The Story of a Cookie Seller (Modding Analogy)

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

The Story of a Cookie Seller (Modding Analogy)

Post by MarcoNecroX on Fri Aug 16, 2013 12:45 am

In an attemp to explain why there will be a last version of Ultimative so we can move on to work on SIGMA, and why .TXT files will most likely not be released, here's a little story for ya:

The Story of the Cookie Seller (MODDING ANALOGY) - by MarcoNecroX

You are a cookie seller. You not only need to sell cookies but you need to pack them into boxes to deliver them. You have cookies of different flavors and each one has boxes with different sizes. For example, the classic cookie box could use a box with capacity of 200 cookies, while the less mainstream ones would use boxes of 100.

As a point of view of a soft-coder: you can never increase the size of a box. You will try to sell 250 cookies in a box that can only carry 200. You keep trying, because Median is about putting 250 cookies in a box that can only carry 200 (cLoD). First you fit 220 (Median XL), and fine, you deliver them. Since they don't fit, one cookie will probably break in the way. Sad

You keep working and wanting to sell more and more cookies. You parallely make them of different colors, just to impress people. This time, you fit 230 (Ultimative) in the box of 200 cookies. Remember, you can never increase the size of a box! When you deliver the cookies this time, 5 cookies break due to lack of space, and even a cookie that was in a safe-position from the box, gets broken, and you didn't have that planned, no, not at all.

The customer is angry now. You have a task. You need to "fix" that box of 200 cookies that has 230 cookies inside. Some are broken, that's not a problem, you simply replace them like you replace a legacy item. The problem is, you have to fit 230 cookies in that box, and figuring out how you will do that is ten times harder than sending the cookies in two separated box, but that's not possible. The word expand is forbidden, you can only create more cookies of different flavors, but not pack them.

However, after a lot of time, you are able to successfully put 230 cookies in a box, because me and Laz rock. Good job, now get used to it, because noone wants 200 cookies anymore, they want 250 (Ultimative vX + Ladder Reset). You had problems fitting 230 cookies, you will have even more trouble fitting 250. You try to make them a bit smaller without people realising it.

You make it, you fit 250 cookies in a box. But when they are delivered, THE BOX BREAKS. What? Cookies were breaking but we never got a box to break, all the cookies fell to the ground and got eaten by pesky cockroaches. You lost it all, for trying to fit 250 cookies in a 200-cookie box. If I had simply put 200, there would have been no problem at all.

But here comes the second try, we fit again 250 cookies in a 200 box, and we call that box MXL: Ultimative X. We need to take care of it. This time, we take the time to deliver it to our customer ourselves. This time we are alone, covering every aspect of our non-profit cookie-"business" to stay alive.

So all the good times, all the popularity, all the fame of this Cookie Shop has to be SEALED. If we give the instructions to someone else that is not experienced in fitting cookies where they don't fit, he or she will most likely fuck up, confuse people and more, due to lack of experience. He will even fail to deliver 210 cookies even if that was never a problem for us. This is the reason why I don't release the .txt files. I'm not saying noone is capable of, but if he is, he will never be able to break my 250 cookies in a box record. And if he takes 10 years to fit 251, then it's still a failure because it's going to take 20 more years to fit 252. So, bitch please, if I can't, you can't. This is sealed. You are asked to make a new project where you can finally also set the size of the boxes (hard-coding). YES YES YES, I'll take it. Because Ultimative X, the box of 200 cookies with 250 is just not worth improving. The ratio of time:content is just too fucked up to work on it.

End of the story.
I hope you liked it.

MarcoNecroX
Malthael

Führer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The Story of a Cookie Seller (Modding Analogy)

Post by NlN on Fri Aug 16, 2013 12:56 am

+1 cookie for dat cookiebox-seller.

NlN
Mangler

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by wiseley on Fri Aug 16, 2013 1:00 am

Fantastic analogy!
Lets enjoy the 250 cookies ATM while waiting for a bigger box Laughing

wiseley
Thunder Beetle

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Inertia on Fri Aug 16, 2013 1:07 am

Sigma is 9001 cookies.

Inertia
Astral Guardian

TGBest Transferred

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by kraiden on Fri Aug 16, 2013 1:47 am

Really good read. Thanks for being an awesome cookie-boxer Thumbs Up

kraiden
Hungry Dead

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by MarcoNecroX on Fri Aug 16, 2013 1:55 am

Thanks, my english is getting worse everyday though Sad

MarcoNecroX
Malthael

Führer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by whist on Fri Aug 16, 2013 1:55 am

whist
Nihlathak

Huehuehue™

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by arhowk on Fri Aug 16, 2013 2:01 am

@MarcoNecroX wrote:This is the reason why I don't release the .txt files. I'm not saying noone is capable of, but if he is, he will never be able to break my 250 cookies in a box record. And if he takes 10 years to fit 251, then it's still a failure because it's going to take 20 more years to fit 252. So, bitch please, if I can't, you can't.
bit cocky much? Very Happy I'm not saying your bad, im saying that theres plenty of other people that are good modders (or COULD be great modders but are working on much more advanced engines)

arhowk
Thunderbolt

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by MarcoNecroX on Fri Aug 16, 2013 2:02 am

@arhowk wrote:
@MarcoNecroX wrote:This is the reason why I don't release the .txt files. I'm not saying noone is capable of, but if he is, he will never be able to break my 250 cookies in a box record. And if he takes 10 years to fit 251, then it's still a failure because it's going to take 20 more years to fit 252. So, bitch please, if I can't, you can't.
bit cocky much? Very Happy

Not really, it just sounded like that Razz thing is, whoever wants to keep working on it does not only need to have good modding skills but also understand the files from MXLU Razz

MarcoNecroX
Malthael

Führer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ufoleet on Fri Aug 16, 2013 2:03 am

Just curious, from the programming point of view, what's limiting the amount of content you can put in? Is it just MPQ archive compression limitation or just a trivial overflow in D2 hard code? If it's the D2 problem, wouldn't it be possible to reverse engineer it and inject dll to overwrite it?

ufoleet
Arachnida

Server Hoster

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum