Caster questions

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Caster questions

Post by Arioch on Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:04 am

Everytime I come back to Median I start with caster characters, like now. I welcome every one of your experience, suggestions, but to be sure, I'm NOT looking for builds based on an oskill (former BFG zon, Cataclysm holy paly, etc) as a MAIN. Even with that, I sometimes uses oskills of course (amazon helm with a lightning and a cold skill, for example), so build suggestions which uses one or two oskills as a support are very welcome. And, for forum rules, as it's NOT a short question, I left it here and because I checked the builds, I got some questions answered but there are still some. Here are the questions:

Bloodzon:

Thankfully, Bacchanalia now gives bonus to a fix (1/3) health and it gives you health boost+bonus to every spell. I like the Bloodzon set (in past games), is it works well with this? I mean, spells costs life instead of mana but it heals you back...
Also, Elementals: Do you need them anything besides tanking? The skill's page said, they give 5% fire damage and 50% fire pierce-is it for them only or for you also? If NOT, I'll try again pure caster. If yes, well, I shouldn't skip that boost.
Is there a max for the number of magic missiles or just the number you could achieve with +skills/+mm missiles?

Bombsin:

No Premed means you need points to Blink for lower cooldown to make "old" Bombsin (Blink+bomb, blink+bomb).
I'm glad there are some options to left-click now, and like Limpet laser (very good skill) and former Fire fountain from old Druid (very old, maybe Median 2008 I think). Plus, you can cast bomb where you want not under your feet. So, is there a "new" caster/bomber build? Like Limpet laser+cluster mine, for exemple... If I choose left-click Limpet laser, I'll max it also. But if I choose Singularity (as a main, not a boss killer) it makes the timer active, so no blinking (and not needed to invest hard skill points also).
With the assist of the Shadow clone of you, does she dies under the effect of Phase bomb? She melee a lot.. If yes, I think I'd rather choose Way of gryphon to boost Electrofield sentry instead... Shadow clone is a very strong summon, so I'm sure I'll use her for killing/distraction.

Fire/ice druid:

Now THAT'S a boost! I was amazed, I remember when F/C druid was a mediocre char... Like the coming-back idea that Elemental and Hunting banshee takes additional missiles after every 15 hard skill points. You can still kill everyone in the game just with fire/ice skills? I mean, enemies with no immunity shields (and of course, neon fiends needs an additional poison/physical/magic damage source) or you have to invest to poison tree (Plague avatar and Acid fiends)? I like minions but don't want to resummon them after every fight.... (just as with Bloodzon). Also, which uber do you suggest-Force of nature or Tremor? Earlier versions, I was happy with Fon as it boosted the damage with a decent number.

(lastly, for now):
Caster holy paladin:

Okay, like the idea of Resonance because he need to be boosted to counter the lack of Superbeast. I don't like Searing glow, only used it defensively, so skipped (as a main). Brimstone is a wonder, I always use this skill, the new one which replaces Ring of light is great, I use that also. Winterstorm-I like he has now an ice skill, but as an ice skill it needs some other source of boosts then any "normal" caster holy paly item gives (+fire/magic spell damage). Is it worth to invest or rather use Rising dawn instead? I don't think there is a way to boost decently three damage types (fire/cold/magic) effectively, so I'll boost only two but that means other items for fire/cold and fire/magic.

Thanks for any answers/suggestions!

Arioch
Maelstrom Lord

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Caster questions

Post by hellgrind on Tue Aug 06, 2013 11:22 am

Bloodzon:
She's quite good at early-game, but later on she's not that good. She require a decent gear and a lot of skill switching, so it's not good as starter char. But when u get a good craft+ some su/set items she can be "faceroll" char if u play her correctly.

Bombsin:
She can be good for killing bosses like astro, qt, some new ultimate bosses. But she require good gear and it's hard to get charms. I don't really play with bombsin so i can't talk much more, maybe other will tell you more.

Fire/cold Druid:
The easiest char for getting basic charms, and even the higher one (belial,qt (i don't count astro, because it's really hard to kill with caster druid)). My first charm I have done when i enter dest was Legacy of Blood and Jugement Day. I did it wiht T3 gear. But It require some skill switching but not that often as u might think. And for acid fiends, you get put 1 point into it and they will tank for you, even without +minion stats gear. Fire gives you life and some good single target skill.

Holy casterdin:
I can't tell you about it because i've never play as holy caster. Better switch to unholy, he's better imo Smile

Also there is caster sorc and there are 2 maybe 3 options:
Fire/cold:
Just read this: http://www.medianxl.com/t456-v6e-tanya-the-sorceress

Poison/whatever you like:
The main skill would be either Carpet of spiders or Lorenado. The other element is for your choise. Light gives you avoid and lots of TCD but it require good base defence items. It gives you also the best single target skill: Thunderstone. Cold gives you flat def and good tank minions (ice elements) and also some def bonus from ice elements aura.

hellgrind
Burning Dead

Not so well known...

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Istaryu on Tue Aug 06, 2013 11:58 am

@hellgrind wrote:
i don't count astro, because it's really hard to kill with caster druid

What? Spam hunting banshee trough the wall... It doesnt matter if you kill the statues since banshee will 1shot astro

Istaryu
Curst Guard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by grimjerk on Tue Aug 06, 2013 12:43 pm

For the holy caster I would personally go fire/magic/physical since that which boosts magic damage also boosts physical damage. As for unholy being "better" he certainly requires less skill--three auto targeting attacks and one that blankets a small area--and has better survivability plus no stat problems, but holy has some powerful offense. With buffing and max VoJ and L&S the damage can get pretty high. Everything under the sun-thingy of Rising Dawn gets struck by magic damage--not sure how wide the track is--and you have already discovered the roasty goodness of brimstone.

My problem with Searing Glow is that it seems to damage eratically. In lots of areas of hatred--so no physical immunes to account for--it will positively crush some monsters and barely tickle other. Great one point wonder debuff though.

grimjerk
Prince Albrecht

Grumpy Uncle Grimjerk knows best!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Arioch on Tue Aug 06, 2013 1:33 pm

@hellgrind wrote:Bloodzon:
She's quite good at early-game, but later on she's not that good. She require a decent gear and a lot of skill switching, so it's not good as starter char. But when u get a good craft+ some su/set items she can be "faceroll" char if u play her correctly.

Bombsin:
She can be good for killing bosses like astro, qt, some new ultimate bosses. But she require good gear and it's hard to get charms. I don't really play with bombsin so i can't talk much more, maybe other will tell you more.

Fire/cold Druid:
The easiest char for getting basic charms, and even the higher one (belial,qt (i don't count astro, because it's really hard to kill with caster druid)). My first charm I have done when i enter dest was Legacy of Blood and Jugement Day. I did it wiht T3 gear. But It require some skill switching but not that often as u might think. And for acid fiends, you get put 1 point into it and they will tank for you, even without +minion stats gear. Fire gives you life and some good single target skill.

Holy casterdin:
I can't tell you about it because i've never play as holy caster. Better switch to unholy, he's better imo Smile

Also there is caster sorc and there are 2 maybe 3 options:
Fire/cold:
Just read this: http://www.medianxl.com/t456-v6e-tanya-the-sorceress

Poison/whatever you like:
The main skill would be either Carpet of spiders or Lorenado. The other element is for your choise. Light gives you avoid and lots of TCD but it require good base defence items. It gives you also the best single target skill: Thunderstone. Cold gives you flat def and good tank minions (ice elements) and also some def bonus from ice elements aura.

Thanks for the lots of infos! Still don't know some things like (zon's) elemental's hard skill points things and like that. I will try it soon.
Now, playing the "classic" bombsin, max electric/fire timebombs, blink to 3.0 sec, 1 point to everything until Way of the phoenix and plan to max Limpet laser (I like this skill Smile
About fire/ice druid, I only want to max out elemental/hunting banshee, later goodberry and lifeshield. I think there won't be any problem with druid, but as suggested, 1 point everything in poison tree (like Plague avatar and very much liked every old "cold" versions of it).
For bloodzon, I left elementals 1 point, +all skills make the rest (+5 all skills at level 26 with runewords/magicals and it won't be less but more when get uniques/rares). As they're immune to fire, they only really suffer from poison or heavy physical enemies-for now.
Holy paly-I don't know, why but I like the idea. I know unholy is better and that was the last character I played before I left Median for a while, with it's set he did almost all the ubers easily, but for now, holy seems better for me. The only question is use/not use Winterstorm. I'll figure it out later.
Also thanks for all the answers not just yours.

Arioch
Maelstrom Lord

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by hellgrind on Tue Aug 06, 2013 1:57 pm

@Istaryu wrote:
@hellgrind wrote:

What? Spam hunting banshee trough the wall... It doesn't matter if you kill the statues since banshee will 1shot astro
Yes, but if u have luck u can 1 shot her, but if u don't it can take a lot of time and u may die a lot.

@Arioch
As you'll play as bombsin also try to max psonic storm. It's really good semi-aoe skill. And for that laserthingy it's fun to watch and listen a pew pew sound but it later stages of the game this skill don't do as much dmg as you want. Ofc it have chance to annihilate any mob but it's very low. Of and for a later game try to get immolation bomb (or whatever it's called ;p), it's better than standard fire bomb u have.

hellgrind
Burning Dead

Not so well known...

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by abu on Tue Aug 06, 2013 2:08 pm

get -200 cold res spam mythal where u stay then spam banshee she will blink next to u and stay in mythal then she will loose res and bäm dead

abu
Living Flame

TGBest none

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Arioch on Tue Aug 06, 2013 2:10 pm

@hellgrind wrote:
@Istaryu wrote:
@hellgrind wrote:

What? Spam hunting banshee trough the wall... It doesn't matter if you kill the statues since banshee will 1shot astro
Yes, but if u have luck u can 1 shot her, but if u don't it can take a lot of time and u may die a lot.

@Arioch
As you'll play as bombsin also try to max psonic storm. It's really good semi-aoe skill. And for that laserthingy it's fun to watch and listen a pew pew sound but it later stages of the game this skill don't do as much dmg as you want. Ofc it have chance to annihilate any mob but it's very low. Of and for a later game try to get immolation bomb (or whatever it's called ;p), it's better than standard fire bomb u have.

Okay, I'll try psionic storm then. I like Limpet laser NOt just because of the sound and for watching, but it's fast and freezes mob so I can bomb them-as I don't have high level chars (yet) I have to try things, that's why I asked for answers. Thanks for the advice!

Arioch
Maelstrom Lord

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by grimjerk on Tue Aug 06, 2013 2:19 pm

+1 on the psionic storm especially if you are going to use singularity.

The thing with the freeze is you have to factor in the freeze length reduction in destruction.

grimjerk
Prince Albrecht

Grumpy Uncle Grimjerk knows best!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Arioch on Tue Aug 06, 2013 3:50 pm

@grimjerk wrote:+1 on the psionic storm especially if you are going to use singularity.

The thing with the freeze is you have to factor in the freeze length reduction in destruction.

Okay, I'll go for Psionic storm. as some of you recommended, I remember when it was near useless even on higher levels, but that was much time ago. If you go with Psionic storm and singularity, why even need the elemental bombs? Smile

Arioch
Maelstrom Lord

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum