why is medianxl (and tsw2) so unknown?

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

why is medianxl (and tsw2) so unknown?

Post by d2smurf on Wed Aug 28, 2013 3:24 pm

by using google to search bout specifics of diablo and/or medianxl i also found some boards about diablo which still were quiet active. but it seems most ppl dont know about mods/alternative realms. so some newbs ask if its worth to start d2, or switch from d3 to d2, and ppl like "nah its dead online" "full of bots" "realms are split up its crap y not one realm"
well - we have all problems solved here, plus i think medianxl ux is uberawesome(didnt go to work or do my study stuff :O lol). im playin now for a month or sth and i absolutely love it, i dont see me playin clod again atm :O
however, as i said playin mods or alternative realms is hardly mentioned when the question bout diablo2 comes up.

how about some advertising? or is it meant to be to have a small and exclusive community? i mean c'mon, i dont think we get flooded anyway lol. but it cracks me up to have this awesome stuff here and then reading that online d2 is dead. (i'm definitively goin to make a teaser video when i progressed enough, have tons recorded :p)

d2smurf
Jungle Hunter

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: why is medianxl (and tsw2) so unknown?

Post by GregMXL on Wed Aug 28, 2013 3:36 pm

Well you can't really advertise mods for a game because Blizzard owns the rights to Diablo and doesn't support mods for it. Advertising costs money and no one here really gets paid and modders really aren't allowed to ask for money for themselves personally. The original crew of people who worked for Blizzard that created Diablo 2 are all gone anyway but unfortunately Blizzard could care less about anything not WoW or Starcraft related. But when it comes to D2 mods you can't find a better forum/community than this.

GregMXL
Zorun Tzin

Epic Admin
TGBest Transferred

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by d2smurf on Wed Aug 28, 2013 3:45 pm

i don't mean official advertising, but eg being active in other boards to spread the word, having an active official fb (... yay i know) page posting screenshots videos news tips guides whatev. the normal stuff to show sth goin on here

i played all my life clod but until this year i never touched a mod or sth. because its seemed so unpopular and i thought its some silly nerdstuff, and thats a lil bit the image it has i feel. i was never interested in this cause "pfff d2lod is the real thing dont bother me with this weird unprofessional underground stuff" (lil exaggerated but yay)

unless u r really into this and are willing to search around and try out, u dont play it or you dont keep playin it. im a big fan of selfeffort so ppl who are interested should make their way to this mod/realm on its own, but its not as obv to do so as many here might think

d2smurf
Jungle Hunter

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by kambala on Wed Aug 28, 2013 4:23 pm

I'm doing my best to deliver MXL to Russian-speaking players, but it's not like I register at every D2 forum and copy-paste info about the mod

kambala
Follower of Akarat

View user profile http://worldofplayers.ru/forums/769/

Back to top Go down

Post by iwansquall on Wed Aug 28, 2013 4:28 pm

Actually it is quite well known, except maybe they dunno about TSW.

I went to anime forum, there is asking for best hack n slash.

Answer: MedianXL

That surprised me.

iwansquall
Blood Golem

Underpowered Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Aspirine101 on Wed Aug 28, 2013 4:55 pm

Did they say MXLU tho? Very Happy

Aspirine101
Lord Primus

Islamic B&D Princess
TGGood None

View user profile http://lmgtfy.com/?q=median+xl.com

Back to top Go down

Post by MarcoNecroX on Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:36 am

I'm always doing what I can to keep MXL, the forums and TSW on equal quality.

And to be honest... it pays off. I think the quality changes are notable on version XI, I mean the way it was modded is way more mature to what I've done in the first ultimative versions (things that sadly still exist...). And when things go well, the rest goes alone by itself... cycles made a huge impact in the game and it's something that didn't take me more than a few minutes to make (and thing that sadly I didn't have more time to expand even more).

Now that for the game, for the forums I've done a lot of things I thought of, different layouts, cookies, badges, country flags, unique domain, hardly any bots or pop-ups. I offered to drastically change the layout (because this forum still looks like Windows 98) but people seemed to like the current one so... I've also pushed all the bots like google, yahoo, bing so that they track the forum and link almost every thread in google... in fact when I write Median XL in google, i get suggested "Median XL v7" (lol) and ultimative ofc. But then again the #1'st option is Laz site, just after it this forum.

Finally, for TSW, there isn't a LOT I can do, as basically I can't choose whether someone will donate a GS. I made the MP version totally private and injected a bug in SP version so that noone can host a realm with SP version without crashing. I see a lot of complaints of people from other servers begging for MXLU; but it just won't happen, and these people eventually switch to TSW.

I really don't know how far we can push a dead game. V7 did, and XI will see play for a long time. I think it's a good moment to promote it everywhere you can... but that's not up to me anymore. I think a lot of people are helping, like the fact that I no longer need to take care of the documentation (hell, that's a HUGE win for me), or the people that contribute gameservers.

Then again... 240 most users online record on march, to 350 ... is ... ... too fucking big. That's the double amount, beacause there is always a stable amount of ~120 people online. 140 users online the first day of ladder and ... 140 people online one week after, when (d2m) history tells us that number should have dropped to 70 or less. Some people don't realise what these numbers mean, we are living the best times of MXL of the last ~4 years.

MarcoNecroX
Malthael

Führer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by zerger on Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:09 am

I tried to promote your Ultimative version many times on french forums, but Mxl doesn't seem to be really attractive to french players. They prefer D3,  and Easter Sun mod before Sad

On my side, I have so many games started (Recettear Dancing) I hardly have the time to Play MxlU...And even when the game is started, well I played MXL so much I now feel bored quickly Sad

zerger
Spike Beast

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by xjry123 on Fri Aug 30, 2013 7:51 am

@MarcoNecroX wrote:I'm always doing what I can to keep MXL, the forums and TSW on equal quality.

And to be honest... it pays off. I think the quality changes are notable on version XI, I mean the way it was modded is way more mature to what I've done in the first ultimative versions (things that sadly still exist...). And when things go well, the rest goes alone by itself... cycles made a huge impact in the game and it's something that didn't take me more than a few minutes to make (and thing that sadly I didn't have more time to expand even more).

Now that for the game, for the forums I've done a lot of things I thought of, different layouts, cookies, badges, country flags, unique domain, hardly any bots or pop-ups. I offered to drastically change the layout (because this forum still looks like Windows 98) but people seemed to like the current one so... I've also pushed all the bots like google, yahoo, bing so that they track the forum and link almost every thread in google... in fact when I write Median XL in google, i get suggested "Median XL v7" (lol) and ultimative ofc. But then again the #1'st option is Laz site, just after it this forum.

Finally, for TSW, there isn't a LOT I can do, as basically I can't choose whether someone will donate a GS. I made the MP version totally private and injected a bug in SP version so that noone can host a realm with SP version without crashing. I see a lot of complaints of people from other servers begging for MXLU; but it just won't happen, and these people eventually switch to TSW.

I really don't know how far we can push a dead game. V7 did, and XI will see play for a long time. I think it's a good moment to promote it everywhere you can... but that's not up to me anymore. I think a lot of people are helping, like the fact that I no longer need to take care of the documentation (hell, that's a HUGE win for me), or the people that contribute gameservers.

Then again... 240 most users online record on march, to 350 ... is ... ... too fucking big. That's the double amount, beacause there is always a stable amount of ~120 people online. 140 users online the first day of ladder and ... 140 people online one week after, when (d2m) history tells us that number should have dropped to 70 or less. Some people don't realise what these numbers mean, we are living the best times of MXL of the last ~4 years.
Hitting a Wall Asian players, mostly Chinese, come because that 2 servers added. That helps a lot.
As is to me, you and laz really made a good series of game that attract a lot of players, really thank you for that.Cheers! 

xjry123
Hivehost

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guybrush on Sat Aug 31, 2013 9:53 am

MedianXL is the most known Diablo II mod as i can see (Also other people worked very hard too like on Aftermath mod and others). You cant make mods to be known as original Diablo or a game
If someone is interested in mods, he/she will search for some, and ofcourse find this mod too

Guybrush
Bloodfire Rogue

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum