Help an old man stop dying in Ubers

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Help an old man stop dying in Ubers

Post by OldMan on Wed Dec 04, 2013 4:15 am

Class:  Holy Melee Paladin
Issue:  Getting virtually insta-killed in many ubers, Difficult time in Destruction Baal

Greetings board!  Quick background - I'm a 67 yo widower, and only got into gaming recently. Grandson turned me on to Diablo II:  LOD, and then I found this Mod wandering around the internet.

I was hoping to get some input from you all.  I am having a difficult time in the more advanced portions of the game, such as Destruction Level:
Baal, Rathma Square, Cathedral of Vanity, Toraja, Vizjun, Akarat, Lord Aldric Jitan, Legacy of Blood, Judgement Day, Fauztinville, Ghosts of Old Bremmtown, Kingdom of Shadow, Duncraig, and the Heroic Bosses

I've checked http://www.medianxl.com/t44-guide-to-all-uberquests, and it gave me some good pointers for the Ubers I have managed to survive through.

I am currently playing a holy melee paladin, but through dumb luck, I am wearing a complete Malthael set for Holy Casters.  For Melee, I checked out http://www.medianxl.com/t1308p50-from-1f9b-to-v7holy-melee-paladin-guide, but it was too, um, well, it was not in a format that made me devour its contents well.  Moreover, I checked out this link, but it seemed outdated:  http://www.medianxl.com/h7-missingno and I also got killed really quickly, even more quickly than my set up below.

Additionally, once I got the Malthael set farming Kurast 3000, I tried to go to Holy caster via this thread, but did not like it (I died even more quickly than I did with a melee set up):  http://www.medianxl.com/t708p10-holy-caster-paladin-project-by-stoya-winter-is-coming.  

Moreover, many of the Youtube videos about the character and uber levels are either done by people who are already maxed out equipment-wise and face-roll the uber without giving any real advice/strategy, or they are speaking French/Russian/etc.

My difficulty comes with the high level of damage I take in Ubers, getting almost immediately swarmed upon entering the Uber, getting insta-killed 15 steps in, etc.  My summons Daystar, Bane Monster, and Shredder get killed within 1 second.  It is getting so frustrating, that I am essentially really just playing the, “Median XL, Destruction Level Kurast 3000” mod.  That's the really only Uber on Destruction I can farm.

My “rotation” is essentially buff with Lionheart, Rapture, Vessel of Judgment, Merkabah, and Blazing Fury, and keep them up at all times.  I hit the mobs with Vindicate, plop a brimstone at my feet, Colosseum into the mobs, spam brimstone and bang away with Hammerstrike.  If I get a little overwhelmed, I try to Colosseum or Divine Apparition away.  I bring with me 5 skeletons from Destruction Kurast via Resurrect.

Below is my set up.

I have no problem continuing to farm Kurast 3000 to get some better equipment, but I would like to be able to enjoy the other Ubers of the game.  Moreover, I would prefer to remain a Holy Melee Paladin, as I do enjoy the playstyle.  However, if Unholy Melee would make a difference with the appropriate gear, I would be willing to learn its playstyle.

Lastly, I have tried making rune word items, but, even after reading this link and the documentation, I get a little confused at just what exactly I need to do, as well as what items to look for while farming – http://www.medianxl.com/t11-shrine-crafting-thread.

Some additional basic questions:
What is my target Defense with Lionheart?
What is my target Attack Rating for both normal attack and Hammerstrike?

I am using Pluggy and MedianXL Offline Tools.

Base Stats
Spoiler:
Strength:  922
Dexterity:  169
Vitality:  25
Energy:  15

After Point Allocation
Spoiler:
Strength:  2736
Dexterity:  387 (For Equipment Requirements)
Vitality:  151
Energy:  209
All Resists currently at 80

Other Stats
Spoiler:
Attack Damage (Normal) 7579-10K
Average Chance to hit random Destruction Kurast 3000 Skeleton:  87%
HammerStrike:  Flucates to quickly to see, looks like min can be 12k - 56k, max can be 17K - 63K
HammerStrike Attack Rating:  Average Chance to hit random Destruction Kurast 3000 Skeleton:  91%

Defense w/o Lionheart:  79869
Average Chance to be hit random Destruction Kurast 3000 Skeleton:  12%

Defense w/ Lionheart:  292289
Average Chance to be hit random Destruction Kurast 3000 Skeleton:  5%

Stam:  2784
Life:  7773
Mana:  2533

Skill Tree
Spoiler:
Retaliate:  1 (24 with total added bonuses)
Hammerstrike: 24 (47 with total added bonuses) (Maxed out)
Merkabah:  4  (27 with total added bonuses)
Lionheart: 12 (35 with total added bonuses) (at Maximum Total Char Defnse Bonus of 1000%)
Colosseum:  21 (44 with total added bonuses) (Maxed out)

Searing Glow:  1 (24 with total added bonuses)
Blazing Fury:  24 (47 with total added bonuses) (Maxed out)
Brimstone:  23 (46 with total added bonuses) (Maxed out)

Vessel of Judgment:  1 (24 with total added bonuses)
Rapture:  1 (24 with total added bonuses)
Light and Shadow 1 (24 with total added bonuses)

Ubers
Resurrect:  10 (33 with total added bonuses) (Maxed out)
Divine Apparition:  1 (24 with total added bonuses)
Blessed Life:  10 (33 with total added bonuses) (Maxed out)

Level 0 Challenge completed
Level 1 Challenge completed
Level 2 Challenge completed
Enead Challenge Completed
Black Road Challenge Completed
Minigame 1 and 2 completed
1 Veteran Token Upgraded
3 Signets of Skill from Act Bosses Dogmas

436 Signets of Learning

Weapon
Spoiler:
Malthael's Wrath Holy Lance
Two Hand Damage:  284-490
[AMAZING GRACE]
+ 5 Pally Skills
75% increased attack speed
+190% Enhanced Damage
+20% to Poison Spell Damage
+37% to Fire Spell Damage
+37% to Cold Spell Damage
+14% Chance of crushing Blow
Enchanced Weapon Damage +100%

[Socketed with 6 JAH runes, Mystic Orbs:10 Enhanced Weapon Damage plus 10%]; All included in above listing
Helm
Spoiler:
Malthael's Crown
+2 Pally skills
237% Bonus to Attack Rating
-12% to Enemy Fire Resistance
-11% to Enemy Cold Resistance
+8% to Summon Minion Life
+350% enhanced Defense
17% Bonus to Strength
Damage Reduced by 1%
+29 Life on Striking in Melee

[Socketed with 4 KO Rune , Mysitc Orbs:  4 +2%to Summon Minion Life, 6 +15 Enhanced Defense]; All included in above listing
Chest
Spoiler:
Malthael's Halo
+ 3 Pally Skills
+24% Fire Spell Damage
+22% Cold Spell Damage
+350% Enhanced Defense
Cold Resist +40%
Fire Resist +47%
Reqs =40%

[Socketed with 4 KO Rune, 2 jewels (+2% to phys/mag Spell Damage, 1% Bonus to all Attributes, Lightning Resist +20%, Poison Resist +24%; +2% to Fire Spell Damage, 1% Bonus to Strength, Poison Resist +20%), 10 Mystic Orbs +15% Enhanced Defense]; All included in above listing

Gloves
Spoiler:
Centuria Insectorum Gauntlents (Sacred Unique)
+1 to all Skills
25% increased Attack Speed
+50 to Minimum Damage
+342% Enhanced Defense
14% Bonus to Strength
12% Bonus to Dexterity
+44 Strenth
+24 Dexterity
+24 Vitallity
+24 Energy
Total Char Defense +48%
20% Reanim. Darkling

[Socketed with 4 ELD Rune, 10 Mystic Orb +2 Strength]; All included in above listing

Belt
Spoiler:
Malthael's Malthael's
+ 1 Pally Skills
+24% Cold Spell Damage
+22% Summon Minion Damage
+150 Enhanced Defense
+28 Strength
Double Terror Strike Duration
5% Chance of Uninterruptable Attack
Total Char Defense +17%
Reqs -20%

[Socketed with 4 KO Runes, 10 Mystic Orbs +15% Enhanced Defense]; All included in above listing

Boots
Spoiler:
Malthael's Stride
5% Chance to Cast Level 14 Carpet of Spiders on Melee Attack
+ Pally Skills
30% Faster Run/Walk
10% Increased Attack Speed
+21% Fire Spell Damage
+15% Bonus to Summoned Minion Life
+350% Enhanced Defense

[Socketed with 4 KO rune, 10 Mystic Orb +15% Enhanced Defense]; All included in above listing

Amulet
Spoiler:
Beast Fish
+3 to all skills
+36 to Minimum Damage
+3% to all enemy resistances
+18% Poison Spell Damage
+100 Defense
+30 Strength
+36 Energy
Damage Reduced by 28
Total Char Defense +3%
+19 Life after each kill

[15 Mystic Orbs +2 Strength]; All included in above listing

Ring
Spoiler:
Blood Band
+19 Energy Factor to Spell Damage
+1 all Skills
+12% Enemy Cold Resistance
+29% to Phys/Magic Spell Damage
+Summon to Daystar
+375 Defense
+32 Strength
+8 dexterity
+8 Vitality
+8 Energy
249% Extra Gold

[15 Mystic Orbs +25 Defense, 12 Mystic Orbs +2 Strength]; All included in above listing

Ring
Spoiler:
Entropy Circle
+1 all Skills
+12% Enemy Cold Resistance
+1 Summon Bane Monster
+1 summon Shredder
+10 Bonus to Summoned Minion Life
+375 Defense
+21 Strength
+9 dexterity
+9 vitality
+9 energy
Replenish Life +36

[5 Mystic Orb +2% Summon Minion Life, Mystic Orb +1 Summon Shredder, Mystic Orb 15 +25 Defense, Mystic Orb 6 +2 Strength]; All included in above listing

Trinkets
Spoiler:
Azmodan's Heart
+5% all Max Resists
all Resists +29%

Zakarum's Ear
9% Bonus to all Attributes
+22% Exp Gained
+2 Light Radius

Sunstone Of elements
+2 All Skills
20% Increased overall speed
Adds 15-20 Fire Damage
Adds 15-20 Lightning Damage
Adds 15-20 Cold Damage
-10% Enemey Fire Resistance
-10% Enemy Lightning Resistance
-10% Enemy Cold Resistance
15% All Attributes
+30 Defense
All Resists +50%

Six Angel Bag
Adds 132-166 Fire Damage
Adds 126-207 Lighning Damage
Adds 102-290 Cold Damage
-9% All Enemy Resistances
5% Chance of Crushing Blow
Cold Resist +23%
Lightning Resist +22%
Fire Resist +24%
-5 Light Radius

Harkon Crystal
10% Increased Overall Speed
+7 All Attributes
1% reanimate Invader
231% Extra Gold

Horazon's Focus
5% Mana Stolen Per Hit
5% Life Stolen Per Hit
-50 Defense
+23 All Attributes

Sacred World Stone Key
Enhanced Weapon Damage +48%
Total Char Defense +25%

Sunstone of the Gods
Adds 98-122 Fire Damage
Adds 93-101 Lightning Damage
Adds 66-123 Cold Damage
Increase Max Life/Mana 11%

Scroll of Kinds
+20% to Spell Damage
18% Bonus to All Attributes

Class Charm
+3 Pally Skills
Max Skill Increased by 3
+150 to Life
+150 to Mana
Damage Reduced by 5%
Total Char Defense +30%
+20 Experience Gained
Poison Length Reduced 33%
+2 Light Radius
Full Set Bonus:
Spoiler:
150% Extra Gold from Monsters
+4 to Paladin Skill Levels
+75 Energy Factor to Spell Damage
+8 to Mythal
+50% to Searing Glow Dazzle Duration
+100% to Fire Spell Damage
+100% to Physical/Magic Spell Damage
+200 to Energy
+200 to Vitality
Total Character Defense Plus 66%
Hireling
Act I Hatred Ranger

OldMan
Fallen One

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Help an old man stop dying in Ubers

Post by MarcoNecroX on Wed Dec 04, 2013 5:21 am

welcome! I declare you as the official grandpa of the forum.

First of all, sets remove versatility. Mainly due to the fact that they disable your switch-gear, as switching will cause you to loose your full set bonuses, which are the main (and usually only) reason to wear a set. While physical/magic damage combo is pretty much the most effective farming combination, for some end-game uberquests you need focused fire/cold/light damage (brimstone), as these elements are pierce-able with -%Enemy Resistances.

Heroic shields will leave the monsters with 75%+ resistances after they drop one of them, so you want to be able to inflict as much damage as you can in little time. For this, you will need brimstone and a bunch of -%EFR (fire pierce), as well as nice amounts of spell damage. But for this you're going to need some temporary tweaks to your gear. Try to collect fascinating shrines, and craft a paladin weapon/shield with as much fire pierce and fire spell damage as you can. Remember to successfully bless those crafts too. Reaching around 80% pierce will grant you an average of 10 times more damage compared to having no pierce at all. There are also more items you could switch, like the helm, and try Gul runeword on paladin helms to get socreress morph and faster casting. Finally, if you're willing to respec, you could dump all your points into energy for more damage.

Baal, Rathma Square, Cathedral of Vanity, Toraja, Vizjun, Akarat, Lord Aldric Jitan, Legacy of Blood, Judgement Day, Fauztinville, Ghosts of Old Bremmtown, Kingdom of Shadow, Duncraig, and the Heroic Bosses
Baal: avoid getting into melee range of anything, and keep spamming brimstone.
Rathma Square: fairly easy, you need to stack a lot of defense, drink a few potions. The boss is really easy. You can try rushing him as well.
CoV: another really easy uber. dodging/teleport make this uber really easy. Simply lower the crystal ball's health with brimstone, if you die it's fine, just make sure you don't get entrances blocked, so be smart with your TP's.
Toraja: a bit of luck is involved here, but mainly you will need a good defense, and good summons. If you get physical immune resurrects, this one should be a cake. In vizjun there are some, if you can kill a few mobs before dying.
Vizjun: put more points into Rapture and rush, use purify, grab the charm and leave.
Akarat: just use brimstone and avoid melee range, it should be really easy in a few tries.
LAJ: just summon him far away, and lure his minions one by one. Finally when you're one on one, use brimstone. Quite easy too.
LoB: summon everything you can, then use dark summoning. The monsters will be busy killing your minions, so just spam brimstone and pray that bartuc dies. Might take a few tries, but it can be fairly easy.
JDay: concentrated dps and enough cast speed to keep the ghosts attacking your minions 24/7 makes this one really easy too. Try to get the initial charm first and use edyrems, regular summons tend to move a lot. Once a boss spawns, just kill it with brimstone.
Fauzt: no charms here, however defense=win. Retaliate is good here.
Bremmtown: same here, although you need a decent killspeed here, and retaliate.
KoS: You will need a lot of perfect turquoises to reach 95% poison resistances, then some points into rapture, and just run while drinking potions, and abuse divine apparition.
Duncraig: trial & error until you can dodge the barrels without thinking
Heroic bosses: as I explained before, brimstone and a lot of pierce

I suggested brimstone, and I supposed it should be fine considering you have it maxed. Note that melee characters are quite easily the most challenging to play, and not necessarily the most rewarding ones. If you ever get bored and want to just go for something powerful without loosing a lot of progress, i would recommend unholy caster.

good luck

MarcoNecroX
Malthael

Führer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Quirinus on Wed Dec 04, 2013 11:35 am

Cant really respond well because im on my phone and dont have internet home atm (and i dont know paladin much), but i must say im impressed by you using/switching all those skills to get max effect, if you say you started relatively recently. Also nice post. Welcome. Smile

Heres how to make the perfect rws, its a bit complicated until you get used to it, you dont need to do everything listed here unless you want the absolute perfect results:

Not really sure for your build, but for rws you usually find the best sacred item in its slot to get max defense/damage (you can check them in base items section in docs, theyre usually the last listed) or items with low req lvl if you want lots of mo space. then use cube recipes to make it white/gray with the affix burn recipe, then you use oil of enhancement twice to get it to superior. Then use oil of renewal until you get abour 50% def/dmg bonus and 0 or max sockets. (Here, if youre really patient, if its a weapon, you can try using the 999 sha'ads mystic orb once to get the green stat line (only 2% chance though) or rerolling if it fails.) Then use the lucky recipe. If it fails (never fails if you got the 999 orb bonus), you can reroll it with oil of renewal again. Now you end up with an item with max or 0 sockets. If its 0, just cube the item with as many shitty jewels as there are max socket slots, to drill in new sockets.

Now you generally want to find (or create troug recipe) max sockets-1 rare jewels. Then you go to a2 far oasis and summon the dragon and kill it, then cube each jewel once (check the challenges/dragon eggs for recipe) to upgrade them to 99 item level. Then you can craft them(cube recipes/jewelcrafting; keep in mind each jewelcraft reduces jewel ilvl so dont craft the same jewel many times because youll get lower lvl stats/affixes) or keep rerolling them on the dragons or oils of renewal until you get good jewels (make sure one of them has indestructible on it because repairng rws is expensive). Then you use the lucky recipe on all jewels.

Now you can use enhanced defense/damage orbs to get to 350% ed% if you want (have to pay attention that the +req lvls from orbs and whichever is higher from item/rw/jewel req lvl dont go over 120.) Then put the jewels in, and at the end the rune for the rw. Now you put in any other mystic or
orbs you want, if its under lvl 120.

Thats it.xD

You can even use parts of this for making strong TU items. With uniqes you might sometimes try the lottery recipe instead of the lucky if you want, but the chance is just 5% instead of 20% (it still auto works on weapons if you got the 999 mo bonus if you were lucky or patient to reroll it with the unique creation recipe).

Quirinus
Creature of Flame

Bloody High Five
TGGood none

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Frostbite on Wed Dec 04, 2013 12:24 pm

Hi, I'm not very experienced with holy paladins, but I think your build looks more like a hybrid melee-caster. If that's what you want, you might want to follow the Missingno guide.

Otherwise, I'd forget about the holy caster skills and focus on the melee skills. You should probably try to maximize your physical damage. You could put 25 points into Colosseum to minimize the timer, so you can use it as much as possible - it reduces enemy physical resistances, making physical damage more effective. If you want extra magic damage, then put 25 points into Merkabah for maximum critical hit chance. Put a few points into Rapture for a decent duration and the rest into Lionheart for more physical damage. Of course, you will also need points into Blessed Life, unless you already have 50 physical resistance. If you want another damage source, max the Plague skill - it is quite effective with Retaliate, but remember to get at least -100 to enemy poison resistance.

With this setup, you could use Colosseum and Vindicate to debuff the enemy, then either Retaliate for large groups or Hammerstrike for single targets. Since you have a lot of physical damage, try to get some life leech to keep you healed. With Retaliate, you shouldn't get overwhelmed so easily. But if you do, don't forget about Sacred Armor - even with just one point in it, it is quite useful in certain situations.

Oh, as for your questions, ideally you want enough defense to have only 5% chance to be hit in the ubers you're farming and enough attack rating to hit reliably often (95% is the maximum). But don't sacrifice too much damage for defense - the faster you kill things, the less damage they can do to you.

And about the hireling, the archers are quite effective with the TU Short War Bow - try it. If she dies too often, get the bloodmage from Act III.

Lastly, don't expect to excel in all ubers with just one setup. Some ubers favor certain builds over others, while other ubers are just hard. If you've come so far, then you're doing well. Hope this helps!

Frostbite
Jungle Hunter

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by OldMan on Wed Dec 04, 2013 1:59 pm

@MarcoNecroX wrote: welcome! I declare you as the official grandpa of the forum.
Thanks!

As for your advice, thanks again - I guess I just got too "wedded" to the set, and assumed that was the ultimate goal as it is in some other RPG games.  Now I am kicking myself over the thought of vendoring or ignoring some drops....

@Quirinus wrote: Heres how to make the perfect rws...
Wow!  This is perhaps the best, and easiest to understand write-up of the process.  As for your discussion on Jewels, I have about a solid page of Rare Jewels in my Pluggy enhanced Stash, many of which are already at 99ilvl.  The issue I have noticed is that the Unique Jewels are utter crap with their stats - maybe I am just getting trashy drops with those.  I'll take your advice and start making a "wish list" up from the documentation, head to Kurast, and try to get some better upgrades.

@Frostbite wrote: You could put 25 points into Colosseum to minimize the timer, so you can use it as much as possible
Thank you for your input as well.  As of now, the max point allocation I can put in Colosseum is 21.  I still need to do MirrorMirror minigame which would allow that max number to go to 22.  Are there other ways/items that increase max skill points?

And sorry to keep asking such noobish questions, but what is "physical resistance", and how can I determine if I am at 50%?

OldMan
Fallen One

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Frostbite on Wed Dec 04, 2013 3:45 pm

@OldMan wrote:
Thank you for your input as well.  As of now, the max point allocation I can put in Colosseum is 21.  I still need to do MirrorMirror minigame which would allow that max number to go to 22.  Are there other ways/items that increase max skill points?

And sorry to keep asking such noobish questions, but what is "physical resistance", and how can I determine if I am at 50%?
Yes, as you noted, certain charms and charm upgrades increase the maximum skill level. I think the total maximum skill level you get from charms alone is +10. In addition, certain pieces of equipment also increase your maximum skill level - you can put them on, assign your skill points, then put back your regular gear and the skill points will stay. But I don't know all of those items and some are pretty rare, so don't count on getting all of those.

Physical resistance works just like elemental resistances, but only for physical ("normal") damage. It is capped at 50, however, and you cannot increase the cap. You get it from Blessed Life and from items. It is very nice to have, since most monster attack are physical.

It doesn't show up on your character screen, so you have to sum up the bonuses from items and skills yourself. Though if you use Plugy, maybe it shows it for you (I don't have Plugy, so I can't check).

Monsters have physical resistance too, that's why Colosseum is so good - it reduces enemies' physical resistance. This makes your weapon attacks much more effective. Same goes for other types of damage - if you take Plague, then you need at least -100 to enemy poison resistance from your gear to make it really effective. Resistances cannot be reduced below -100, but since most monsters already have a positive resistance, you may want to have a bit more than -100 enemy resistance reduction.

Frostbite
Jungle Hunter

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by grimjerk on Wed Dec 04, 2013 4:17 pm

Welcome to the geezer brigade! Between me, you and Flubby this placebis turning into an old folks home.

I don't remember if you have a switch weapon or not but if you use the Ring o Fiery Ass Whooping alot, then consider Xorine's Cane. The Bane only has a one second timer and it stacks with Coloseum's -enemy physical resist.

grimjerk
Prince Albrecht

Grumpy Uncle Grimjerk knows best!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Quirinus on Wed Dec 04, 2013 9:04 pm

Forgot to mention if the rw stats don't turn out the best you unsocket with 3 perfect gems and oil of disjunction and then socket it again. xD

Quirinus
Creature of Flame

Bloody High Five
TGGood none

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Arc_Razer on Thu Dec 05, 2013 8:27 am

How many users here are over thirty? Four maybe?

Arc_Razer
Arachnida

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by RollsRoyce on Thu Dec 05, 2013 8:56 am

probably the easiest fix for your problem is to craft a bow with tantrum.

1. Marco pointed out that the set isnt best choice for holy melee
(however if you plan to respec to unholy , mindflay + mythal = instawin vs astrogha ..., mythal not even needed)

Craft Boots - You can get Whirlpool oskill -it really helps in some situations

3. theres the item called the Dragon star ( or similar) - Rathma chosen oskill makes your minions immune to ...all. If you find this its time to kill kabraxis

4. Really get a diffrent Weapon Very Happy max strength but a weapon with 400 base dmg ??? Really Very Happy i think even TU versions can provide you with alot more, not even talking about double mo rws

RollsRoyce
The Smith

롤스로이스 ☆☆☆☆
TGBest Transferred

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum