Holy Caster Ramblings

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Holy Caster Ramblings

Post by grimjerk on Mon Aug 12, 2013 5:15 pm

I didn't want to clutter up the short questions thread with any more text walls but I had some more suggestions for Jesus Juice--and anyone else who is interested--on the subject of the Holy Caster.

As some guy pointed out in the SQT

@grimjerk wrote:

There are several ways to do it, but for all of them I suggest maxing VoJ and L&S. The damage can get up there especially if you abuse the precastability and long duration of VoJ. If you are playing single player and aren't using D2SE with plugy, start. That extra storage will save your sanity and give you the room to do things like the following.

Make a full set of equipment, all T6. A heraldic shield for the shield and an ax--the second biggest one, just above hand-ax. The reason being is that the T6 ax has the lowest req of any one hander capable of 6 sockets and the heraldic shield the lowest req shield capable of 4 sockets--and it's req is strength rather than dex. Turn all of these into honorifics--see docs if unsure how. Stuff everygthing with Hel runes. Now you have +150% physical/magic damage from your armours and weapon.

Find the lowest level, highes +skill amulet and rings you can find. Since we are only woried about the +%phy/magic damage MO's we will only be adding 30 levels to them so the higher level you are the more plus skills you can get. Explanation: Each +1 skill raises our VoJ damage about 30%. 14ish from VoJ going up a level and 15 for L&S going up a level. Not bad. Get +6 skills (+x paladin skills too) and that is close to another +180% damage. Let's call it 175 to be conservative.

Now, MO everything with 15 +1% phys/magic damage MOs. Since we are using honorifics these will add a total of +30% per honerific and 15% from each piece of bling. That is a total of +255% damage.

Lets do the Math. 150+175+255=580. Not bad for easily aquired gear. This uses the +6 skills example.

Eventully you will want to lay hand on a T6 Angel star with +4 pally skills and as close to the +40% +phys mark as you can. Get it doubled up with the I need a life MO and now you have a weapon that boost your damage ~190% /w 3 Hel runes.

Keep the gear in your stash and return to town whenever you need to--which is a lot less often than you would think, once the level of VoJ really gets up there. You can MO your weapon with 15 +buff MOs as you have the room.

[/textwall]
So I always recomend this as the damage gets quite high and is auto targeting.

The Holy Caster has a ton of possibilties when we start looking at o-skills to augment our native ones. Here are two variations based on skills mentioned in RollsRoyce's excellent ForeCast guide. (Even if you have no interest in playing a caster barb, read this guide. It will open your eyes to the possibilities available through o-skills). The skills are Apocolypse and Devouring Cloud. Again, see RR's guide to learn the damage potentials of these skills.

Variation 1. Native Fire/O-skill poison.

Smax VoJ, L&S, Brimstone. 20 points in Blazing Fury (This gives us -100% EFR, so none is needed on our equipment except against ubers) Leftovers in Rapture and your Level 90 skills. Take Resurect unless you are going to summon as well.
Get gloves and Amulet with Devouring Cloud o-skill, Shoot for +35-40 levels between the two.

To keep this from turning into a quide I won't mention anything else about equipment except to point out the obvious that one set of weapon and shield should be optimized for fire, the other poison.

So we have three types of pretty decent damage and some freedom to customize skill point wise.

Variation 2. Native Cold/O-skill fire.

Smax VoJ, L&S, Winterstorm, 20 points in Blazing fury--for the same reason--the rest as per Variation 1.
Lay your hands on a T6 Auto Da Fe and the best roll Apocalypse boots you can roll. The closer you can get to 40--between the two- the better.

"Now Grimjerk, why use Apocalypse when Brimstone is such a great skill?"

The advantage of this setup is that Brimstone does a TON of fire damage to a small area. Forget what the skill discription says, I have never seen the fire pool get bigger than 8-ish yards. Apocalypse, at level 40 with a decent cast rate, will do slightly less damage to everything in 16 yards that does not have an obstacle between you and it. Now pair that with the Resonance mechanic of Winterstorm. Cast a Brimstone globe at your feet and wham-o, cold damage shot at everything you have a clean line of sight to in 16 yards. So you have one skill that is auto targeting and two that do not require aiming.

I might write a guide after the patch and after I get around to writing that Buckshot-mancer guide.

grimjerk
Prince Albrecht

Grumpy Uncle Grimjerk knows best!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Re: Holy Caster Ramblings

Post by RollsRoyce on Mon Aug 12, 2013 10:43 pm

now you got one

RollsRoyce
The Smith

롤스로이스 ☆☆☆☆
TGBest Transferred

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by GregMXL on Mon Aug 12, 2013 10:51 pm

Grimjerk,I like your comments and they are always informative so I'm giving you a Badge. Thumbs Up Good job.

GregMXL
Zorun Tzin

Epic Admin
TGBest Transferred

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by grimjerk on Tue Aug 13, 2013 12:56 am

@GregMXL wrote:Grimjerk,I like your comments and they are always informative so I'm giving you a Badge. Thumbs Up Good job.
Well thank you, sir. Damn decent of you to say so. Thanks for the badge! Cheers! 

One of the things I have like in this mod is the room for experimentation. So much stuff out there to try and to see what works well with what and when I see something that hasn't been mentioned--at least in recent forum activity--which I think deserves calling attention to then I feel obligated to share.

A cookie for Morning Glory to alleviate his cyber-carbohydrate poverty.

@GregMXL I will shoot you one in a few days so it doesn't seem like nut-huggery. Spinning Mr. Green

*edit: Rolls beat me too cookie-ing MG, so a cookie for Rolls then.

grimjerk
Prince Albrecht

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by grimjerk on Tue Aug 13, 2013 4:24 pm

Sorry in advance for the double post but this one, unlike the last, has something useful to contribute.

A lot of people--some expert players--say to just one point VoJ and L&S, but I think they are overlooking two things. One the damage potential of the Holy sides VOJ and the following. It normally isnt really possible to maximize the potential of 3 different types of spell damage--except for the combo of phys/magic + element x. Because of the long duration of VoJ we can maximize it's damage and still max two of the other 4 (fire,cold,lighning,poison). There is something to be said for that.

The same, it is well known, is true for SoD. Unholy has even more potential in this respect because we can have two sets of buff gear, one for VoJ and one for SoD. Slap on the Apocalypse gear max max mind flay and slayer. Optimize your active gear for fire and lighning. Slayer won't do as much damage since our magic boosters are on the prenuff but it is still useful for multiplying our mind flay damage plus slayers knock back anything that can be knocked back.

grimjerk
Prince Albrecht

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by GregMXL on Tue Aug 13, 2013 4:29 pm

Really making me want to play a Holy Caster. Never even tried one yet. Thumbs Up 

GregMXL
Zorun Tzin

Epic Admin
TGBest Transferred

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by The Big Ouchy on Tue Aug 13, 2013 4:33 pm

Try a hybrid build with a staff on switch, a 1 handed melee weapon and hierodule as your helm for the insane breakpoints. Searing glow and resonance from brimmstone add to your survival considerably.

The Big Ouchy
Bear Shaman

More brilliant than Chuck Noris!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by grimjerk on Tue Aug 13, 2013 4:38 pm

*Slaps head* Thanks Ouchy.got to mention Searing Glow! Great debuff when Resonant. But don't forget kids, even if their AR is zero, they can still hit you (especially if you are running cause then your DR is zero)

grimjerk
Prince Albrecht

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by RollsRoyce on Tue Aug 13, 2013 4:40 pm

Well i like to compare builds with numbers, here we go:
Holy vs Unholy
Cast speed
5<--->4
Dmg