Theoretical ARPG crafting system braindump

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Theoretical ARPG crafting system braindump

Post by Roflknife on Tue Sep 17, 2013 2:38 am

Maybe Laz will take a look at these ideas? Here's his original intentions:
BroLaz wrote:Items

You don't find items with a complete model and stats as a full package. Instead, for performing well you gain a (mostly) random selection of modifiers (think runes), each giving a certain bonus and having a certain weight (they're not magical affixes; they're techmaturgy at best, technology at worst). You can then configure your own item slots by equipping your choice of modifiers, up to the weight limit for each slot. Higher level modifiers have a better power/weight ratio. Perhaps it should be possible to intentionally downtune numerical modifiers in exchange for a lower weight, so you're not stuck staring at +10 damage for 50 weight while you only have 45 weight remaining and would be perfectly happy with +9 damage, a situation that could lead to forced low level grinding.

Item models are separate from stats, and are also given out randomly. This also enables items to be different between classes, so there is no vendor trash ("cool gun but I don't use guns...").
Here there are 3 major crafting materials. There will probably be more (like a random mutation system for endgame) but these are the basics:

1) Data fragment: Equivalent of mystic orbs in MXL. They have small "spike-player" bonuses which are designed to stack (Think +5% cold resist etc) and take up a FLAT amount of weight in the item you use it on. Sold from vendors and dropped by enemies. Cannot be resused.

2) Mechrune: These take up >10% (A PERCENTAGE!) of an items weight. They drop exclusively from monsters and provide more interesting mods (procs?) that correspond to the monsters which dropped them. I.E a electrified enemy may drop Mechrunes that provide a 15% to proc lightning bolts on attack. I'm not sure these should be able to be unsocketed.

3) Technoglyph: Replaces the Unique and Runeword system in MXL. They take up >60% of item's BASE weight. They provide interesting suites of preset stats that may differ between itemtypes like runewords in MXL. These are fairly rare, and a NPC (data terminal?) will show players what effects different Technoglyphs will spawn on items. They will change an items appearence by overlaying a semi-transparent texture, glow or other visual effect. Technoglyphs come in tiers, and within tiers they have equal rarity (thus can be freely exchanged). I'm not sure these should be able to be unsocketed

For example here is an example of how the crafting system might be used:
In my inventory I have:
- Plasteel Sawblade with the ability to hold 200 weight.
- "Code" Data fragments which give 1% Life leech and take up 4 weight.
- Duraluminium Golem Mechrune: Reserves 20% Weight and adds 10% chance to proc Ferrodermis Skin when hit
- "Xor" Technoglyph. When socketed in weapons it reserves 50% weight and provides the following bonuses:
   "Starfire"
   +(251 to 300)% Enhanced damage
    50% Physical damage converted to fire
    Adds 1-4000 fire damage
    2% Reanimate as: Fusion Wraith

What I might do: Socket Xor Technoglyph, 2 Golem Mechrunes. Thats 90% (50+20+20) weight of 200 gone. I have 20 more weight left so I socket 5 LL Data fragments.

Now I have a weapon:
"Starfire" Plasteel Sawblade
   +(251 to 300)% Enhanced damage
    50% Physical damage converted to fire
    Adds 1-4000 fire damage
    2% Reanimate as: Fusion Wraith
    20% chance to proc a Ferrodermis Skin when hit
    5% Life leech

One more thing: It also gains a visual effect that shows glowing cracks dripping ionised metal Razz

Roflknife
Mangler

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Theoretical ARPG crafting system braindump

Post by Brother Laz on Sat Sep 21, 2013 12:39 am

*takes a look, it's 1:39AM now though*

Brother Laz
Care Bear

Flying Polar Buffalo Error

View user profile http://modsbylaz.vn.cz/

Back to top Go down

Post by Brother Laz on Sat Sep 21, 2013 11:30 pm

Hmm... not a fan of monster specific drops because it leads to skip-farming. The idea of unique stats is good, if not a particularly huge stretch.

I'd move away from items with stats altogether. The effort/reward ratio is not favourable. Item visuals and then an abstracted "socket"/loadout system that doesn't affect the item's looks (and vice versa) would be more attainable, and also enable item skin microtransactions without impacting balance. :p (Thinking like an Anet'er...)

A good kind of "unique stat" would be something like the different soundtracks for the SRIV dubstep gun, which actually affect rate and damage of fire. Huge impact on gameplay, low effort. Something that takes your rocket launcher, makes it fire two rockets, but with a delay before firing. Etc.

I'll update that OP soon. You never know I might need it at some point.

Brother Laz
Care Bear

Back to top Go down

Post by hellgrind on Sun Sep 22, 2013 1:24 am

Laz, try to implement it as a craft system into skyrim Smile

hellgrind
Burning Dead

Not so well known...

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Roflknife on Sun Sep 22, 2013 2:32 am

@Brother Laz wrote:Hmm... not a fan of monster specific drops because it leads to skip-farming. The idea of unique stats is good, if not a particularly huge stretch.

I'd move away from items with stats altogether. The effort/reward ratio is not favourable. Item visuals and then an abstracted "socket"/loadout system that doesn't affect the item's looks (and vice versa) would be more attainable, and also enable item skin microtransactions without impacting balance. :p (Thinking like an Anet'er...)

A good kind of "unique stat" would be something like the different soundtracks for the SRIV dubstep gun, which actually affect rate and damage of fire. Huge impact on gameplay, low effort. Something that takes your rocket launcher, makes it fire two rockets, but with a delay before firing. Etc.

I'll update that OP soon. You never know I might need it at some point.
1) Whats skip farming? Do you mean Maple Story-esque "farm 100 snails for X"? If thats so thats a pretty valid criticism. I intended it to give players an incentive to run more areas of the game instead of simply farming a single endgame area with the 'best' drops.

2) Not sure what you mean here. Are you planning to remove classic ARPG item mods and replace it with a loadout system like Mechwarrior or EVEOnline?

3) That would be interesting...

4) @Hellgrind, I would also like to see Laz put that in Skyrim even if its just as a test run. Not sure if its worth the effort of rewriting the entire item system in Skyrim though.

Roflknife
Mangler

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by hellgrind on Sun Sep 22, 2013 1:15 pm

@Roflknife wrote:4) @Hellgrind, I would also like to see Laz put that in Skyrim even if its just as a test run. Not sure if its worth the effort of rewriting the entire item system in Skyrim though.
Not the entire item system, it can be just new recipes in crafting.

hellgrind
Burning Dead

Not so well known...

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Brother Laz on Thu Oct 03, 2013 11:11 am

@Roflknife wrote:1) Whats skip farming? Do you mean Maple Story-esque "farm 100 snails for X"? If thats so thats a pretty valid criticism. I intended it to give players an incentive to run more areas of the game instead of simply farming a single endgame area with the 'best' drops.
Skip-farming means skipping everything that isn't the monster you're looking for. Area specific drops are necessary because they are the only way to encourage playing more areas, but that does mean area specific drops and not monster specific drops (unless it's a boss, and even then you incentivise running past everything to get at the boss, unless it's only activated when its minions are all dead).

@Roflknife wrote:2) Not sure what you mean here. Are you planning to remove classic ARPG item mods and replace it with a loadout system like Mechwarrior or EVEOnline?
Thing is, item visuals are much harder and more time consuming than item effects (cfr PoE). By disconnecting visuals and effects, this bottleneck is avoided.

@Roflknife wrote:) @Hellgrind, I would also like to see Laz put that in Skyrim even if its just as a test run. Not sure if its worth the effort of rewriting the entire item system in Skyrim though.
Not possible in Skyrim. q_q Sad

Brother Laz
Care Bear

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum