The Brother Laz uberquest

Page 1 of 7 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

The Brother Laz uberquest

Post by zaphodbrx on Sat Nov 09, 2013 1:49 pm

Hey guys.

I'm looking for info regarding the Brother Laz uberquest. I'm playing MXL classic, and this is the only quest I haven't done yet.

I'm using the assassin character. I've been trying to do it in this manner, but it is nowhere as easy as it seems in this video. He also lists his items in that thread. Side note, I'm not really sure how he got purify without using an Assur's bane.

I don't know why he used those items though, or which modifiers to stack. Slows target and slows melee target are the same thing, right? Should I get more reanimates?

I've tried a handful of methods, including shadow refuge, queen of blades, storm crows, etc. Not working so far. Also, in hatred Laz dies to 1 purify+OW so there is nothing to practice there, I'm going directly for destruction Laz who has like 80k hp.

Problems:

Zakarum mechanics. Are very annoying because they don't easily go into that little room on the left side, there's some pathing issues.

Groupies. With max block, 65% avoid and allres, they don't really do much of anything. the problem is that there are so many of them and they just clog up the grounds, and make body recovery impossible. I've been contemplating using a self-MP trick to make body recovery unnecessary ( leave and join same game ), but I haven't done it so far for anything else. Psychic scream makes them flee, which is handy.

Black hand totems. These are the worst. Tremor reduces my hp to 1 and then something or the other kills me. I don't think avoid counters it. Would getting magic resistance ( eg. spirit walker shoes ) be a good idea?

Brother Laz. He teleports, and uses deathstrike and singularity - according to the wiki. Deathstrike is really easy to dodge, and I haven't actually seen him use singularity. Does he also have a melee attack? it looks like it.

My plan is vaguely the following.

-I'm not doing a speedrun, I just want to beat him. Also, no cheese. Maybe I'll use self MP trick for painless body recovery, and a fire shrine but no more than that.
-I want to move around, take his hp down a little, and run away ( shadow refuge+beacon+stacked frw makes this easy ), then go along from the other side ( using the back route in the proving grounds ), and get rid of totems and groupies in that part of the grounds, and so on. The problem with this is the black hand totems, they are too much instakill and can't be dealt with by melee skills. I'm looking into using broadside on switch.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
I have 3 of the sets ( minus vizjun's devices ), all types of Great Runes, and many of the SUs, so keep that in mind as far as items go.

zaphodbrx
Bane Hunter

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The Brother Laz uberquest

Post by zaphodbrx on Sun Nov 10, 2013 5:56 pm

So, hm, anyone?

zaphodbrx
Bane Hunter

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Dmitriy Of on Sun Nov 10, 2013 6:08 pm

Shortly - look at this thread. Although it was written for Ultimative, it's the same as in classic except of you need Assur's Bane(in ultimative you can get Purify from one of new charms).

Dmitriy Of
Curst Guard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by zaphodbrx on Sun Nov 10, 2013 6:44 pm

Thanks, I think that'll help a lot.

How much damage do groupies do by the way? And what types of damage? Documentation says tri elemental, but resistances don't seem to help much.

zaphodbrx
Bane Hunter

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by grimjerk on Sun Nov 10, 2013 8:21 pm

They have stupid high pierce, iirc.

grimjerk
Prince Albrecht

Grumpy Uncle Grimjerk knows best!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by MarcoNecroX on Mon Nov 11, 2013 5:08 pm

Laz isn't too hard. First step: make sure you get the purify -> hit mechanic right, until you can do it natural, as it was any random skill combination. It sounds stupid, but a lot of people have struggle with this, they are like "oh I purify what do I do now PANIC blabla" and run away. Assur is one of the bosses where I always use open wounds, and it's a good practice. Sure, you can kill him with 3(?) purifies, but if you run dunc often you should get used to purify-hit mechanic.

Next step is map control & timing. You want to do this, using the lowest required time & wasting as less map as you can... because hey, purifying him & hitting him, but using 1 minute and flooding the entire map with summons won't work if this is what you wanna do.

Last thing is attitude. Don't try to do the uber safely in two hours. If you don't want to make it in two minutes, that's fine, but try to at least to beat him without having to clear the room. Such things work for quov tsin and other tough bosses, but not here, for many reasons, mainly Laz healing, getting an un-recoverable body spot, etc. I hadn't done Laz for over 2 years when I recorded that video, but I knew if it was possible to kill him under <2 min, I would be able to, and so should you be Wink this game doesn't require much skill.

By the way, gear check > groupies, potions > totems, your mouse > laz.

MarcoNecroX
Malthael

Führer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by zaphodbrx on Tue Nov 12, 2013 5:00 am

Thanks for the post. You are right, I have that panic attack just after purify when he blinks to me and sometimes don't even hit purify just run away. Got to practice more haha.

I will use self mp to get rid of the body recovery issue, this uber is difficult enough as it is.

I usually don't mind taking a couple hours to do an uber. Last time I did a full run of Duncraig to get my third Assur's bane ( cause I like Duncraig, heh ), it took 1.5 hours, but I enjoyed it.. Same thing with Astrogha, Quov Tsin.. But I'll try to change my attitude, if that is not a good idea here..

zaphodbrx
Bane Hunter

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by MarcoNecroX on Tue Nov 12, 2013 11:00 am

it's just not cost efficient Smile the more time you use for the uber, the bigger the chances are that you loose everything. chances of success kind of decrease with time, that's my point.

as for panic, well yeah, you just need to have purify to be natural, not even think about it.
if you see my video, there were sometimes were i randomly threw a purify in any random direction, because that can happen once you do it automatically Razz it's not that my aiming is that bad. In the end, if you re-apply OW, you don't need to purify multiple times (specially in cMXL where laz has no avoid), you just need to reaply OW

MarcoNecroX
Malthael

Führer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by zaphodbrx on Thu Nov 14, 2013 4:44 am

I haven't been getting any time to play Median XL these days.. Will probably give it a crack this weekend.

Btw when you say gear check > groupies, do you mean some specific resistances ( like Quov Tsin? ) or max block/avoid?

zaphodbrx
Bane Hunter

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by MarcoNecroX on Thu Nov 14, 2013 7:26 am

little bit of everything , hp , avoid, block, def, res

MarcoNecroX
Malthael

Führer

View user profile

Back to top Go down