Shotgun Necromancer Help

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Shotgun Necromancer Help

Post by buffaloburger on Sun Dec 15, 2013 6:02 pm

Hey all, picked up Median Xl again after dabbling in it ~3-4 years ago. (note that I am not running ultimative, plan to switch after getting a feel for Laz's work first). Building myself a Buckshot oriented necromancer and am looking for additional advice/information than I have been able to find on the new forums Crying or Very sad .

1st question regards Buckshot's mechanics: From what I saw ND is not a limiting factor on Buckshot, can someone confirm? Unsure if table I used is current.
2. How does crushing blow interact with Buckshot?
3. Will on strike procs trigger on a shard by shard basis, or is it by one Buckshot blast at a time?
4. Outside of Median's base Leech penalty by difficulty, does buckshot suffer an additional penalizing component in regards to leech potential?
5. Does doom curse interact on a shard-by-shard basis?
6. How does Attack Rating factor into buckshot? 1 roll for whole attack per monster is how I assume it works.
7. Do soft skill points improve buckshot directly aside from irrelevant mana cost reduction?
8. I want to reduce Buckshot animation's frames. Do I Need FCR, or IAS? Any critical breakpoint for it in your opinion?

Secondly I am not sure how I want to fully distribute skill points. Currently I am dumping as much as possible into Buckshot, Dragonfire oil, and Famine. Have Summon Lamia maxed for my level, and 1 point in other summons. Lamia feels very questionable to me, as they have yet to do much other than briefly draw attention and die, while tossing a minor doom on target. (not that brief distractions aren't valuable in this mod  Mr Green )

So I Have been considering a couple options:
1. Take Death Ward as passive and lose lamia in favor of a fatter Void Archon for his useful aura.

2. Take Rathma Chosen with a Veil King for all my minion/reanimate needs.

3. Something that likely works better?

Finally, any additional thoughts or information on the subject of Shotgun Necromancers is appreciated! Thanks all. Sorry if I missed these with the search function, but answers were few and far between on this subject Whistling 

buffaloburger
Que-Hegan

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Shotgun Necromancer Help

Post by RollsRoyce on Sun Dec 15, 2013 6:06 pm

@buffaloburger wrote:
2. How does crushing blow interact with Buckshot?
3. Will on strike procs trigger on a shard by shard basis, or is it by one Buckshot blast at a time?
4. Outside of Median's base Leech penalty by difficulty, does buckshot suffer an additional penalizing component in regards to leech potential?
5. Does doom curse interact on a shard-by-shard basis?
6. How does Attack Rating factor into buckshot? 1 roll for whole attack per monster is how I assume it works.
7. Do soft skill points improve buckshot directly aside from irrelevant mana cost reduction?
8. I want to reduce Buckshot animation's frames. Do I Need FCR, or IAS? Any critical breakpoint for it in your opinion?

2 each shard can trigger cb, cb reduces enemies life by % ( i forgot how many % though)
3. yes per shard
4 no additional penalty
5. yes
6. everytime a monster gets hit the whole calculation is done so again shard by shard
7.no idea Smile and too lazy to check
8. i guess IAS

RollsRoyce
The Smith

롤스로이스 ☆☆☆☆
TGBest Transferred

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sexen on Sun Dec 15, 2013 6:16 pm

First; Ultimative is the same game with add-ons. An expansion if you will. Plus you will have to wipe when you change so might as well do it now before you get some really good stuff.

1. IDK
2. It works like it does for all ranged skills. -with missile weapons, default: 1/8th.  -with missile weapons, vs Champions, Uniques, Bosses: 1/16th
3. Shard by shard basis.
4. No
5. Yes
6. AR per shard per monster hit.
7. I don't remember. Read the skill description when you put on a +1 skill ring for example and read it again after you remove it.
8. IAS

Don't max Lamia's because you are not a summon necro and will not have the required gears to make them viable. A 1 point Void Archon does wonders and the only summon you really need.

1. Yep
2. No you are not a summoner you are an active attacker. You "can" do this but Death Ward would be more effective if you actually want to participate in the killing.
3. Rolling a bow druid/amazon? Sorry I hate MXL necromancers.

Widowmaker and fragmentation shot are awesome skills as well as buckshot. I would use all three in different situations. Get Embalming maxed for survivability and some Talon's hold for slow target. 1 point graveyard for some free damage.

Edit:
Me wrote:Don't max Lamia's because you are not a summon necro and will not have the required gears to make them viable. A 1 point Void Archon does wonders and the only summon you really need.

I forgot about summon shadows for moar lifez.

Sexen
Howling Spirit

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by RollsRoyce on Sun Dec 15, 2013 6:22 pm

oh i didnt read the first question - no it doesnt have any ND

RollsRoyce
The Smith

롤스로이스 ☆☆☆☆
TGBest Transferred

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by buffaloburger on Sun Dec 15, 2013 6:27 pm

Wow that was a fast response! Should prove useful to me in the immediate future. Thanks guys, makes me even more excited for this character.

buffaloburger
Que-Hegan

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by The Big Ouchy on Sun Dec 15, 2013 6:30 pm

1. I don't believe buckshot has ND and using it leads me to believe that as well. If it does then it is very low ND.
2. Crushing blow is 12.5% for missile based attacks (which buckshot is).
7. Soft skill points do nothing else for buckshot.
8. Buckshot is affected (effected?) by IAS. 120% IAS from items will give you the quickest animation (9 frames). Skill IAS factors in differently so check the speed calc for more info. http://www.medianxl.com/t55-speed-calculator-in-java

In general for buckshot necros, the damage potential is tremendous and you will quickly reach excessive damage. Unless relying on a kill proc to increase killspeed (like shower of rocks on kill) then you will quickly realize that higher amounts of damage are totally unnecessary. A number of builds work but I've used something like this in the past: Skillplan Buckshot (Necromancer, 2012 v005)

Since bane lets you break physical immunities dragonfire oil is largely unnecessary. 1 point void archon is kept alive most of the time for his aura and as a bane/bend the shadows target. Don't forget to use burning veil liberally for the sizeable enhanced weapon damage buff.

Like I said though a number of setups work great and this one is by no means the most efficient for killspeed. The best would involve maximizing damage through use of dragonfire oil by taking away from survivability skills and using large aoe procs to give you more of a damage spread. Buckshot will still work otherwise but picking off enemies with frag shot can sometimes be annoying.

The Big Ouchy
Bear Shaman

More brilliant than Chuck Noris!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by MUS01 on Sun Dec 15, 2013 6:32 pm

Farm the SSSU x bow, with RC as oskill.... Then, your cha will be a mosnter using BS, RC VK and having avoid and def of DW....

MUS01
Burning Dead

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by buffaloburger on Sun Dec 15, 2013 6:40 pm

Good stuff for me to think about Big Ouchy. Bane route sounds easier to make work initially by providing a more consistent leech source. Looking forward to playing around with stuff.

Rathma Chosen Oskill! That sounds like a toy I want.

buffaloburger
Que-Hegan

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by buffaloburger on Sun Dec 15, 2013 7:14 pm

Another question came up. How is chance for uninterruptable attack defined? Does it apply to Buckshot? Does it apply to a more traditional spell?

Is it an option to break out of stunlocks assuming the mobs are in reach?

buffaloburger
Que-Hegan

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sexen on Sun Dec 15, 2013 7:21 pm

It applies to all attacks. 100% is all that is needed. It does what it imply's, makes your attacks uninterruptible. If you are in FHR, FBR, stun animation it wont stop it, only that if you are already attacking the aformentioned animations will not trigger.

Sexen
Howling Spirit

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum