New Plug Y Users -- Do Not Make This Mistake

View previous topic View next topic Go down

New Plug Y Users -- Do Not Make This Mistake

Post by occ on Sun Nov 24, 2013 10:17 pm

Just had a major fail in my saved game stash and I'd like to save newer users (yes... I'm kinda a Median noob) the same hassle.

My first play through since I joined the forum. My character is/was a 92nd level Death Necromancer that was also a builder for my other characters. Using Plug Y, I had over 2,000,000 gold in my shared stash, and 10 pages of late terror sacreds, good socketables, and tiered 3 to 6 items for future characters. Also had three of most runes, monster trophies, spare class charms from Kurast runs.

TP'd back to Kurast for a bathroom break. Daughter went to vaccume and tripped the breaker, shuttting down power in the computer room. When I started the game later, my first character and his saved stash would not load because of bad or corrupted header. I tried to create a new character and got the same error.

Went online, and read up on similar problems. I copied the characters to a seperate directory and deleted the old save folder and created a new one. Copied the characters back into the file, same problem UNLESS I disabled Plug Y. Then, both characters would load, but the saved stash was gone. My necro still had his level, class charms, and items. But his one page personal stash has all the runes he had. All the shared stash is gone, as well as crafting, shrine, gems and everything that had been in the personal stash. Add the 2,000,000 gold lost and it really sucks. I deleted all characters, created a new character using plug y and voila, everything is good to go. Unfortunately, I cannot play my necro with plug y and have no idea how I can transfer the runes from his personal stash into a new plug Y stash.

This is not a rant, folks. Stuff likes this happen in computer games and it is really annoying. Here's how you can prevent such a mishap from slowing your progress:

1: Back up your whole chracter file! If you use regular D2 with plug y and ultimative, go to My Documents and create a new folder for each version (Diablo-2-Save and MedianUltimative-Save). If you use D2SE, each mod will have its own folder, and those folders should be copied.

2: How often should you copy the data? If you have a big stash, at least once per act. Making sure you Save and Exit before leaving will solve the problem too. I should have done that, but I'd just spent the last half hour getting through the Kurast Jungle with no waypoints and wanted to make it to the city before Saving and Exiting.

3: Even if you prefer the save and exit setting, other issues could cause the stash/character data to be corrupted, so backing up is always a good idea, especially when you're noobish like me.

4: If the character becomes corrupted and unsavable, delete the contents of the save folder and copy/paste the back-ups. You should be able to pick up from the last point you backed up you data.

If anybody has an idea how I can transfer the runes to a new Plug Y stash and get my necro going, that would be great. Otherwise, I will have to somehow mule the stuff over to plug y somehow. Worse comes to worse, I'll run him without -- I did it in Vanilla D2 LOD all the time.

Cheers.

occ
Glowing Fungus

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: New Plug Y Users -- Do Not Make This Mistake

Post by kambala on Sun Nov 24, 2013 11:38 pm

just delete your necro's .d2x file (it's personal stash). the first page of personal stash is saved in the character file.

kambala
Follower of Akarat

View user profile http://worldofplayers.ru/forums/769/

Back to top Go down

Re: New Plug Y Users -- Do Not Make This Mistake

Post by occ on Mon Nov 25, 2013 12:03 am

Thank you Kambala.. that worked and I am able to save all those runes I was hording.

My biggest worry was the progress I made... being my first time through Ultimative, I was pretty proud of beating the level challenges and other accomplishments. It would have sucked losing out on them.

As for the rest of the stash - no biggie. I know what to save now and my old stash was a mixed up mess anyway. Thanks again!

occ
Glowing Fungus

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum