Melee barbarian

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Melee barbarian

Post by Toluol on Thu Aug 01, 2013 5:28 pm

I just started a melee barbarian and killed Radament. I don't know where to put my skill points though. I tested following skills:

Thunderslam - pretty cool, does the skill timer ever go to zero?
Shower of Rocks - really good, but the delay is a bit annoying, but if Thunderslam never gets to zero, I think I'll max SoR
Earthquake - meh
Stormblast - doesn't really seem that useful
Fortress - not sure about that one

Stances: I wanted to max Wolf and Eagle stance (for survivability in Ureh or other ubers), but as Snake stance profits a lot from Eagle stance, I put my points into Snake stance.

Just some general advice and obviously answers to the above questions please Smile 

Toluol
Blood Rogue

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Melee barbarian

Post by wow123400 on Thu Aug 01, 2013 6:00 pm

All melee skills 1 point is enough,thunderslam is super good,but you do not need to waste too many points there

Fortress-barb is a style,go to guide section and read the guide(That's the first guide ever existed in this forum)

Stance,depends on what you like,bearstance will give you high damage and high dr,snake stance can make your enemies slow and get poison,which will work together with eagle very well,which will make you live longer

wolf stance is always good for at least one point cause the speed bonus

wow123400
Malthael

High Posting Cookie Monster
TGGood 100

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Quirinus on Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:22 pm

I posted a long post recently about it, but I guess it got swept away to the archive in the recent forum cleanup.

Here it is:
http://www.medianxl.com/t2593-first-time-player-using-barb#54741

Quirinus
Creature of Flame

Bloody High Five
TGGood none

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Toluol on Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:52 pm

Thanks! I'm still wondering whether Thunder Slam can achieve a 0 seconds skill timer Razz 

Toluol
Blood Rogue

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by vadust on Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:02 pm

It can not even hit 3 sec spell timer, max what is possible 4 sec i think.

vadust
Scaled Mutant

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Asteroth on Fri Aug 02, 2013 3:01 am

Stormblast is also very powerful. It looks deceiving when you read the damage numbers on the char sheet, but it hits quite hard

Asteroth
Hardliner

Well-Sourced Debater
TGBest Transferred

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Frostbite on Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:06 pm

@Toluol wrote:I just started a melee barbarian and killed Radament. I don't know where to put my skill points though. I tested following skills:

Thunderslam - pretty cool, does the skill timer ever go to zero?
Shower of Rocks - really good, but the delay is a bit annoying, but if Thunderslam never gets to zero, I think I'll max SoR
Earthquake - meh
Stormblast - doesn't really seem that useful
Fortress - not sure about that one

Stances: I wanted to max Wolf and Eagle stance (for survivability in Ureh or other ubers), but as Snake stance profits a lot from Eagle stance, I put my points into Snake stance.

Just some general advice and obviously answers to the above questions please Smile 

I am playing a melee barbarian recently, too, and use mainly Stormblast and Lion Stance. Like other people said, it's probably best to put 1 point into every melee attack and maximize other skills.

Thunderslam is good to stun monsters and spread poison and slow, but you can't really use it as a main attack, because of the cooldown. Shower of Rocks hits quite hard and applies a debuff, which stacks with slow I think, but it takes a while for the rocks to start dropping, as you noticed. Earthquake might be nice if you maximize strength. But I think most people use Stormblast as the main attack, simply because it hits each frame (25 times per second) and also converts physical damage to lightning damage (you can reduce enemy resistance), so it works great with sources of flat damage, like Lion Stance or the wolves' curse. There is also Blood Hatred for dual-wielders, which heals you a lot, as long as you're hitting stuff with it.

As for the stances, I use Lion Stance, which adds a lot of flat magic damage, but you have to invest your stat points into strength and maximize it (it also adds percentage weapon damage). Snake Stance adds up to 50% slow and if you maximize Eagle Stance too, it also adds a lot of poison damage (useful with attacks that cover a large area, like Thunderslam). Bear Stance is useful even with 1 point, because it removes resistances of undead, so you can kill them even if they are immune, and if you invest in it, it adds some nice defense and percentage weapon damage. Eagle Stance is good for healing and synergizing Snake Stance. Wolf Stance is useful for walking very fast even with 1 point or for extra damage and crushing blows. There is also Kraken Stance on some items, which adds a lot of flat elemental damage and benefits from points into all other stances. And some items have Crane Stance, which adds percentage weapon damage and avoid.

Fortress is nice as a backup attack with only 1 point. If you want to use it more often, you need to invest 20 points in it, to minimize the timer, but then you're not very melee. As for the other skills, I like to put 1 point into the skills in the spirit tree, to get Spirit Walk, which spreads your stance to your mercenary and minions, and lets you teleport from time to time. Some skills worth investing into are Wolf Companion (a multiple of 5), Spirit Guide (for some defense) and the uber skill of your choice - Nephalem Weapons is good with fast-hitting attacks like Stormblast, though I prefer Runemaster, so I rarely get hit.

Frostbite
Jungle Hunter

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by aubreybolejack1 on Sat May 17, 2014 2:28 am

Choosing a right hair color for yourself is important when you decide to change a hairstyle.So it is with the hair wig.Some people choose to wear hair wigs when they want a fresh hair style.And there are different hair colors of hair wigs for different people,such as European style wigs for white women and African American hair wigs for black women.

aubreybolejack1
Kill Rat

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by gg2 on Sat May 17, 2014 2:50 am

WTF is that?

gg2
Scaled Mutant

Marco's Favorite

View user profile

Back to top Go down