Diablo 2: Problems and Solutions

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Diablo 2: Problems and Solutions

Post by Aspirine101 on Thu Dec 19, 2013 3:34 pm

Well, this will be my first "informative" topic. This is a list of all currently known technical or non technical problems in d2, plugins for d2, battle.net/tsw and ultimative.
"Why are you doing that" -Says the curious man.
To attempt finding every single problem and solve it, I do reply.
Lets get started!

Diablo II

1. I just installed this, and my game has extremely low FPS, ~2 FPS outside of town!
Answer: Install Glide installation instructions are included.
EDIT (thanks Quirinus): glide won't work well on every computer, so it's not a solution in every case.

Also, when you have fps problems while playing in windowed mode in vista or win 7, disabling aero helps a lot iirc (especially if you're trying to record/stream stuff; can't be disabled in win8, but they don't have the fps problem I think). the easiest way to do it is to right click the shortcut to diablo 2 and turn on "Disable Desktop Composition" and it will automatically disable aero every time you run d2 and enable it after you turn it off.

EDIT2 (thanks kambala): Disable Desktop Composition and XP compatibility are a must on Vista and higher.

2. Something is wrong! D2 loads saves that i've deleted long ago and doesn't load saves that are in the save folder!
Well, there are two solutions, 1 is simple, the other is not, but you better go with the other solution. I'll explain:
I will start with the harder one (which is really simple.)
Right click your d2 folder and uncheck read-only, after that check if ALL the files, especially the save files of your characters have read-only unchecked (folders won't have this unchecked but don't worry, it's suppoused to be like that) if the save files don't have read-only, right click on save folder and uncheck it, or select all your save files and uncheck it. If it spills an error or something stating that you can't do it, right click the d2 folder again, go to security tab, click the button saying "change" then click "users" and then tick "full access" at the bottom. Then click apply, ok and then ok again.
If you can't do that either, try moving your d2 folder into a different folder like C/games or smth.
The other solution is just run as administrator, but if you use more than one copy of d2 you might fuck up something. Furthermore, you won't have the ability to mod, because the d2 exe doesn't read  the -direct -txt if ran with administrator.
3. My game won't start at all!
Answer: Run VidTest in your Diablo II folder
4. My video test won't run!
Answer: Run in compatibility mode (windows xp service pack 3)
5. http://www.medianxl.com/t3585-diablo-2-problems
No idea, if it's solved i'll post.
Well this is it about the d2 section, other questions are not fitting it.

PlugY
1. I get a "checking library memory check failed" error!
Two solutions, either you have installed the wrong version (probably v1.13d)
If you installed the wrong version be sure to install 1.13c, or 1.12 if you use multiRES (SP only)
If it's not the wrong version case, reboot the computer (some users may also get this error just out of nowhere, in a one shiny day. Again, just reboot and it fixes it.)
2. I can't click battle.net!
Go to PlugY.ini in your d2 folder, find [GENERAL] then find
DisableBattleNet=
and set it to 0 so it will look like
DisableBattleNet=0

TSW
1. HoW dO i InStAlL tSw?! o.O
*sigh* http://tsw.vn.cz/how-to-join/
2. I can't click battle.net!
Go to PlugY.ini in your d2 folder, find [GENERAL] then find
DisableBattleNet=
and set it to 0 so it will look like
DisableBattleNet=0

EXTRA:
How do I mule properly?
1. Install PlugY
2. Do the same as step 2 BUT, in plugy.ini find [EXTRA] and then
ActiveLaunchAnyNumberOfLOD=
And set it to 1
3. Launch the game using PlugY.exe
4. Enter TSW, enter your account and select a character you wish to use for muling. Create a game, then press the windows button or alt-tab.
5. Launch ANOTHER instance of PlugY.exe, enter the same account or a different one if you wish, and select another character. !!!!IMPORTANT!!! Do NOT select the character you selected in step 4 again!
6. Go and trade stuff.
Simple, safe, guaranteed. Best way, right? Ofc it is. And it is legal, marco said up to two characters multilogging is allowed

D2SE
1. I can't start any mod with D2SE!!!
Well, there is a disk icon in d2se, which is colored in either green or red. Yours is probably red. Go to d2se folder, then to the folder named X_optional_X
copy all the files from there and put inside your d2 folder.
IF it didn't work run in compatibility mode of Windows XP service pack 3 (right click d2se.exe, then compatbility tab, and set it there.

Ultimative
1. How do I install ultimative, or just MXL?
Click "Home" on this website, then go to the very bottom of the forum, and look at the bottom right side. There are a few versions there:
003, 2012, Ultimative.
Clicking ultimative will give you the very last version that you can play tsw with.
Clicking 2012 will give you the very latest cMXL version (the original, which isn't modified by marco's nefarius intentions Very Happy)
Clicking 003 will give you the latest original MXL version, before the 2012 patch which overhauled the difficulty and leveling, as well as changing and adding mobs and random stuff.
Ultimative V7 (TSW only items enabled in single player) is avalible HERE
The other ultimative version links have been deleted, altho some users still have them. As for the other cMXL versions, you'll have to google.
2. I just leveled up to 120 and have 1 hp!
*sigh* remove the character orb from inventory.
3. I crashed in yshari sanctum in the jungle level!
This is a crash involving demon lords... Marco said he fixed it but apparently people still get the crash (I confirm)

That's it for now! If you find anything else, post here, I might've forgotten about it or just didn't know. Please note that all those solutions are correct, as they were tested on my personal experience. If they don't work, please post here and we can try to figure something out.
Lastly, it would be an honor to me if you (an admin or marco) can put it inside the tools&information section.

Last edited by aspirine101 on Fri Dec 20, 2013 4:43 pm; edited 3 times in total

Aspirine101
Lord Primus

Islamic B&D Princess
TGGood None

View user profile http://lmgtfy.com/?q=median+xl.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Diablo 2: Problems and Solutions

Post by grimjerk on Thu Dec 19, 2013 3:42 pm

Excellent post, you high posting lesbimale you. Casts cookify.

grimjerk
Prince Albrecht

Grumpy Uncle Grimjerk knows best!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Aspirine101 on Thu Dec 19, 2013 3:49 pm

Thanks! Glad you liked it Smile

Aspirine101
Lord Primus

Islamic B&D Princess
TGGood None

Back to top Go down

Post by wojen616 on Thu Dec 19, 2013 4:07 pm

Good job, cook'd

wojen616
Landmass

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Quirinus on Fri Dec 20, 2013 3:43 pm

Thanks for doing this! Smile

glide won't work well on every computer, so it's not a solution in every case. you should mention that

also, when you have fps problems while playing in windowed mode in vista or win 7, disabling aero helps a lot iirc (especially if you're trying to record/stream stuff; can't be disabled in win8, but they don't have the fps problem I think). the easiest way to do it is to right click the shortcut to diablo 2 and turn on "Disable Desktop Composition" and it will automatically disable aero every time you run d2 and enable it after you turn it off.

Quirinus
Creature of Flame

Bloody High Five
TGGood none

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Aspirine101 on Fri Dec 20, 2013 3:55 pm

Well when I had fps problems it was due to my video card being "too new" so glide fixed it. Only new computers "should" theoretically have fps problems, or super-old computer, but I don't even think people still play them. I will add your words, thank you Smile

Aspirine101
Lord Primus

Islamic B&D Princess
TGGood None

Back to top Go down

Post by kambala on Fri Dec 20, 2013 3:58 pm

Disable Desktop Composition and XP compatibility are a must on Vista and higher

kambala
Follower of Akarat

View user profile http://worldofplayers.ru/forums/769/