The Many Faces of Defense

View previous topic View next topic Go down

The Many Faces of Defense

Post by grimjerk on Sat Sep 14, 2013 8:50 pm

An introductory note: This guide began its life as a thread of the same name, found here in the General Discussions forum. A number of people included a lot of great stuff. General thanks to--Marco, Greg, Xplosive, Shenron, Aspirine and the Great and Powerful Wow. Specific attributions will be made in the text. If I have forgotten to cite a specific contribution, please PM me and I will correct the oversight. General compliments, suggestions, clarifications, corrections and out right flame-age can be done below. Just don't be so obnoxious the Greg has to put the Hammer down. Now, enjoy.................

THE MANY FACES OF DEFENSE
[sarcasm]A work of genius in two parts[/sarcasm]
by
Uncle Grimjerk

PART 1

Ok kids, gather round and let Uncle Grimjerk regale you with his wit and wisdom. Today we are going to talk about........Defense.

Defense is much more than that number below your Attack Rating. To understand why, we have to consider what Defense--in the general, non character statistic sense--really is all about.

I define defense rather simply. Defense is that which prevents us from dying, or at least reduces the likelihood of us dying. I arrange the methods in two broad categories: Methods that manipulate our resistance/defense rating/etc, and Methods that manipulate the enemies ability to do damage. Let's consider the second group first.

Methods for Gimp-ificating the Bad Guys

The following methods are all about eliminating or reducing a monster's damage, or reducing a monster's chance of hitting you. The best way to think of damage is almost always damage per second. We could consider damage per frame but that is just being silly. Mr Green 

Method the first: DMDND....Dead Monsters Do No Damage, also known as the Stoya Defense. Like the St. Lombardi said, The best defense is a good offense. A dead monster's damage output is exactly 0 dps--setting aside on death effects--and will remain 0 for as long as the monster is dead. So, Kil them all and let god sort them out.Amusing historical side note. This expression dates back to the Catholic Church's suppression of the Albigensian heresy in southern France. When the general who was in charge of the military side of the suppression--that is slaughter of innocent people--asked the Cardinal in charge of matters religious how he should tell the heretics from the non-heretics, the Cardinal responded, "Kill them all, God shall know his own."

Method the second: Stun....A stunned monster is a monster that isn't bugging you. A stunned monster is easily recognized by the fact that they just stand there looking stupid and they get these fetching white swirlies above their heads. A stunned monster's dps has been temporarily reduced to 0--setting aside on struck effects--and in the time that he is stunned we have the chance to promote him to the rank of Dead Monster (and as we recall from above, DMDND). The only limitation to stun is that not all monsters are affected by stun, but many of the ones who are not completely stunnable--that is, they are like players--can still develop the swirlies. This ties into our next method.

Method the third: Hit Recovery....First off a special thanks to Xplosive for pointing out this oversight in my original thread in General Discussion. A monster is placed into Hit Recovery when one of a few things happen. One, the monster has been Knocked Back; two, the monster has received damage equal to 1/12 its total life; three, the monster has been struck while it has Stun swirlies over its head. So it is this last facet that ties into the previous method. So a unit like the Smith, for instantace, cannot be rendered fully stunned but he does have a chance of getting stun swirlies. After that all you have to do is hit them and they will be rendered helpless as long as you keep hitting them and they have swirlies over their heads. This fact alone is a good reason to always slap at least a single Stun Attack MO on your weapon.On a side note: This is also the fact that accounts for the dreaded Stun Lock. If your toon has the swirlies then all the monsters have to do is hit you and you are in Hit Recovery. In other words, avoid the swirlies. A monster's dps=0 as long as it is in hit recovery--again, aside from on struck effects.

Method the fourth: Charm.... I debated whether to put this here or in the bonus section on Meat Shields, but decided to put it here since this is something that directly affects monsters. Charm is the effect of several skills and procs that brings a monster over to your side to fight for a brief period of time. Not only does this render the monster's dps 0--as directed toward you--but also increases your side's dps. Only normal monsters are subject to Charm.

Method the fifth: Slow.... Now that we have gone over the ways to reduce enemy dps to 0 we will look at ways to reduce, but not eliminate damage. We start with slow. I won't go into all of the technical ins and outs of the different types of slow and their interaction. Partly because I am lazy but mostly because Shenron has done such a good job in Slow MECHANICS. Do yourself a favor and give it a read. In general what Slow does for us is to reduce a monster's dps. Lets say we have a monster that does an average of 1000 damage per attack/cast and has 4 attacks per second. Let's draw out how Slow affects the situation.

Slow%__________APS___________DPS
    0______________4_____________4000
  25______________3_____________3000
  50______________2_____________2000
  75______________1_____________1000

Now this example is simple as to make for simple and easily grasped math. The effect of slow is even greater when you have means of applying it to large numbers of monsters at once--the Snake Stance/Thunderslam combo for example.

All of these methods have two things in common. They all are things that affect a monsters ability to do damage and--unlike traditional defense--they affect ALL forms of damage. Except the various proc effects mentioned. This makes them--in a way--superior to Defense as  means of defense. I would rank them in the order they are listed except for Charm is better than Hit Recovery. So........DMDND > Stun > Charm > Hit Recovery > Slow. I do have one more monster affecting method, but it is related more to traditional defense.

Method the sixth: Reducing Enemy AR.... This is an under-appreciated effect, even by those who only concern themselves with the To Hit formula. With a single point in Searing glow and a single point in Brimstone, the holy paladin has a tool that can reduce a small group of monsters' AR by 100%. With a single point in Shower of Rocks plus +skills a Barbarian can reduce a small group of monsters' AR by 50% Let's look at the Barbarian. Say your Barbarian has 500,000 Defense. You would need to do some serious work to double that to 1,000,000 Defense. With Shower of Rocks, though, you will have effectively done that as far as the cursed monsters are concerned. So stated plainly, reducing a monsters Attack Rating by 50% is effectively the same as doubling your Defense Rating--when it comes to that monster. Doubling your Defense--at high levels--is expensive to do but easy to use. Reducing the enemy's Attack Rating is cheap to do but harder to use. Not brain surgery, mind you, but requires more activity on the driver's part. Note. Reducing a monster's AR by 100% will not mean the monster cannot hit you because there is still it's base chance to hit you which is derived from its level compared to yours.

That about does it for Part 1. Thanks for reading, feel free to post. Part two should be on in a day or so, focusing on Self Improvement

Since no guide is complete without a video, I offer you this. A man who needs more cymbals in his drum kit.

Last edited by grimjerk on Sat Sep 14, 2013 8:59 pm; edited 3 times in total
grimjerk
Prince Albrecht

Grumpy Uncle Grimjerk knows best!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The Many Faces of Defense

Post by grimjerk on Sat Sep 14, 2013 8:51 pm

Space Reserved For OP
grimjerk
Prince Albrecht

Grumpy Uncle Grimjerk knows best!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by shenron276 on Sat Sep 14, 2013 9:02 pm

Good job, man... Clap Clap Also, thanks for giving me credits, I truly appreciate that... Can't wait for part 2... Btw, cookied... Very Happy
shenron276
Treasure Hunter

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by The Big Ouchy on Sat Sep 14, 2013 9:24 pm

Don't know if it's necesarily worth including or not but stun attack on weapons applies to all whirlwind clones.
The Big Ouchy
Bear Shaman

More brilliant than Chuck Noris!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by wow123400 on Sat Sep 14, 2013 10:09 pm

"the Great and Powerful Wow"

.....cookie,cookie,don't have any.....in 2 days.......will be.....promise  Salut

edit:Enjoy the sweetness Very Happy 
wow123400
Malthael

High Posting Cookie Monster
TGGood 100

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Swoosh on Fri Dec 13, 2013 4:55 am

Great guide however I believe it is missing 2 very important things.

1. Macroing. More used in D1/D2 and cLOD Macroing is the ability to see a ranged missile or skill attack coming at you from a distance and stepping out of the way with the minimal effort/distance required. This is a great tactic to learn for pvp (hopefully Sigma pvp is more entertaining than MXL and Ultimatives) and crowded areas/boss fights. Dodging ranged attacks while fighting a strong boss reduces the damage you take, although the MXL way quickly became just become OP get procs and kill everything without tactics of any sort being required there are still areas where this can be used. TA/K3BA/Diablo are a few examples.

And 2. Marco/play dead. Marco is the pain in the ass behind the fiendish schemes to create a Uber whom no one can defeat no matter what tactics are used, the best defense verse Marco, play dead. This is where you don't move and hope the mobs stop attacking you before you die. If you do die, at least it will be a lot easier for you to play dead.
Swoosh
Djinn

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum