funny thing is that tech writers fall squarely into the target audience for these games (superficial, short attention span, too much money) so they will have an unrealistically positive view, which is how we end up with articles stating with a straight face that phones will displace consoles.

I can see AAA titles becoming equivalent to console titles and vice versa. Consoles are the easy but expensive option and AAA games are expensive (and easy). Next gen titles like Destiny, Awakened and The Crew are insane from a technical point of view, but the developers will take zero risks with gameplay and there is a good chance they'll do something dumb with their multiplayer functionality because they live in a dream world where their game and console are the centre of everyone's living room*. The difference between studios like Bungie/Bethesda and EA/Activision will be that the former don't make pants on head retarded design mistakes and the latter do. Everything they do will look pretty though (and cost €60 minimum + mandatory optional DLC).

PC will be the indie platform for discerning players. There is no point in spending €2K on an expensive gaming rig when consoles are cheaper. However everyone owns some kind of PC while a console requires extra investment. Games that run on any hardware have a massive potential audience (cfr League). Due to low development costs and potentially high income compared to phone games, each successful title will be followed by tons of shovelware. Expect AAA games to vanish from PCs entirely while Steam becomes the de facto standard for buying PC games. In the long term PCs will disappear, not because the consumer wants them to disappear but because they are no longer hip so all involved tech companies want them to go away. After all, most users don't care about creating content, they just want to consume like a potato.

Streaming services are a wildcard; the most likely outcome is that they will break through in about ~5 years after a few exclusivity contracts, but will only be playable in places with decent internet, meaning the big cities.

In the long run, the scene will be affected by worldwide economic trends, notably the disappearance of the middle class. Expensive consoles and their games as well as superfast internet for streaming games and fancy phones for apps will be the domain of the rich, while the masses who are currently middle class will become poor and will play lo-fi games on their trusty old PC.

Today's hacker culture mod scene will cease to exist. Someone (either Valve or an unexpected third party) will figure out a way to "reward talented creators for their efforts" and monetise mod development, turning the scene into a competitive battleground while the publisher acts as a gatekeeper. This will benefit the developers because it enables them to crowdsource game content to hordes of idiots craving to live the dream, turning every modmaker into a cheap freelance worker. (Today's example: custom items for Dota 2) There will still be games with the ability to create levels using a highly simplified sandbox editor; the editor will be their main selling point but making content will be so easy that there is no actual audience.

*A common mistake is segregating a multiplayer community by implementing mutually exclusive choices and not adding an "I don't care" option. Another thing developers keep doing is friend-centric online (NFS Autolog: beat the lap times of your friends!) which is somethig No. One. Ever. Uses. but presumably looks great as a bullet point on a presentation because social gaming is hip (cargo cult design again: just because something works in Farmville doesn't mean it'll work elsewhere).
Brother Laz
Care Bear

Flying Polar Buffalo Error

View user profile http://modsbylaz.vn.cz/

Back to top Go down

Post by Roflknife on Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:36 am

I dont like the farming curve in Path of exile. using a car analogy for items like Kaoms/shavroness and 6Ls, this is what i see it as:

All those top tier items are like Ferraris, Lamborginis etc
Meanwhile normal players are given a rusty bike. 

People keep telling me to work harder and earn enough for a ferrari. Problem is with a rusty bike how am i meant to find a job close with high pay to get a ferrari?
VAGINA
VAGINA

Last edited by Roflknife on Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:15 am; edited 2 times in total
Roflknife
Mangler

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by shrubbery on Wed Jun 19, 2013 2:06 am

I've been playing the new anarchy league these days, having a blast. It reminds me alot about the good things bout d2 (ladder/no max lvl/fun item grind). I tried Onslaught, but its insane, and my internet connection is to shitty to risk it all.

@Roflknife: How long have you played d2? I maybe found one (useless) high rune in all the years I played LoD. Never found a weapon with >150%ed in classic ... and I spent alot of time in the game. I've spent waaaay less time in PoE, yet I found an exalted orb, a couple of usefull quality gems, and a whole bunch of decent items. Maybe the "farming curve" is lower than in MedianXL, but thank god for that. This way you can set yourself some goals (like owning a six link shavronnes at the end of the ladder).

And how to earn yourself a ferarri: Chance orbs! Its like MedianXL's chaos reroll recipe! Or you can allways start out with a jaguar: sporkers (still) seem pretty OP.

shrubbery
Glowing Fungus

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by maskedmartyr on Wed Jun 19, 2013 5:31 am

Oh man I didn't even know 2handed swords were added to puncture's allowed weapons.

TBH the OP builds are fine if youre soloing.  If you really want to get somewhere in the game find some homeboys that don't mind synergizing a little bit.  Take some time to read the recipes, theres some you'll end up looking over easily like QL burn rolls.  Hell, try some "cheap" builds even that aren't neccessarily OP if you feel the game is boring yet your loot is lacking.  2hand magic axes can be literally made out of thin air for example, that can easily hit very high rolls and one shot enemies for good portions of the game.
maskedmartyr
Gloom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Anyway on Wed Jun 19, 2013 3:47 pm

PoE is pretty cool game Smile i like the way you can cr8 w/e you want Very Happy i started playing it from the start (open beta) and it was rly fun making your own spec Smile too bad i died like 400 times Sad qq nub me but now after some time not much tho im getting better in thinking of my own builds and raping ass Smile

Anyway
Prowler

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by archon256 on Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:33 am

I play PoE pretty casually. About 1-2 hours a day, softcore/solo/self-found only, usually quit before my character hits level 60 and start another one. Currently playing in Anarchy, and I've farming Merciless for once (lvl 62 Ice Spear/Power Charges on Crit + Cold Snap/Elemental Proliferation Shadow with Zombies and Skeletotem for tanking).

The base skills are worse than D3's, the graphics lag and desync are pretty frustrating, but everything else is great. I've maxed out on the free character slots (24 characters) and I'm waiting on the next batch of new skills to start another.
archon256
Amazon Warrior

I Am Someone

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by hdmxz on Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:40 am

the best arpg now a days.
hdmxz
Moon Knight

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by zerger on Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:53 am

hdmxz wrote:the best arpg now a days.

/facepalm
zerger
Spike Beast

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Roflknife on Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:09 am

laz for the love of god please write a guide for those diamond people making unique items. Almost 3/4s of them are BAD for the game as a whole.

They are useless gimmicks, brokenly OP or Diablo3StrongStatBoringAsFuck item.

Seriously look at the new unique flask. IIQ+IIR+MaxRes+LiteRadius on use. Its an item EVERYONE will be using as a no-brainer. This is worse than Kaom's Heart simply because EVERYONE will be using it no matter what. And even worse it puts players under pressure to spam it every single fight that matters.
Roflknife
Mangler

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by maskedmartyr on Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:35 am

The items are fine, in fact I'd consider some of the ones GGG made more gamebreaking. Be aware the game is beta too. Some gimmicky uniques will become far less gimmicky once more skills roll in (wishful thinking).

Now as to the latest flask, it's a large hybrid flask so its not that useful. It's significantly worse than mf elixir in medianxl since there are many things that will end the effect early. The maxres isnt terribly useful either. So youre basically attempting to minmax not having full life 24/7 which is more difficult than it sounds.
maskedmartyr
Gloom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum