A discussion of Path of Exile's shortcomings.

Page 4 of 15 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9 ... 15  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: A discussion of Path of Exile's shortcomings.

Post by Brother Laz on Thu Oct 03, 2013 11:15 am

I can see PoE being "the Diablo 1" (flawed but just successful enough to put the devs in a good position for an awesome sequel).
Brother Laz
Care Bear

Flying Polar Buffalo Error

View user profile http://modsbylaz.vn.cz/

Back to top Go down

Post by Will on Thu Oct 03, 2013 2:10 pm

@Brother Laz wrote:I think ARPGs as a whole have issues these days. D3 actually tried to solve the uninteresting gameplay of typical ARPGs and succeeded... but it's still a repetitive grinder, now with boring items too.

Challenges!
Challenges!
Challenges!
Challenges!
People replayed old 2D shooters for ages. Why do ARPGs still struggle with the repetition issue? Ha. Ha.
QFT, I played a Loooooooong time there, ever since I heard you were making items in CB. In fact, if anyone wants legacy items I'd give them my whole account's worth-Haven't played in a month or so. Send me a PM Smile

Also a problem was in-game real money (Yes RMT) transactions imho because they allowed SO many stash tabs but they were only available through purchase. The top players had Many many such tabs for recipes (y'know the one with same name...)... I didn't really mind the game itself until they split the playerbase with ladders. I made some friends irl in that game (only 2 but still!) who live abt 10 min away that I didn't even know about, yet we barely see each other now that I've split from ladder

Will
Talic

Mr. Generosity/Former Forumer & Freak :)
TGBest Transferred

View user profile http://medianxl.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Roflknife on Fri Oct 04, 2013 1:34 am

D3 now has interesting items and is removing its auction house. Ignoring the fact that theres still little build diversity/choice (which POE suffers from too because MF sporker or gtfo and the fact most choice is an illusion) D3 removed 2 of its biggest 'flaws'

I dont see much point in POE. Guess we'll see if 1.0.0 will save it in the next 24 hours.
Roflknife
Mangler

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Archangel on Fri Oct 04, 2013 8:24 pm

GGG's forum will still be plagued by zillions of QQ, haters, desync and "damn, 1200 orbs, still no 6L" threads. So not going back.

Archangel
Thunder Beetle

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by maskedmartyr on Sun Oct 06, 2013 9:20 pm

Back in D2LOD ladder I'd hold onto midgame uniques and trade people for their midgame uniques too. Seemed reasonable enough. So far on a character with ZERO magicfind I've managed to have 10 uniques drop for my FB marauder without any farming. I haven't put much time into him either so I can understand that luck with the game itself should be constrained further on both ends of the spectrum. I've also had very very unlucky character runs like my first onslaught run who even with full magicfind still has only managed to attain 3 uniques without trading.

I've got about 20 stash tabs now and I think thats far more than enough to use the game's mechanics and community to its full potential. You really do not need more than 20 stash tabs, I would go as far as to say 8 is perfectly reasonable.

Going to play devil's advocate here though on the discussion of ladder splits, new ladders are pretty much a requirement to keep games like this successful. Since lvl100 has and probably will be the highest level attainable you can't do things like WoW did with upper tiering in every arena season, which itself is very similar to the concept of annual ladders. I would tell your friends to give the new ladder a shot instead of hopping into the base game, it may actually serve to improve the quality of time you put into the game, since people simply do not have the currency to justify overpricing purchases early in a league.

On the subject of trading as well, I do think its a little ridiculous that trading supplements overpowered build's successes to reaching the top of ladders. But to enjoy the game itself is simple. I'm not a major trader. The only thing I trade for and sell is uniques. I don't currency flip, and when I do sell uniques I try and pick up an offer of what I actually need instead of what the other player can offer (or somewhere in between). It makes the trading itself actually entertaining and not entirely a pushover or extremely difficult. I do agree that RMT is a large issue right now but in GGG's favor they have taken a very smart stance against removing it from the player base using actual evidence instead of throwing the book at everyone. It also makes cryptomethods pretty much a waste of time as well, which can be good or bad depending on how you see it effecting a league's economy down the road.

I think the desire to minmax gear for the sake of survivability in HC and in course raising prices of maxed gear exponentially due to RMT is a symptom more of the playerbase's approach to HC than how destructive RMT is. You don't need maxed gear to even get to lvl 100. It makes your life easier, but many players have already found cheap and effective builds for endgame.
maskedmartyr
Gloom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Thall on Mon Oct 14, 2013 4:01 am

I enjoyed PoE for the little time I spent in it. I enjoy watching people play it more than I actually like to play it myself. I do find MXLU to be vastly superior in every way however. There are just a few things that bug me about the whole universe of PoE, from the name of the world to just the names of the characters.

I also have big issues with how the characters actually look. In MXLU I can feel like a complete bad ass because my character actually looks freakin' cool. The PoE characters look really weak, they don't look very strong at all and that for me is one of the most important things in any game... How the character looks and makes me feel when I'm playing as them. I apply it to almost any game that I play. For instance, when I was hugely into Call of Duty, I couldn't play the games made by Treyarch because the guns just looked odd and felt really weak like they were BB guns.

/rant
Thall
Bloody Butcher

We March For Macragge!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by zerger on Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:33 am

I have been back to Poe those last days. Nothing has really changed, the game is still borrrrrrrinnnnggggg.
The game really miss interesting and dynamic skills, there is still a latency while hitting monsters which gives you the feeling you are playing on current D2 battlenet

They add a new option "permanent loot" so that your loot cannot be stolen by other players, but if you choose this option, people will rage at you because they cannot steal your loot Hitting a Wall 

There is still not trade service, spamming chat and forum is the only way to trade

Ah, the only good change is you can now display monsters lifebar...

Even if you hate D3, it is impossible to not conclude PoE is quite inferior
zerger
Spike Beast

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Roflknife on Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:51 am

@zerger wrote:I have been back to Poe those last days. Nothing has really changed, the game is still borrrrrrrinnnnggggg.
The game really miss interesting and dynamic skills, there is still a latency while hitting monsters which gives you the feeling you are playing on current D2 battlenet

They add a new option "permanent loot" so that your loot cannot be stolen by other players, but if you choose this option, people will rage at you because they cannot steal your loot Hitting a Wall 

There is still not trade service, spamming chat and forum is the only way to trade

Ah, the only good change is you can now display monsters lifebar...

Even if you hate D3, it is impossible to not conclude PoE is quite inferior
IMO the skill gem idea is something that looks good on paper but dosen't work out.
There are 2 MAJOR problems i see with it

-Inability to design creative spells
By tying mechanical effects to support gems, GGG has really limited the things they can do to make skills different from each other in POE. Remember in MXL how flamefront shoots a wave of firebolts and pyroblast sends a ball of fire? Well GGG can't design skills like this because pyroblast+LMP = flamefront. GGG has forced themselves to design boring skills because anything 'interesting' can usually be made with a base gem + a combo of support gems. They have trouble making interesting skills that don't invalidate pre-existing gem combinations by simply being a better version

-Little Build (skill combination) diversity
The stat reqs of the gems in POE are negligible. Hence effectively every gem is available to every character. Despite what you might think, this actually reduces the number of viable skill combonations. SOMETIMES LESS IS MORE.
Unless there are meaningful barriers discouraging players from being able access the entire skill pool and cherry picking the best skills for their character, there will always be little build diversity.

This problem happened in MXL too with the sorceress. Even with the 2 element restriction BroLaz STILL had trouble making players not instantly maxing illumination for every elemental witch build. This problem is FAR FAR FAR worse in POE, which is why everyone is running around with a Spork or Cleaver.

Last edited by Roflknife on Mon Oct 14, 2013 12:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
Roflknife
Mangler

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by zerger on Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:45 am

So true.

For exemple, there is only ONE skill for dual-wielding !
I wanted to play a dual-wield leeching duelist and I have the feeling I am just using a basic attack 90% of the time + a trap I place time to time to initiate mob packs... even a flash game H&S would do better

poe < Diablo 2
poe < Diablo 3
poe < Torchlight II
poe < Titan Quest
poe < Shining Soul II (whic is a GBA game ! )

but

poe > Sacred Mr Green
zerger
Spike Beast

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Moasseman on Mon Oct 14, 2013 11:05 am

1 skill for dual wielding?

Dual strike, Reave, Cleave pop instantly to me head at least.

Moasseman
Glowing Blob

TGBest Transferred

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 15 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9 ... 15  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum