Need some tips on my Paladin build

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Need some tips on my Paladin build

Post by Ninja Chihuahua on Sat Sep 28, 2013 1:54 pm

Ok, got back on median this week and started a holy melee paladin. I know how this "need help pls tell me what to do" thing piss most people off but keep reading, I swear it's different ;P.

What I want is tips on items, specially stats I should be looking for and would help my build. Tips on skills and gear aren't really what I'm looking for but are always welcome. Here's the build I'm making:

Build:
[Stats]

-Full Str: Helps with gear and skill build.

[Skills]

*Main Skills* (those I'm looking to max)

-Hammerstrike: I started with Retaliate but it turned out to be boring so I changed to Hammerstrike. The area of effect is smaller but you don't need to get hit for it to work and the damage you do when you drop the hammer is pretty nice with full str build.

-Merkabah: The first of the 3 auras I have always on, helps cleaning trash and dealing extra damage to strong monsters.

-Lionheart: The second of the 3 auras I have always on, no need to explain on this one.

*Sub Skills* (skills as important as main but probably won't be maxed)

-Colosseum: I'll probably put just enough points to get 5 seconds timer. I just use it on crowd control/debuff and as a cheap teleport so I'd rather save points for other skills after the timer cap.

-Vindicate: Yeah, I find it amusing to use the innate skill as a helping hand while Colosseum is on timer not so much for the damage buff but for the health regen. It's actually doing great.

-Rapture: The third and last of the auras I have always on, I use it mainly for the velocity bonus. I currently have 10 hard points on it which I think is enough to get 100% velocity cap so Lionheart doesn't slow me down too much.

And that's it for now, I'm lvl 6x and since you've seen the build I'm working on, I humbly ask you for advice on item stats. I'm only stacking +str, +%str and life after each kill/striking for now because I don't really know a lot item-wise. I know the str bonus doesn't help my skills, I use it for gear. Please, enlighten me ^^

Ninja Chihuahua
Gloom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Need some tips on my Paladin build

Post by hellgrind on Sat Sep 28, 2013 2:10 pm

Try something like this: Skillplan holymeele (Paladin, 2012 v005)
remaning points into colloseum for 5 sec timer and rest as you want to.
Use hammerstrike on single targets, retaliate on groups.
For the gear section. Try to get every thing with ctc on attack/kill/striking. Aim for the elemental proc since phys/psn will not be enough.
As for the stats, you go well with full str, but if you don't have source of ITD (ignore target's defense) put some point into dex for the attack rating, it will help you a lot.

hellgrind
Burning Dead

Not so well known...

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Ninja Chihuahua on Sat Sep 28, 2013 3:53 pm

Thanks for replying. I've never really gone through the crafting system so I'll look for uniques and runewords with ctc later, thanks again!

Ninja Chihuahua
Gloom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by wow123400 on Sat Sep 28, 2013 4:56 pm

I do not have much time right now,but you need to keep retaliate in one hand as always,when you use harmmerstrike as main skill,whenever you feel you get hit,use retaliate right away,it is way stronger than any melee skill in killing large mobs

wow123400
Malthael

High Posting Cookie Monster
TGGood 100

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by The Big Ouchy on Sun Sep 29, 2013 2:14 am

@wow123400 wrote:I do not have much time right now,but you need to keep retaliate in one hand as always,when you use harmmerstrike as main skill,whenever you feel you get hit,use retaliate right away,it is way stronger than any melee skill in killing large mobs
So your suggestion is to use a retaliate build...

I always loved using the hierodule runeword paladin helm (gul in paladin helm iirc) when using one handed weapons because you attack so much faster. On kill procs are great for this build since you do a large amount of damage over a small area. Ditto on using some dex for attack rating. If you're feeling squirly consider putting one point into brimmstone so you can put resonance on yourself for moar defense. Getting a source of bear stance (crafted paladin shields can spawn with it) will help in the defense department as well.

I would suggest using retaliate only when you're overwhelmed (aka use it defensively) to avoid killing the point of the build.

The Big Ouchy
Bear Shaman

More brilliant than Chuck Noris!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Ninja Chihuahua on Sun Sep 29, 2013 2:33 am

@The Big Ouchy wrote:

I always loved using the hierodule runeword paladin helm (gul in paladin helm iirc) when using one handed weapons because you attack so much faster. On kill procs are great for this build since you do a large amount of damage over a small area. Ditto on using some dex for attack rating. If you're feeling squirly consider putting one point into brimmstone so you can put resonance on yourself for moar defense. Getting a source of bear stance (crafted paladin shields can spawn with it) will help in the defense department as well.

I would suggest using retaliate only when you're overwhelmed (aka use it defensively) to avoid killing the point of the build.
Thanks for the tips, that's what I was looking for. I'm currently using Ilmatar runeword as helm and Azrael Tepoztopilli (paladin spear) as weapon, should I go for one handed + shield? And about the dex points, I really wanted to go full str but I'll see how it turns out later and if needed pump some dex.

Ninja Chihuahua
Gloom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by hellgrind on Sun Sep 29, 2013 2:43 am

If you don't want to invest points into dex, that put Eld runes into your gear.

hellgrind
Burning Dead

Not so well known...

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by wow123400 on Sun Sep 29, 2013 4:48 am

@The Big Ouchy wrote:
@wow123400 wrote:I do not have much time right now,but you need to keep retaliate in one hand as always,when you use harmmerstrike as main skill,whenever you feel you get hit,use retaliate right away,it is way stronger than any melee skill in killing large mobs

After all,retaliate is a larger AOE attack,with paladin's damned melee skills,that's the only one you should count on,but leave one pt is enough,main skill still will be hammerstrike,and get as much on strike and on death proc as possible to help out on killing large packs,but also leave at least one single target killing proc for boss,a stormblast from craft glove or something else

At the owner,if you think your attack rating is low,do not worry,retaliate will take care of that,it will always hit something,make sure you got glazing fury on all the time,that's a god passive spell marco added for ultimative

Edit:With the helm thingy,the playthrough in my guide did use that helm,but it also get a lot out of you,since there are too many helm you can use and they are way better than just a morph and swing speed,with paladin one hand weapon is a very great choice,but do not forget about that tu holy spear,which gives you insane help Wink 

wow123400
Malthael

High Posting Cookie Monster
TGGood 100

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Ninja Chihuahua on Sun Sep 29, 2013 1:11 pm

Ok, I pumped dex a little bit. Had a hard time killing andy so I looked at my char screen and it said 69% chance to hit -_- Now I have 80 base dex, rest is str. About the retaliate, I tried it again as a sub skill for crowd control but it doesn't really suit my playstyle. I prefer using hammerstrike on left mouse and vindicate + colosseum on right mouse, even though I have a smaller area I keep getting health regen from vindi and if shit hits the fan I colosseum and pot if needed. Thanks for the tips and please keep 'em coming ;D

Ninja Chihuahua
Gloom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by iwansquall on Sun Sep 29, 2013 1:17 pm

Attack rating MO should be enough and you doesnt need dex at all (except maybe some shield)

Retaliate doesnt need attack rating either because it is designed that it have much higher chance to hit than what LCS said (something like there are many nova, but can only hit once per couple of frames)

iwansquall
Blood Golem

Underpowered Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum