A discussion of Path of Exile's shortcomings.

Page 3 of 15 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9 ... 15  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: A discussion of Path of Exile's shortcomings.

Post by taem on Thu Sep 12, 2013 5:05 pm

If we are comparing poe to classic lod, then yes, clearly poe wins because d2 is so played out.... it just sucks now! However, if you are comparing poe to mxl, then you're outclassed imo, because mxl is stock rich full of features you are neglecting to mention in these rng discussions! Hell, mxl is a crafters dream!

Also, in comment to leveling uo, it's true that in mxl, you start out with an innate skill and quickly reach the gate swinging - metaphorically speaking - gaining power at a much more rapid pace, and the monsters keep up with you. I found poe boring, as the skill tree was very unexciting and skill gems were mostly random at low level, so it wasn't like you could plan out your build ahead of time till you got the skill gem you needed. Made it so I had zero incentive to level up, sorry to say.
taem
Dark Nephalem

View user profile https://sites.google.com/site/monkeymeatsauce/

Back to top Go down

Post by Archangel on Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:53 pm

D2 LOD: random slot machine with some depth thanks to sockets, charms. Stupid pvp. Nolife running for ZODs or sets....

POE: random slot machine with more depth thanks to skill tree with many many branches and sockets. Stupid pvp. Game has been designed with desync since day 0. Nolife running for goddamn currency and damn, skills are gems that drop in game, that's just adding RNG to active skills!

MXLU: random slot machine with even more depth thanks to crafting. Stupid pvp. Too much lag and server crashes.

Play none of the above.

Hypothetical MXLU standalone game: steal players from D3 and POE, a threat! Mr Green

Archangel
Thunder Beetle

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Moasseman on Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:08 pm

@Archangel wrote:POE: random slot machine with more depth thanks to skill tree with many many branches and sockets. Stupid pvp. Game has been designed with desync since day 0. Nolife running for goddamn currency and damn, skills are gems that drop in game, that's just adding RNG to active skills!
I suggest you at least play the game before bashing it.

Moasseman
Glowing Blob

TGBest Transferred

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Roflknife on Fri Sep 13, 2013 3:53 am

@Moasseman wrote:
@Archangel wrote:POE: random slot machine with more depth thanks to skill tree with many many branches and sockets. Stupid pvp. Game has been designed with desync since day 0. Nolife running for goddamn currency and damn, skills are gems that drop in game, that's just adding RNG to active skills!
I think he means theres also RNG involved in finding gems. I personally don't have too a problem with that since most gems are fairly cheap.

However the trading involved to obtained to get the gems is pretty damn annoying. Spamming trade chat for half an hour for a LMP gem and then getting people asking for 2 gcps  for a 0quality one is at the very least frustrating.

Sometime else that makes POE revolve around trading for an optimal game experience.
Roflknife
Mangler

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Moasseman on Fri Sep 13, 2013 3:15 pm

@Roflknife wrote:
@Moasseman wrote:
I think he means theres also RNG involved in finding gems. I personally don't have too a problem with that since most gems are fairly cheap.
However the trading involved to obtained to get the gems is pretty damn annoying. Spamming trade chat for half an hour for a LMP gem and then getting people asking for 2 gcps  for a 0quality one is at the very least frustrating.
Sometime else that makes POE revolve around trading for an optimal game experience.
Yes, there's RNG finding gems, but pretty much every single "core" gem is available as quest reward.

E: Now that I think of it, aren't the only "drop only" gems GMP, Chain and Multistrike? (Dunno about the newest one, Empower, but I'd guess it's a drop only as well)

Moasseman
Glowing Blob

TGBest Transferred

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by taem on Fri Sep 13, 2013 4:42 pm

Interesting, guess a lot has changed since I last played the beta.
taem
Dark Nephalem

View user profile https://sites.google.com/site/monkeymeatsauce/

Back to top Go down

Post by archon256 on Mon Sep 23, 2013 3:43 am

I have a lot of problems with PoE, but I still play it and LoL daily. I wish it would be better, but there really isn't any other option. D3 bores me, and I've played far too much MXL already(haven't played it in years). Until Sigma comes out, I don't really have a good alternative for a ARPG-type single player game where I can slowly build up a character to greatness.

I'll chime in on some of your criticisms and how I deal with the problems I find. Not very satisfying solutions, but they work for me.

Random chance completely dominates the ENTIRE game (devaluing player skill and decisions).
Agreed

Massive difficulty spikes (which have 0 counterplay so still dont require skill to beat) appear without warning (no visual/audio cues) without reward (Perpetus throws invisible hax traps that snare for 2 seconds, then drops a driftwood club).
Yes

Gameplay isn't fluid and is slow and boring.
This isn't objective. I find it okay, though it does get tedious sometimes.

Most skills are uninspired (fireball, nova, cleave etc) or are poorly designed and mechanically unviable (incinerate, searing bond etc).
Sure, but I like what they've done with support gems. Nothing quite like it.

Some gameplay elements are antifun for the sake of nostalgia (MF) or no reason at all (reflect).
Well I don't like either of those elements either, but they do have some logic behind them.
MF is there as a stat for people who like to minmax around finding items, while others who just want to progress through the game and don't care about farming (like me) can ignore it altogether.
Reflect was added to force people to itemize against just stacking damage and finding ways to deal with reflect such as incorporating life steal into their abilities. They certainly should have found better implementations of it though.

Game longevity is extended artificially through slow pacing from astronomically low drop rates/exp gain (and you thought that was limited to cheap asian MMOs!).
Yes, but a large segment of the playerbase seemingly likes it that way.

Hoarding and progress starvation are massive problems (hoarding orbs until level 65+, and you thought Diablo 2 was boring for making you wait until lvl 30 so you could put points into synergistic skills!).
Yes, but I get around that because of how I play. More on that below.

Trading is mandatory to be viable, yet GGG refuses to implement an AH, regarding AH overuse as a cause instead of a symptom of poor game design.
Again, not quite.

You see, I play the game in a very self-restrictive manner. I've consciously decided that I don't want to play the end game. It's too much of a grind to bother with, and after a certain point (usually early merc) your builds never change further. All that changes is the type of items that drop, and the only reason you need said items is if you want to play the end game.
So I just pick a build, play it to level 67 or so playing 2-3 hours a day, and then ditch it for another character. There are plenty of builds that can get that far and they keep adding new ones. With such conservative goals even stuff like Searing Bond works. And since I'm not bothering to save up for the end game I can spend all the currency I find on things I need for leveling, such as Fusings, Chromatics, and skill gems. And those are all very easy to trade for. I don't need to trade for gear, since I can easily alch something that works, and socket/fuse/chrome it to what I want.

So yeah, it might sound ridiculous, but it works for me. And I haven't been bored yet, though waiting for new skill gems gets tiring. Luckily I have other ways to spend my time in the interim.

P.S. With all its problems (oh how those of us in #medianxl have bugged Laz over the years), I would still say MXL is the superior game. The problem is there simply hasn't been enough content out to interest me to play it again, so I'm forced to go with less attractive options that have the advantage of constant updates. Comparing any game in the genre to MXL just leads to heartache, so I try my best not to.
archon256
Amazon Warrior

I Am Someone

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by IzunaDroppa on Thu Oct 03, 2013 4:48 am

This is the part where I point out that PoE technically hasn't even been released yet. Apparently Greek is more of a dead language than I thought when people don't know what a "Beta" is.

IzunaDroppa
Hungry Dead

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Roflknife on Thu Oct 03, 2013 5:43 am

@IzunaDroppa wrote:This is the part where I point out that PoE technically hasn't even been released yet.  Apparently Greek is more of a dead language than I thought when people don't know what a "Beta" is.
Gotta love the irony when fanboys tell people giving feedback to stop because of the "its a beta" excuse

its almost like betas aren't a soft release designed to recieve feedback!
Roflknife
Mangler

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by zerger on Thu Oct 03, 2013 6:21 am

a 3 years beta ....

Rolling Eyes 
zerger
Spike Beast

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 15 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9 ... 15  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum