A discussion of Path of Exile's shortcomings.

Page 13 of 15 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14, 15  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: A discussion of Path of Exile's shortcomings.

Post by iwansquall on Mon Nov 04, 2013 1:36 am

Stopped my marauder because I cant stand dying too much in merciless.

I really praying for better gear, but if I needed to farm ledge hundred just to get it, might as well as creating new build for fresh air.

I start a build without planning much, my head just said "melee caster + shotgun skill".
At start I thinking of shadow, and planned to creep toward "buckshot" skill near ranger skill (at btm) that give more dps at shorter range.
But then I start thinking that, would I need all those dex that doesnt improve my dps / killing speed just to get there.

Search around internet, I found something which EXACTLY SAME skill allocation like the 15 point I spent.
Cold Shotgun Shadow

Forgot the skill name, but I use it with LMP + Faster projectile for decent DPS.
The build kinda fragile at start (I died at brutus lol) but right now it really speeding up.
Just killed Vaal (died once because of desync).

I wonder how well I gonna play without ever going resist nodes at all (like my marauder did).
iwansquall
Blood Golem

Underpowered Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by soundee on Mon Nov 04, 2013 2:26 am

@Roflknife wrote:
@Violentin wrote:But staying in it is also a death sentence.
As i complained earlier, 0 counterplay Very Happy
i beg to differ. there are multiple solutions to the proximity shield nemesis mod

1. bear trap and stay out of boss' attack range if it is melee. traps/mines/totems don't require the player to be inside the proximity shield to deal damage.
2. proliferating freeze on a mob outside of the shield allows u to safely enter and take care of the mob
3. decoy totem to draw aggro while u move in for the kill
4. add temporal chains to any of these solutions and each work better. blinding the rare can work too.
5. immortal call + increased duration / multiple endurance charges combo handles physical type rare mobs
6. summon skeleton + spell totem if the rare doesn't have massive aoe clear
soundee
Son of Lucion

TGGood 10

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Roflknife on Mon Nov 04, 2013 4:29 am

thats not counterplay, that forcing everyone to check wikipedia for a very specific and narrow set of counters

I've always hated using bear traps in old PoE to deal with reflect. It dosen't add depth if everyone deals with something in the exact same way
Roflknife
Mangler

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by iwansquall on Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:59 am

My input on counterplay

1. I dunno how to proper trap the boss if there are bunch of them (boss mobs) moving around. Either you can dps them down or not, it all down to you gear (aka how rich you are) or worst, your build suck and required reset.
2. Again, not all character have access to freeze.
3. This one perhaps only best option I can use on my marauder, but I think the it also down to either you can dps the mobs down or not (so the totem last longer)
4. I have temporal chain and it seem doesnt help much. Unless there is curse to reduce enemy's dmg, it still hurt as hell (melee / spell)
5. Immortal call is niche gem, again it all depend on your skill setup. Not viable for all build
6. Skeleton / zombie could be best way for INT user to have some meat shield.

My problem currently:
1. Delay between two action is way too low (remember this is online game with lag / latency variable)
2. Rain is terrible mechanic unless you can make boss "rotate around" slower, this "hugging boss" concept is well used in game like Dark Souls.

As for reflect, it is terrible concept because it all come down toward dmg / health ratio.
Consider glass cannon might have low hp (I know they couldve insane energy shield).
Enemy reflect should changed to "when damage taken" on specific threshold.
This will make sure that player are not punished when they trigger critical strike or having much higher dmg.

*I can accept for people need to use some crowd control or meat shield just in MedianXL. My problem is, that those must be available for their specific stat setup (pure str for example)

**Dominus is well known that his dmg is too damn high, I think if dmg toned down, the encounter could be more tactical like piety (although I heard many can 1shot her)
iwansquall
Blood Golem

Underpowered Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Splift on Mon Nov 04, 2013 6:45 pm

I don't really see reflect as being a bad mechanic. Its just another aspect of the game that is trying to kill you and you have to adapt to it.

If you want to faceroll reflect without using your brain the game gives you options for that in the form of:

-increasing your leech in various ways like getting more life leech/on hit, more hp or vaal pact
-increasing defensive stats like resists, armor, evade, dodge, block, life, ES, max resists or endurance charges
-decreasing your crit/damage (usually done in tandem with the above for best results)

However if you don't mind actually keeping part of your bran alive while grinding then the game gives options for that playstyle as well in the form of:

-Chugging a defensive flask like granite, jade or the elemental ones before you aoe a swarm of reflect
-using a different skill for the reflect mobs
-and the most outrageous method would be to simply not attack the mobs that kill you when you attack them
Splift
Blood Stone

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Violentin on Tue Nov 05, 2013 5:18 am

@Splift wrote:I don't really see reflect as being a bad mechanic. Its just another aspect of the game that is trying to kill you and you have to adapt to it.
And by "adapt" you meant taking as much health/ES nodes as possible.
@Splift wrote:
If you want to faceroll reflect without using your brain the game gives you options for that in the form of:
Since when stacking HP requires brain?
@Splift wrote:
-increasing your leech in various ways like getting more life leech/on hit, more hp or vaal pact
Just brilliant, replace active restoration with passive one. Because mashing one button and healing at the same time requires a lot of thought, yeah.
@Splift wrote:
-increasing defensive stats like resists, armor, evade, dodge, block, life, ES, max resists or endurance charges
Actually, only endurance charges sounds like actual "tactics".
Resists is pretty hard to control thanks to GGG adding yet another shitty modifiers to the pool.
Armor is irrelevant with high damages, Evade/Dodge/block are percent modifiers which means they are unreliable to use consistently.
Stacking life/ES actually is a game slogan. EVERY problem in the game can be solved by getting MOAR life, so you don't have to repeat it.
@Splift wrote:
-decreasing your crit/damage (usually done in tandem with the above for best results)
Yeah, because killing slower sounds like a TOTAL FUN in ACTION RPG.
And I want to see you counteracting Regen+Reflect rare mob by lowering damage.
@Splift wrote:
-Chugging a defensive flask like granite, jade or the elemental ones before you aoe a swarm of reflect
So in essence it comes down to gear check.
@Splift wrote:-using a different skill for the reflect mobs
It certainly isn't metagaming. Not at all. Might as well advice to get unique item from higher level character .
@Splift wrote:-and the most outrageous method would be to simply not attack the mobs that kill you when you attack them
And if that monster is a rare Fast+Reflect sceletal Rhoa from Den of Evil?

Violentin
Jungle Hunter

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by zerger on Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:45 am

Reinstalled the game on Steam last night, Dominus fight in pub was a terrible lag fest, ofc the guy with the best latency ninja-looted everything. Started Cruel in solo, from on place to another, I either take no damage neither get one-shotted. Found a whirling blades gem, wanted to use it -> all the game was fuck up , monsters seem to never be at the right place and teleport-killed me... Rage-delete/uninstall for the last time for sure !!!!

How can people enjoy a so much unplayable game ?????? Loot is boring, fights are boring, skill tree are just passive boring stats nodes, latency is boring

Even Realm of the Mad God is more fun and addictive
zerger
Spike Beast

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by iwansquall on Tue Nov 05, 2013 11:52 am

Here some example how to change the reflect mechanic.

Make the mobs / boss to cast specific spell at certain life threshold.
When it reached, a shield pop up. Skill on cooldown.
Whenever monster take dmg when shield on, they will regen % of value while other dmg negated.

Sound familiar?
It is just Abaddon ultimate skill from dota, and it add more tactical than current setup.
Skill cooldown to prevent shield re-appear in short time, but then the cooldown is low enough that require player to have decent DPS to take mobs before that happen.

*In fact I dun even know either PoE have enemy-life threshold thingy (other than boss changing form or piety running away) or not.
iwansquall
Blood Golem

Underpowered Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by iwansquall on Tue Nov 05, 2013 1:00 pm

Kinda play again my marauder, just farming viciously at ledge and fellshrine.
Got my full red 6 slot armor, first fusing = 5L!
Since I kinda of very poor, I not dare enough to spend tons of fusing for 6L.

Im also still planned what I want to do with this marauder.
Most of marauder build plan on internet are far different from my current setup.
At least I see the reasoning why people tend to go %life rather than %dmg, mainly because with 5L + skill gem lvl + good weapon, you dish enough dmg, but without %life you cant get decent survivability from gear alone.
iwansquall
Blood Golem

Underpowered Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Brother Laz on Tue Nov 05, 2013 4:32 pm

@iwansquall wrote:

Laz, is that you?
Shocked Huh?
Brother Laz
Care Bear

Flying Polar Buffalo Error

View user profile http://modsbylaz.vn.cz/

Back to top Go down

Page 13 of 15 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14, 15  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum: