What do you guys think about an actual currency for in-game items?

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Is a general currency a good idea?

33% 33% 
[ 11 ]
21% 21% 
[ 7 ]
18% 18% 
[ 6 ]
27% 27% 
[ 9 ]

Total Votes : 33

What do you guys think about an actual currency for in-game items?

Post by Zartok on Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:41 am

This post might belong to the TSW section but I'll post it here as it is a discussion.

I'm sure some of you heard about D2jsp which was made for trading items with forum gold insted of using runes/SOJs as currency. I know some guys have been trying to do just this but with points that u can use in their shop but this is flawed as it is only limited to those players and only when they are avalible/online is it possible to trade. As it is implimented cookies there could be something called Forum gold / FG as well? Or change the cookies into a currency?

What good would this do?
  • Increase the value of trading which is a big part of diablo2
  • A currency-system that last through resets/patches/mods
  • A system so that even new players can get items they are looking for without farming for weeks
  • Encourage regular ladder resets to get value from your saved FGs

If this is a success maybe it can be a good way to donate to this mod by buying FG from the owners?

Zartok
Edyrem

TGBest Transferred

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: What do you guys think about an actual currency for in-game items?

Post by The Big Ouchy on Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:29 pm

I kind of like the idea of a strange bartering system where different people value items differently rather than a standardized currency. When SOJs became the defacto currency it kind of ruined any fun there was to be had with trading. Having said that I play single player so I don't really care.

The Big Ouchy
Bear Shaman

More brilliant than Chuck Noris!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by vadust on Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:32 pm

vadust
Scaled Mutant

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Zartok on Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:13 pm

Yeah, and I did mention it. The problem is that the players are not often online so it is really hard to trade with them, the idea is to have the forum take the control over the points instead of people.

Zartok
Edyrem

TGBest Transferred

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Aspirine101 on Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:18 pm

Yeah it has been discussed before, and I think it would be very cool. Altho I remember Marco saying that he can't implement forum gold?

Aspirine101
Lord Primus

Islamic B&D Princess
TGGood None

View user profile http://lmgtfy.com/?q=median+xl.com

Back to top Go down

Post by RollsRoyce on Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:32 pm

the idea is good but the point is the actual trading is so much work, it was at a point were i couldnt even play anymore and still was busy for hours over days ....so this has to be fixed first.

If you just need a list that shows the value of an item to be able to compare the items for a trade ofc this is a nice innovation

RollsRoyce
The Smith

롤스로이스 ☆☆☆☆
TGBest Transferred

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by whist on Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:50 pm

A currency system directly on the forums isn't possible okay, but what about a trade place off-site.
Basic gold system, a top list of 10 richest players so you can flash your cash, etc

That would be fairly easy to code, I might get to work on this in spare lose time, like in free time where I'm not able to work on Sigma or whatever.

whist
Nihlathak

Huehuehue™

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by MarcoNecroX on Fri Aug 02, 2013 12:39 am

@whist wrote:A currency system directly on the forums isn't possible okay, but what about a trade place off-site.
Basic gold system, a top list of 10 richest players so you can flash your cash, etc

That would be fairly easy to code, I might get to work on this in spare lose time, like in free time where I'm not able to work on Sigma or whatever.

i have said this. it's not possible in THIS website. but if we find some kind of tool that already exists we could easily make a database on aahz server (where docs are stored) so we just need the 'program'.

My idea was:
- people buy gold $$, that gold goes to the funds of improving tsw and overall the cash needed for the whole project and site.
- people create accounts in this database, they can potentially have friends, maybe create their own lists, that's not relevant for a first version.
- people can spare these gold from acc to acc and add a comment field to say what's being paid for. includes dates etc.
- then people do the trades in-game. The hard part would be detecting scams, because it requires people and time.

- the BEST part of this system that I thought: people can get a refund of real cash at say a 1/4 real value. 1/4 would be almost like 1/2 for the
simple fact that there are taxes when transfering cash. But say you buy 1000 gold for 100$, whoever got 1000 gold just by selling items could
get a refund of 25$

MarcoNecroX
Malthael

Führer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by d2smurf on Fri Aug 02, 2013 5:13 am

i think it would be pretty cool to have a program to realize some kind of virtual market. not like a trading subforum with offer and need threads. u can easily enter items u found (should be based to an item database so u just choose the item) for trading, u can search for specific items or just browse what ppl are currently offering. can be combined with some kind of friendlists, leaving offline messages ("hey need dat jewel from ur list, when r u online?"), who-is-online, meet to play, bill-board (eg sayin "hey evryone keep an eye of stuff like xy need dat for some crazy build") last trades (so deriving suggestions for the value of an item), and of course some kind of "FG" currency integrated... and i think it should have absolutely nothing to do with real money

d2smurf
Jungle Hunter

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by MarcoNecroX on Fri Aug 02, 2013 5:46 am

@d2smurf wrote:i think it would be pretty cool to have a program to realize some kind of virtual market. not like a trading subforum with offer and need threads. u can easily enter items u found (should be based to an item database so u just choose the item) for trading, u can search for specific items or just browse what ppl are currently offering. can be combined with some kind of friendlists, leaving offline messages ("hey need dat jewel from ur list, when r u online?"), who-is-online, meet to play, bill-board (eg sayin "hey evryone keep an eye of stuff like xy need dat for some crazy build") last trades (so deriving suggestions for the value of an item), and of course some kind of "FG" currency integrated... and i think it should have absolutely nothing to do with real money

all what you mention are quite obvious suggestins that we would implement if we knew how and if we already had a working system that has no other flaws and can't be hacked
as for the real money, it's the only way to give a starting currency and increase the amount of people that trade. else we close the possibilities of people that trade to only those who can actually find something sellable, and are also the guys that less need to trade

MarcoNecroX
Malthael

Führer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum