How do you calculate true Damage?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

How do you calculate true Damage?

Post by munkyh3ad on Mon Dec 02, 2013 12:58 pm

Hello all,

Ok, so even after reading several times the responces i believe i still have trouble understanding it all. So please correct me again where i'm wrong.
(here X applies to min Damage, Y applies to max Damage, Z applies to min & max Damage, Q is just a nr)

For a simple melee hit the damage modifies like this:
[0] base weapon damage 10-100 (example)
[1] Z% enhanced damage (max 60% on superior item + 40% lucky recipe + can add 15 MOs of +15% Enhanced damage each = 325% tops)
this first one applies only to base weapon damage
[2] + X min damage & + Y max damage
[3] adds (X-Y or Z) damage (if i have "adds 20 damage" is the 20 added to both min and max damage?)
these above add to the resulting physical min&max damage after ED% applies
[4] enhanced weapon damage plus Z%
[5] current STR or DEX damage bonus: Z% (on 100 points of STR or DEX a 1h = 30%, 2h = 40%, class specific = +10%, and the current bonus % adds?)
[6] +Z% damage to Demons/Undead
these above have each % calculated on it's own and then added to the current physical min&max damage?
[7] + (X-Y or Z) fire/cold/lightning/magic damage (again if i have "adds 20 fire damage" is the 20 added to both min and max damage?)
[8] + (X-Y or Z) poison damage over Q sec (i guess on only 1 hit only 1 sec counts of poison damage added to the rest of damage)
[9] - Q% to enemy fire/cold/lightning/poison damage (unavailable - Q% to enemy magic resistance)
these above can't increase without a "melee swing" skill or without a "melee swing" & + Q% fire/cold/lightning/poison Spell damage
[10] target takes additional damage of Q
this last amount of damage is added on top of the damage that actually hits the enemy

and these modifiers below just don't change damage numbers on weapon
[11] Q% Damage reflected = only on armor and enemy has to hit player (let's avoid getting hit in the first place)
[12] Q% bonus to attack rating = better change to land a hit (no influence on max damage as i initially thought)
[13] Q% increased attack speed = faster swings so more chances to land more hits in less time (no influence on single hit damage)
[14] Q% life stolen per hit = after monster Physical resist is deducted then a % of physical damage converts to player life (not a different damage)

Thank you for reading and sorry for the long post, i intend to edit it once i get it right with your help.

Last edited by munkyh3ad on Tue Dec 31, 2013 12:20 am; edited 2 times in total

munkyh3ad
Dark Lady

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: How do you calculate true Damage?

Post by vadust on Mon Dec 02, 2013 4:49 pm

Enhanced damage(ED) will affect only your base weapon damage 10-100, so it will be calculated first, after that X and Y will be added to the resulting min and max damage only after that enhanced weapon damage(EWD) plus will be added ( from items or skills or from strength or dexterity damage bonuses ), after that X-Y fire/cold/light damage will be added and it can't be increased by ED or EWD only by modifier from some skills that will look like 1/P ( 3/2 or 1/4, etc) that will also increase all you other damage types too ( physical, magic, poison ).

Damage to Demons/Undead will work like bonus EWD, and, as it was mentioned already, Dex and Str bonuses also will work like EWD.

There is a way to increase elemental damage by ( to Spell Damage ) bonuses from items/charms that affect your fire/cold/light damage only(have no idea about flat magic damage not magic damage from skill conversion) and only for your weapon swings against monsters( do not work for ranged and for any weapon damage dealer abilities ).

Attack raiting (AR) will increase your chance to hit from 5 to 95% that have nothing to do with your damage output, the greater AR the better probability to deal successful hit.

Increased attack speed (IAS) will lower period betwen your attacks so that will increase the number of how much attacks you will deal in 1 second and it is different for many skills and all weapons and for each character so you have to calculate how much IAS you need for each character for any weapon by using table of stats of all weapons in this documentation and by using this speed calculator

Life Stolen per hit ( Life Leech = LL ) convert some part of your physical damage in your life but that result can be lowered if monster have Physical resist from 1% to 100% accordingly. Also it have penalties for each difficult level ( i can't remeber true numbers, you can ask that in Short Question Thread..... )

-Enemy resists will increase your elemental damage from weapon or from skills that use and that do not use weapon damage. There is no way to get - enemy magical resist, but you can have magic resists for your character from some items.
- Enemy physical resist comes from few skills : Bane, Colosseum, Spellbind and only Bane can be controled but with max cap 75% other 2 got static bonuses ( idk for sure if it got penalties for each difficult or not) Same goes for Mythal and Phase Bomb that can lower elemental resist and all those Skills can actually break Immunities if monsters resist 100 or 100+(max possible affect from those abilities) -1, i hope you understood what i was wanted to say...
- enemy resist can't break immunity by itself.
Some monsters got resist for all types of damage that will not be showed, for example Diablo got 75 res to all types of damage.

Forget abot Damage reflected modifier it is useless in this mod because monster's life is much more greater then their damage and it will work only against melee hits.

Poison damage can be increased by - enemy posion resist but in 4 times! Because monster with - 99 poison resist will take twice more damage per second from your poison attacks and he will have negative poison length reduction , so it will take 4 times greater damage but in 2 times longer period of time. About hot to increase poison damage for Spell poison and for Weapon damage poison ( From gear or passives or Barbarian Snake Stance ) check This Link.

vadust
Scaled Mutant

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by grimjerk on Mon Dec 02, 2013 4:58 pm

Excellent summation. It should be pointed out though that all sources of off weapon ED(not EWD) act on the base weapon damage of the weapon type, not the listed damage of a particular weapon.

grimjerk
Prince Albrecht

Grumpy Uncle Grimjerk knows best!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Xplosive on Mon Dec 02, 2013 5:17 pm

Basically damage is calculated this way :

Physical dmg dealt minimum or maximum : (base Weapon Dmg (from item info table)*(1+ED%)+flatmin/max dmg)*(1+strength/dex bonuses+total character dmg+%damage to specific enemy+aura/skill granted EWD%)

ED% should be as high as it gets : maximum 60% from superior item , 40% lucky upgrade , bonuses from MO go up to 350% and then apply rw bonus . If you are using unique items the best of the SU you can get are ethereal quality with base of 300% ED% or more treated with indestructible jewel and damage runes such as Ith/Jah/Sha'ad/Ultra whichever you have lol . The reason for not desiring Eth Rws is because you can't lucky them or MO them .

This is rounded down at each step . Strength dex bonuses vary on item type , basically 1h items 30% for 100 of the stat , 2h items 40% , class specific items +10% . This bonus is computed and showed in item information in MXL as xxx% damage bonus based on str/dex . Bonuses to dmg based on stats are granted by some specific items like SHorud Royal , 2h barbie girl set , Larzuk's Roundshot UMO .

Basically you want to get as much %ED and + min/max dmg  on your weapon ; the desired quality is T6 or sacred . Then pump out your stats to 4-5k to your main stat to get 1500-2000 EWD because total char dmg MO sucks ass .

The damage calculated before is multiplied by skill multipliers like 1/2 ; 3/4 , 5/4 . This damage is then converted if you have damage conversion like Bladestorm or something . If this damage exceeds 83k then you will hit for no dmg against monsters because of dmg rollover . You can however do more than 83k dmg if the original dmg didn;t cause rollover and you reduced monster resistances below 0 .

The elemental dmg to weapon benefits from %spelldamage on the direct melee hit , the rest of the damage will only appear inflated on LCS . Statbased elemental dmg like Lion Stance magic dmg bonus isn't going to get boosted by %magic phys spell damage .

This more or less sums it up

Xplosive
Bloody Butcher

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by munkyh3ad on Tue Dec 03, 2013 12:09 pm

@vadust Thank you, i have edited the 1st post with what i believe is now the correct order for melee damage. And soon i will try to figure out other damage types with their extra modifiers from skills.

@grimjerk Seems fair, if i have a (Tier 1) base damage (8-12) Short sword (50% enhanced damage) and on some armor piece (50% enhanced damage) the result will be a total damage (16-24) Short sword. Right?

@Xplosive Thank you too. But I have trouble understanding how to apply the formula, i've tried to calculate for min and max damage with:
Necromancer with round stats (STR=100 DEX=100)
1 skill point into Parasite (5/4 weapon damage, 50% converts physical damage to magic damage)
a (Tier 1) base damage (8-36) regular Scythe (current DEX damage bonus:22%) that has 1 socket
and i put in an "nonexistent" jewel (50% enhanced damage, +5 min damage, ads 20 damage, enhanced weapon damage plus 50%, +50% damage to Undead, + 1-10 cold damage, + 5 poison damage over 5 sec, target takes additional damage of 10)

...but i get crazy numbers like 1395 min damage and i know that can't be right. Will have to rethink the whole thing.

munkyh3ad
Dark Lady

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Xplosive on Tue Dec 03, 2013 2:09 pm

Necromancer scythes only receive bonus dmg from str .

I am pretty sure Laz made weapons have only 1 stat bonus . Not sure about some pikes but you only get bonus dmg from str there .

For further info check how LCS displays poison dmg . If you have multiple sources dmg/frame is the sum and the duration is the average of the poison durations ; poison dmg is displayed as whole dmg over all duration , not over 1 instance like the other dmg .

Xplosive
Bloody Butcher

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by munkyh3ad on Wed Dec 04, 2013 5:39 am

You are right about the Necromancer Scythes but in my example i used a regular Scythe, that any character can equip. So it would work with the Parasite skill but i don't have to take into consideration Mega Impact (from Necromancer Scythes). Because to me the (-25% target physical resistance over 2 sec) would translate in (+25% physical damage over 2 sec) and i'm not sure how that goes, i guess it's like EWD. But i may be wrong entirely.

And still i don't understand how the (current DEX damage bonus:22%) would translate into damage. If i have a round DEX: 100 does it mean i get +22 damage? Is it min or is it max?

And also if i have a modifier of (adds 20 damage) or (adds 20 fire damage) is the 20 added to both min and max?

munkyh3ad
Dark Lady

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum