Which MOs on weapon

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Which MOs on weapon

Post by Kato on Fri Dec 06, 2013 9:39 pm

First, I'm confused as to the difference between these two MOs:

+15% Enhanced Damage
Enhanced Weapon Damage +10%

Second, for an axe-throw barb which MOs are better for weapon? And is one of the above better than:

1% Crushing Blow (I currently have 64% CB)
2% Life Leech (currently have 32% LL including 14% from the char orb)
+10 Max damage

Third, I guess for armour I'll have to choose between 2% total char defence and 15% enhanced defence for one particular item (or damage reduction)?

I put thunderhammer on kill on my Empyrean band, but I've no idea what else to put on ring/amulet - are the summoning MOs any good?

TIA

Kato
Core Lord

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Which MOs on weapon

Post by Sexen on Fri Dec 06, 2013 10:01 pm

Ed is more effective than ewd. Worry about Ed and if there is leftover room you could get ewd.

Life after kill is better than life on hit. Don't bother with cb or max DMG.

Armour get 350 Ed then get tcd. Interger damage reduced by is only really effective in generous numbers.

Stats and -res are good for rings. Don't waste time on summon MO's IMO.

Sexen
Howling Spirit

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Quirinus on Fri Dec 06, 2013 10:04 pm

Ewd comes later in the damage formula, multiplying more things. It is basically the same as the enhanced damage you get from skills. In almost all cases you want just the good old 15% enhanced damage till 350%.

Yes, you usually want to max ed% and only then use other mos. You're using the skill that throws million of axes? Then things that benefit from many hits are stronger. I dont really know... maybe LL%.

For armor, the same thing, 15% ed, i like to get uninterupted attack, but im playing a melee barb, dont think thats useful barb ranged, i guess you can go for tcd% after that.

Id suggest using -% enemy res, but you probably dont have really a strong element. Unless you use snake stance, but from what you say it seems you use wolf.

Dunno for rings, maybe vita if you want more life (barb gets tons of life from vita), and i dont remember if throwing axes use dex or str, but i guess dex.

Quirinus
Creature of Flame

Bloody High Five
TGGood none

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Kato on Fri Dec 06, 2013 10:45 pm

Thanks for the replies guys, very useful.

I upped my TU6 balanced axe with 15 MOs with 15%ED. As I did it I noticed that the damage stopped going up, although it kept cubing them and upping the level requirement while the overall ED% was stuck at 440%

So I guess there's some kind of limit that's not obvious from the item stats? How can I tell if it won't improve the item's stats other than by noticing that the last one did nothing (by which time I've already wasted one)?

I spent a while running Hatred Meph to get the axes re-rolled to a near-perfect roll, so di I now need to go and do that again? Sad I really wish there was a recipe just to remove the MOs, this happened before with the +99 to get a life thing. It's getting annoying!

Kato
Core Lord

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sexen on Fri Dec 06, 2013 10:48 pm

Its capped at 350% Ed. The tu axe you used in this case has an additional 90 Ed from a source. I'm guessing runes?

Offline tools has a feature in which you can remove mo. If online you have to find a new one.

Sexen
Howling Spirit

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Kato on Fri Dec 06, 2013 11:25 pm

Ah yeah 6 Ith runes. I have the offline tools (yes it's SP, I can't get connected to the TSW server) but I'm happy enough on SP for now at least.

I was looking for how to remove MOs via the tools and after reading your post I finally found it. It's not in the controls at the bottom of the window, it's by choosing the Items tab and then right-clicking on the item to get a menu that gives the option to remove MOs.

Phew! Once again thanks for the help, saved me a lot of time.
Now to decide what other MOs are useful, maybe more thunder-wotsit like on the ring.

Kato
Core Lord

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sexen on Fri Dec 06, 2013 11:36 pm

Use snake stance and MO with -res. Best throw barb IMO uses snake stance. Idk about the new sssu's but whistling death su with scales of the serpent was what I used and it just melted duncraig. I know there's some old videos on YouTube of someone (I think aerial) showing a throw barb destroying duncraig.

Sexen
Howling Spirit

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Kato on Sat Dec 07, 2013 1:36 am

I was using the guide in the forums that says put 25 points in Eagle Stance. I've only put 1 in each stance so far (even though I could edit with offline tools) and I find myself using Wolf stance all the time (as Quirinus correctly surmised).

Partly it's the faster R/W since my gear has none. I should have probably MO'd some R/W onto something and use Lion or Eagle, but I'll try snake stance as well. The good thing about SP is I can change it I guess.

The other reason I think I've not gone for the recommended lots of points in Eagle is that I've always felt life regen is never fast enough - although the guide says you can get 5 second regen there's plenty of stuff that kills you must faster than that.

In the end, I should probably try them all now that I've got past level 90 and started unlocking skills.

The other thing is that the guide isn't very clear if you should fight in Eagle or fight in Wolf and switch to Eagle when needed - doing that in time and getting enough regen in time seems a bit unlikely, because...

My biggest problem in this mod has always been staying alive, not killing speed. Even with 75% resist all and lots of life I can still be close to death very fast in some situations.
I may need to get +max resists and aim for 95% resist all - I assume damage reduction only applies to physical damage like in cLod? I haven't seen the old "Magic damage reduced by X" though so perhaps it now covers all damage types.

Kato
Core Lord

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sexen on Sat Dec 07, 2013 2:48 am

@Kato wrote:I was using the guide in the forums that says put 25 points in Eagle Stance. I've only put 1 in each stance so far (even though I could edit with offline tools) and I find myself using Wolf stance all the time (as Quirinus correctly surmised). You need to invest points in stances for them to be effective.

Partly it's the faster R/W since my gear has none. I should have probably MO'd some R/W onto something and use Lion or Eagle, but I'll try snake stance as well. The good thing about SP is I can change it I guess. Slow from snake stance/items negates the need for moving super fast. End game 1 point is enough for wolf stance as a switch oh-shit skill.

The other reason I think I've not gone for the recommended lots of points in Eagle is that I've always felt life regen is never fast enough - although the guide says you can get 5 second regen there's plenty of stuff that kills you must faster than that. 2 things, 5 second regen on 20k plus life is more than enough in most places. It is scaled. Secondly eagle is a synergie for snake stance, increasing damage significantly.

In the end, I should probably try them all now that I've got past level 90 and started unlocking skills. Yep

The other thing is that the guide isn't very clear if you should fight in Eagle or fight in Wolf and switch to Eagle when needed - doing that in time and getting enough regen in time seems a bit unlikely, because...

My biggest problem in this mod has always been staying alive, not killing speed. Even with 75% resist all and lots of life I can still be close to death very fast in some situations.
I may need to get +max resists and aim for 95% resist all - I assume damage reduction only applies to physical damage like in cLod? I haven't seen the old "Magic damage reduced by X" though so perhaps it now covers all damage types. Yes you need to increase max resists but alternatively you can get rune master and get insane amounts of defense. Characters become in limbo after level 90 for newer players, as your character that got you there is less effective, and adding more skill options does not always give an obvious resolution. 95% res is kinda hard to get without gimping yourself on a barb so just use rune master and get 1 million defense Razz You will get around 85% max res with charms (more with some of the new ones) so don't worry about it Cool

Sexen
Howling Spirit

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Kato on Sat Dec 07, 2013 3:02 am

Thanks Sexen. This may work differently than cLoD where defence didn't affect elemental damage (as I remember it, but it's many years since I stopped playing d2 before this).

Interesting the synergy between Snake/Eagle.
Each point put in Eagle gets +9% poison damage for Snake. Putting a point directly in Snake seems to give just under 12% (assuming the increase is linear) so, as you say, it seems that 1 point in Snake and lots in Eagle is a good way to go.

Then we can use the stances as each situation needs.

P.S. I just tried running through the Terror Lower Kurast in Eagle stance with only 1 point in it (although +8 skills). It was an absolute breeze despite the -50% damage.

When I did Hatred Kurast it was a nightmare staying alive. So it seems the Eagle thing works well.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Kato
Core Lord

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum