hi all, been along time, tryin to get back into MXL

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

hi all, been along time, tryin to get back into MXL

Post by Lavos on Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:26 pm

well im trying to get back into MXL after a long time away, but i seem to have run into a problem with D2/LoD that also persists in MXL, other people aroudn the net have gotten this issue but any and all solutions i can find to the issue arent working (for me at least)

oddly it seemed only to start after Windows 7 64-bit Home Premium decided to auto-install updates and restart the night i installed D2 LoD, before that, game and even with PlugY were fine, all graphics and sounds working normally, but since that Windows Update, i can run D2/LoD or MXL fine, but the issue is theres a complete lack of all Sound Effects, the music is there, just no sound effects: NPC chatter in towns, combat, item drops, even clicking various buttons like the Automap Toggle are all dead-silent

i tried contactin Blizz about this as its not a problem caused by MXL or PlugY but they in addition to what few results on google i found are being totally useless

so was wondering if anyone here has encountered this issue as of late and knows a dead-sure way to fix it so i can get back to fully enjoying MXL, i remember most here are typically helpful so figured this would be one of the better places to ask around

Lavos
Cabalist

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: hi all, been along time, tryin to get back into MXL

Post by hellgrind on Wed Oct 30, 2013 2:11 am

The simple solution is also the best:
1. check in options
2. press crtl+m in chat lobby and listen if there are music sounds/any other sounds.

hellgrind
Burning Dead

Not so well known...

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by taem on Wed Oct 30, 2013 2:36 am

What hellgrind said. Sounds like "sound effects" in Options are turned off. Could be a corrupted sound effects file? Might be an issue with W7 and your sound-card, or video-card if you don't use a dedicated sound card; check your sound/video cards website for updates (usually an auto-installer that you download which auto-checks). If those don't work, reinstall d2?

taem
Dark Nephalem

View user profile https://sites.google.com/site/monkeymeatsauce/

Back to top Go down

Post by Quirinus on Wed Oct 30, 2013 8:32 am

ctrl+s maybe?

Quirinus
Creature of Flame

Bloody High Five
TGGood none

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lavos on Wed Oct 30, 2013 12:59 pm

tried all 3 of those, didnt work, and reinstall didnt help at all, i tried off both old retail game discs and the Diablo 3 CE Soulstone USB Drive, ill try the Ctrl-M thing again ust to be sure but im also going to try copying over all the MPQ files from my laptop which is running the same install and patch (1.13c) but the game works fine on there

and just tried the copy-job and didnt help, also Ctrl-M brings up the Random Chatter Log but no sound effects, or text shown

Lavos
Cabalist

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by grimjerk on Wed Oct 30, 2013 1:04 pm

Do what I did. Go buy yourself an old P4 with xp on it. I picked up a 3.0 ghz p4 with a decent 1st gen pcie card (an nvidia I think) 2 gigs of ram etc etc, for like 25 bucks. Play all of your antique games with no worries about os compatability issues.

grimjerk
Prince Albrecht

Grumpy Uncle Grimjerk knows best!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lavos on Wed Oct 30, 2013 1:26 pm

well thats the real odd thing, both this laptop and my desktop run the same OS, Windows 7 64-bit Home Premium, yet some games run fine on my laptop and not my desktop and vice versa

for example a game i  swore id need to setup a Dual Boot with XP for, works fine on my desktop but has some kind of memory error that keeps it from running on this laptop, theres all sorts of weird inconsistencies with software between the 2, but that still doesnt explain why D2 was fine on my desktop before Windows restarted the PC from Windows Update while i was asleep and D2 only exhibits this problem after that

is there any particular files needed in Windows or anything that mightve been screwed with by Windows Update thus effecting D2?

ive had Windows Update screw with stuff before, once it downloaded/installed an update then restarted my PC and when it restarted the update had corrupted a registry file needed by Windows to allow the user to create folders via the right-click context menu, fortunatly google provided a quick fix that time

but i suppose if i cant get this solved, ill just have to play MXL on my laptop

edit: and im not abotu to go buy an older computer to run XP unless i can find a laptop for cheap, dont have room in the house for anotheer desktop pc, i can however try to set up a Dual Boot as the copy of Windows XP off my old now-dead desktop is usable

Lavos
Cabalist

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by GregMXL on Wed Oct 30, 2013 1:34 pm

This might sound dumb but could you perhaps try a system restore back to the date before the updates?

GregMXL
Zorun Tzin

Epic Admin
TGBest Transferred

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lavos on Wed Oct 30, 2013 1:40 pm

i could, assuming theres a restore point, there should be, thanks for reminding me about system restore, ill go try that right now, if it works after then i know its def thanks to windows update

ok there is a restore point for that night from right before Windows Update restarted my PC, gonna try to restore it and see what happens

if it does work im so turning off Automatic Updates as far as auto-installing them

and this will likely delete my 2 MXL characters i had cus they were made post-problem, btu only lv 12 each so not a big deal

Lavos
Cabalist

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by GregMXL on Wed Oct 30, 2013 1:54 pm

@Lavos wrote:i could, assuming theres a restore point, there should be, thanks for reminding me about system restore, ill go try that right now, if it works after then i know its def thanks to windows update

ok there is a restore point for that night from right before Windows Update restarted my PC, gonna try to restore it and see what happens

if it does work im so turning off Automatic Updates as far as auto-installing them

and this will likely delete my 2 MXL characters i had cus they were made post-problem, btu only lv 12 each so not a big deal
Well if you like those two characters, you could save them to an external hard drive (if you have one of course).

GregMXL
Zorun Tzin

Epic Admin
TGBest Transferred

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum