Ultimative: Worth it?

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Ultimative: Worth it?

Post by LimDul on Wed Oct 09, 2013 8:44 pm

I'm about to come back to the world of Median after a long absence. The last version I played was some variant of XL. I'll be playing exclusively with someone who's familiar with LoD but who has never played Median.

I've been scanning the forums, and it seems like Ultimative changes a lot. I"m skeptically about leaving the BrotherLaz "brand," as he put a ton of effort into the mod as a developer and I trust his taste (apart from breaking the canon wide open, which is whatever).

Do most of you prefer Ultimative, or the latest version of XL? If you back Ultimative, list some of the biggest changes that you feel are positive ones.

LimDul
Invader

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Ultimative: Worth it?

Post by shenron276 on Wed Oct 09, 2013 8:57 pm

Just go for Ultimative, you won't regret it... It adds a whole new dimesnion to the game... As for changes, there is a shitload of them, but for full list, check this link: http://mxl.vn.cz/doc/Offline_HTML_Doc_v2.3pre/log.html

shenron276
Treasure Hunter

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by LimDul on Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:48 pm

@shenron276 wrote:Just go for Ultimative, you won't regret it... It adds a whole new dimesnion to the game... As for changes, there is a shitload of them, but for full list, check this link: http://mxl.vn.cz/doc/Offline_HTML_Doc_v2.3pre/log.html
What dimension of the game would that be?

LimDul
Invader

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by GregMXL on Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:51 pm

@LimDul wrote:I'm about to come back to the world of Median after a long absence. The last version I played was some variant of XL. I'll be playing exclusively with someone who's familiar with LoD but who has never played Median.

I've been scanning the forums, and it seems like Ultimative changes a lot. I"m skeptically about leaving the BrotherLaz "brand," as he put a ton of effort into the mod as a developer and I trust his taste (apart from breaking the canon wide open, which is whatever).

Do most of you prefer Ultimative, or the latest version of XL? If you back Ultimative, list some of the biggest changes that you feel are positive ones.
You can't go wrong with any Median XL but definitely go with Ultimative. It's got a lot more content,Ubers,items,monsters and it's been updated often.

GregMXL
Zorun Tzin

Epic Admin
TGBest Transferred

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by axios on Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:53 pm

Ultimative is awesome.there's just more of everything on top of Laz's epic work and Marco managed to keep it all balanced while adding awesome content( my faves being sewers(and runes) concept,triune,kabraxis,yshari)
therefore I definitely recommend it. Dancing 

axios
Slain Soul

weaK

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by The Big Ouchy on Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:58 pm

Well it's free so I guess it's worth it.

The Big Ouchy
Bear Shaman

More brilliant than Chuck Noris!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by LimDul on Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:01 pm

So basically just more of everything. Sounds good as I like the maximalist premise of Median. Aren't there super low level challenges (again) too? Anything I should watch out for in the early game?

LimDul
Invader

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by wojen616 on Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:02 pm

Just quick lvl challenge when you hit lvl 5.

wojen616
Landmass

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Quirinus on Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:40 pm

@wojen616 wrote:Just quick lvl challenge when you hit lvl 5.
Yea, other than that, you got the documentation link at the top.

Ultimative has moar late game focus and items, ubers, lots of things made simpler/handier to use (allowing recipes to merge some charms, longer  hp bar for bosses, stacking arcane shards and sigs, just to name a few), etc.

The most popular server runs only Ultimative XI, not normal MXL. Pretty much everyone here plays Ultimative.

Ultimative is a bit harder, but has a faster start than MXL.

Quirinus
Creature of Flame

Bloody High Five
TGGood none

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by MarcoNecroX on Thu Oct 10, 2013 12:25 am

Ultimative isn't balanced. Neither was MXL or M2008. The concept of balance is screwed because of the different player variations, game will never be balanced. I have 'understood' what 'median is all about' in all these years, so most things shouldn't be bad for any MXL fan.

Some changes that are a yes/yes for any player are:
- bigger inventory
- several utility recipes (e.g. mass disenchant)
- reduced (and merged) charm sizes
- improved merc flexibility
- you can teleport in town (my favorite feature... I swear)
- fixed anya +res bug by making it a cube reagent
- merged some strings on items to avoid overflow (eg +10% fhr/fcr/etc. = 5 lines, they get merged into 1)
- best realm MXL ever had

The rest you can like or not... I personally regret making SSSU's, but it was the only way to make people switch when the mod wasn't known. Just like I think laz f*cked up by making SSU's. The consequence of both was to drive the community into being a lot more mindless and picking random obvious builds that only require one skill and preferably have the ability to cheese in some way. Trivial builds have also become mainstream - for example "I play X unused build but in my inventory I have every charm in the game that I didn't get with this build, lets make a guide". Tl;dr game has reached a point where any build is viable just by mixing random expensive gear pieces.

MarcoNecroX
Malthael

Führer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum