Cool story about captchas

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Cool story about captchas

Post by MarcoNecroX on Sun May 12, 2013 6:05 am

You probably saw those many times... And you probably didn't know, but there are 2 words for a reason:
- One word is the one you must answer correctly (which is stored somewhere as the correct answer) and thus the one that checks whether you are an human or not

I always wondered how could I pass the captcha sometimes when I was 100% sure I did an error - well, as I said only one word will check whether you are an human or not. So what's the other word? they are fragments from old newspapers / books / radio shows , that OCR (Optical Character Recognition) cannot properly read. So, those fragments are cut and put here so the humans translate those instead of the machines which are not flawless, in order to digitalize old books. So, you are not actually as useless as you thought, and your life has a very small purpose, being used by others without you noticing Smile

MarcoNecroX
Malthael

Führer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Cool story about captchas

Post by Frytas on Sun May 12, 2013 2:22 pm

I read an article about it some time ago. Cool to know,because it makes writing those 2 words less annoying,at least for me. In some way we're all helping Smile

Frytas
Mindless

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Aspirine101 on Sun May 12, 2013 3:33 pm

I don't get it, whats even the problem with a bot logging/downloading something? Why do they have to ensure that a human must? I know this is a stupid question, but I really don't know the answer...

Aspirine101
Lord Primus

Islamic B&D Princess
TGGood None

View user profile http://lmgtfy.com/?q=median+xl.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Wazuzu on Sun May 12, 2013 3:41 pm

Recaptcha is quite old. All easy words are already used, and what is left - serves only as Inglip joke material.

Wazuzu
Fairy Witch

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by axios on Sun May 12, 2013 3:43 pm

@aspirine101 wrote:I don't get it, whats even the problem with a bot logging/downloading something? Why do they have to ensure that a human must? I know this is a stupid question, but I really don't know the answer...
to prevent spamm and exploits?

axios
Slain Soul

weaK

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Aspirine101 on Sun May 12, 2013 3:59 pm

Thinking he's right...

Aspirine101
Lord Primus

Islamic B&D Princess
TGGood None

View user profile http://lmgtfy.com/?q=median+xl.com

Back to top Go down

Post by RollsRoyce on Sun May 12, 2013 8:58 pm

yep true story marco i have heard that as well...Qualitiy of Experience can be improved alot...google uses this or skype ...whenever it is possible let user work^^

RollsRoyce
The Smith

롤스로이스 ☆☆☆☆
TGBest Transferred

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum