FTL: Faster Than Light

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

FTL: Faster Than Light

Post by RAD-82 on Sun Sep 08, 2013 3:38 am

http://www.ftlgame.com/

The following is some stuff from the FAQ page of the website for those that don't know about the game.

What is FTL?

FTL is a spaceship simulation roguelike-like. Its aim is to recreate the atmosphere of running a spaceship exploring the galaxy (like Firefly/Star Trek/BSG etc.) In any given episode of those classic shows, the captain is always yelling “Reroute power to shields!” or giving commands to the engineer now that their Warp Core is on fire.  We wanted that experience, as opposed to the “dog fighting in space” that most videogames focus on.  We wanted a game where we had to manage the crew, fix the engines, reroute power to shields, target the enemy life support, and then figure out how to repel the boarders that just transported over!

What is the gameplay like?

The game is split into two major parts: exploration and combat. You explore by travelling instantly with your FTL drive between discrete “Jump Beacons;” every location contains a text-based event that has a variety of choices and outcomes.  Your ship can be upgraded with advanced weaponry and equipment purchased with collected scrap metal, while your crew will improve with experience. Fighting enemy ships involves real-time management of crew, power distribution and weapons. It can be frantic with many problems thrown at you at once, but you can pause the game at any time to give orders to your crew (much like Baldur’s Gate).

Expansion Announcement: http://www.ftlgame.com/?p=598
New Alien Race, The Lanius, in Advanced Edition: http://www.ftlgame.com/?p=621
New Systems and Subsystems, and Miscellaneous Additions: http://www.ftlgame.com/?p=647
Expansion Release Date, April 3rd: http://www.ftlgame.com/?p=688

The rest of this post is intended for players who like to use mods.

First off, I don't have this game.  (Edit: I have it now.)  This hasn't prevented me from enjoying Let's Plays on YouTube.  I usually like to see new ships that people have created through modding.  One of these players, 5thHorseman, is also an FTL modder, so I pitched him an idea for a ship.  Idea He liked the idea, made the ship, then balanced it, as he saw fit, and it is now available for the public to use.

Links - Modded ships by RAD-82; fun not guaranteed.  Razz 
Edit: Links to individual mods removed, replaced with a link to my personal mod list
[MOD LIST] RAD-82's Junkyard

Slipstream Mod Manager
Advanced Editon Master Mod List
Old and possibly useless Master Mod List

Last edited by RAD-82 on Wed Dec 03, 2014 6:06 am; edited 15 times in total (Reason for editing : added info from FTL site)

RAD-82
Bone Sorcerer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: FTL: Faster Than Light

Post by RAD-82 on Sat Sep 14, 2013 2:37 am

The Enforcer - Part 1 <-- YouTube link

5thHorseman has posted a 5-part run with this Zoltan ship.  Each video is under 25 minutes.  Sounds like there is a possibility for future changes to the ship.

Last edited by RAD-82 on Tue Sep 17, 2013 6:12 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Finished posting run)

RAD-82
Bone Sorcerer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by taem on Sat Sep 14, 2013 5:09 am

You're the second or third person to post about FTL on these forums. Considering your pedigree with mxl, I may just have to go check it out. I wonder if some of the newer members know who you are, lol.

taem
Dark Nephalem

View user profile https://sites.google.com/site/monkeymeatsauce/

Back to top Go down

Post by Quirinus on Sat Sep 14, 2013 10:36 am

yea, FTL is fun, but I got kinda bored after a while.

Quirinus
Creature of Flame

Bloody High Five
TGGood none

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Helix on Sun Sep 15, 2013 9:08 am

FTL is an awesome game if you're into the genre, and its incredible soundtrack alone makes me want to play it sometimes.

It's currently on sale in the Humble Indie Bundle 9; I highly recommend it.

Helix
Doom Hunter

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by RAD-82 on Tue Sep 17, 2013 6:19 pm

I really would like to get this game, but I lack the hardware.  My PC gaming prospects are extremely low, with little to no chance of improving anytime soon.  Sad

RAD-82
Bone Sorcerer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by zerger on Tue Sep 17, 2013 6:49 pm

Good game but it suffers from the Indie syndrom: It could have been much better !!

zerger
Spike Beast

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Helix on Tue Sep 17, 2013 7:00 pm

How so?

Unlike with many other games (almost all nowadays really), at no point while playing did I notice an excessingly annoying flaw or tell myself "why didn't they do that this way instead?", or it was such a trifle that I don't remember now.

Helix
Doom Hunter

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Moasseman on Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:17 pm

@RAD-82 wrote:I really would like to get this game, but I lack the hardware.  My PC gaming prospects are extremely low, with little to no chance of improving anytime soon.  Sad
FTL doesn't really require anything from your machine, now does it Surprised? On a side note, if you want FTL, send me your e-mail via private message. Gonna get the bundle but already have FTL.

Moasseman
Glowing Blob

TGBest Transferred

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by zerger on Tue Sep 17, 2013 9:34 pm

@Helix wrote:How so?

Unlike with many other games (almost all nowadays really), at no point while playing did I notice an excessingly annoying flaw or tell myself "why didn't they do that this way instead?", or it was such a trifle that I don't remember now.
No No, I didn't mean the game has some flaws, but rather it could have got more content
Maybe I am too bad with this game but I have the feeling there are not a lot of different tactics (for expample, in Binding of Isaac, every game is really different)

zerger
Spike Beast

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum