ARPG framework brain dump

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: ARPG framework brain dump

Post by Roflknife on Mon May 13, 2013 3:38 pm

also, how does the gameplay work exactly?
IS this an ironman linear rpg race?
Roflknife
Mangler

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Roflknife on Sun May 19, 2013 9:46 pm

im bored.

Lets think of some random item names

"Ferro-dermis" armor anyone?
Roflknife
Mangler

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by axios on Sun May 19, 2013 10:19 pm

"This is sparta" boots?
axios
Slain Soul

weaK

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Splift on Thu May 30, 2013 8:00 am

Sounds cool. One thing i'm curious about is how the levels progress? Can you rerun areas? Or do you just progress forward through increasing difficulty ad infinitum or till the end of the game?

Also the score system sounds interesting and filled with potential but it could be hard to make difficulty scale with it. For example if you compare a new (crappy) player with an elite player, after a few levels the elite player would have become a lot stronger from being very efficient while the noob would be advancing much less. I guess the system would make the option to rerun the same difficulty essential unless there is some clever workaround.
Splift
Blood Stone

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Brother Laz on Thu Jun 13, 2013 2:11 pm

@Roflknife wrote:also, how does the gameplay work exactly?
IS this an ironman linear rpg race?

&

@Splift wrote:Sounds cool. One thing i'm curious about is how the levels progress? Can you rerun areas? Or do you just progress forward through increasing difficulty ad infinitum or till the end of the game?

Also the score system sounds interesting and filled with potential but it could be hard to make difficulty scale with it. For example if you compare a new (crappy) player with an elite player, after a few levels the elite player would have become a lot stronger from being very efficient while the noob would be advancing much less. I guess the system would make the option to rerun the same difficulty essential unless there is some clever workaround.

Not sure about progression yet, but I'm thinking of individual competitive, rerunnable, bite sized challenges instead of one long walk from start to finish. I believe in the way LoL/GRiD2/shooters work, where individual matches are skill based and there is an overarching "character" level on top that unlocks more diverse challenges (ranked mode, tier 4 cars etc).

Also this approach would be more modular, making it easier to create a functional version first and then sell DLC add more content - thinking ahead here.

I see your argument about snowballing, but if you are bad... well try again until you are good. (Hmm, how about progress also tied to performance so you don't fall behind, you just go up slower?)

Hardcore would be an interesting idea. It probably depends on the medium: phones and other ADHD platforms would benefit from ironman/permadeath/"Desktop Dungeons" gameplay while actual full games require persistence.

Let's see how next year pans out. If I don't get into the industry directly, it would be time to get to work myself.
Brother Laz
Care Bear

Flying Polar Buffalo Error

View user profile http://modsbylaz.vn.cz/

Back to top Go down

Post by Roflknife on Wed Nov 06, 2013 1:07 pm

you do know what you're describing in main post isn't a traditional ARPG?

and I can see PvP working very well with it. PvP dosen't usually work in ARPGs because of the gear factor (if you make gear interesting than you devalue skill, but if you nerf gear you end up with MMO +1+2 gear) but it worked in Diablo 2. I like to think of PvP in Diablo 2 as something more like a topdown FPS with more mechanics due to the different visual perspective and fantasy setting

I believe D2 managed to make gear interesting without making player skill irrelevant because counterintuitively the gear was TOO OP. Characters already did so much damage that good gear was overkill, ie it dosen't matter if you do 10k damage or 5k damage if your target only has 4k hp. I know its not that extreme but its this concept that explains why D2 managed make skill count in a PvP arena WITH interesting items

and BTW
Luckily modern games are not just about the grind: some games are mainly about character building and theorycrafting (Path of Exile! Play now!) and others are about immersion and story (Skyrim, GW2) or pvp competition (LoL). Still others just ignore all of the above and therefore fall on their face (D3).
If you ever start a indie game company, immersion and story are out of question since a large company can do better.

That leaves theorycrafting and PvP.
Roflknife
Mangler

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by buffaloburger on Mon Dec 30, 2013 5:58 pm

Don't rule out that DLC selling. Rather you made enough money to continue working than a one and done situation. Just ignore the petty constrains of morality Bro. No sarcasm. Day 1 DLC it up  Twisted Evil 

Really like the idea of a score system that ties into rewards while adding a little strategy to ability use. Could be used to add a level of depth lacking in the genre. This aspect could turn off casual players though by rewarding based on skill. Obviously hard to know until it is implemented, but could expand gameplay possibilities.

The magic + technology setting opens up more options than any other I can think of. Its practically the exact opposite of quasi-realistic settings that damn most modern games to be homogenized same-ness. The 12 class thing depends on if they all could be adequately differentiated. If they play too much alike less choices would actually be fine. Diverse styles and pro-con attributes would certainly entice multiple characters and more hours in game.

This non traditional ARPG could be just what the genre needs. It feels like gameplay hasn't progressed at all over the years. Something fresh would be great.
buffaloburger
Que-Hegan

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum