Hitting a rather critical wall in advancement.

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Hitting a rather critical wall in advancement.

Post by l_Caxius_l on Mon Dec 30, 2013 12:23 pm

I've been with the MXL fan-base for some time now (pretty much following the collapse of the old mod Ancestral Recall (for those who remember it)). Migrating from that mod to this one was one of the most difficult trials in my Diablo "career" due to the ease of progression that was allowed in AR. Getting to the point here:

Following guides, as well as tweaking them on my own along the way, I run through Hatred /players 8 without any problems by maxing resistances and stacking up my DR above 20% (usually) along with tri-ele damage and -eer%. Act 1&2 Terror are a breeze so long as I use the same methods with Honorifics and TU's 5&6. If I can't get what I absolutely need I farm Hatred Kurast 3K and Cow Level with 300+ MF% for uniques to disenchant for upgrading what I have until I find something better.

Act 3 is where I hit a HUGE wall in my survivability. Tree of Life, Obsidian Knights, Monkey Kings absolutely tear me apart (Dying about 4-5 times to take down a 5 mob group). Alone I can handle them fine, but in combination with other mob groups, it starts to become close to impossible versus the normal "frustrating" that MXL has presented me.

Classes I have tried:

Bowzon: By far my favorite due to the kiting ability and sustainability if I stack LL% and LoH. Barrage, Wyrmshot are my staple skills along with the passives. I rarely use Ecstatic Frenzy due to the lack of defense. Defense above 12k, health at 6k and damage (on Wyrmshot) at 18kmin-32kmax, Barrage at 33kmin-64kmax. Wonderful clearing ability but she's just unable to progress beyond mid Act3.

Wyrdsin/Mortred: Same as above, with adjusted stats for minion life, damage and resistance % upped. Unable to progress beyond early/mid Act 3 without a TU Naginata/Claws for Batstrike. Even then, cannot even progress into Tristram to get the WP.

Paladin: By far the most successful I have tried thus far. I've tried many different builds and the variants thereof. Mainly using Hammerstrike as the main attack with TONS of LL, along with LoS for the Macabre and VoJ AOE's makes using potions pretty much an obsolete option. DR% decent, resists at 75, defense sitting at 19k. Everything is fine so long as I am actively smacking baddies around. Getting to them is the problem. If I don't close the distance fast enough, or I get caught in a huge mob, I get massacred. Made it to Mephy with him, only to get one shotted multiple times, forcing me to return to the forums for resources to research. All for naught, as I'm unable to progress, even after adjustments are made.

Barb: Ditto. Perhaps even worse than the Assasin builds I've used/made.

Sorc/Druid/Necro: Laughably the weakest builds I've played. Barely make it beyond the Arcane Sanctuary in Act 2.

*NOTE*
This is by no means an attempt to discredit the abilities of the guides/classes of the individuals that created them. This is only a reference to the difficulties I am having.

So you see, there is a critical wall that I am hitting somewhere in Act 3 Terror that makes it near impossible for me to progress beyond. /Players 8 is the main issue (I understand), but lowering it causes the same issues, just later on in the game. So I'd rather find the issue while I am mid way through /players 8 Terror before I run into the same problem at /players 1 ( I hit the same wall in Act 2 Destruction on /players 1, just to clarify).

If someone can help me identify this proverbial wall, and how to overcome it, I would be greatly appreciative.

l_Caxius_l
Balrog

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Hitting a rather critical wall in advancement.

Post by Metalistas on Mon Dec 30, 2013 12:36 pm

/Players 8 is the main issue (I understand), but lowering it causes the same issues, just later on in the game.

I think you are right. However later on in game (destruction) you get additional charms and it makes your life easier. Plus sets, SU and so on. There is no reason to do p8 terror, unless you done binding baal and want to level up faster. I usually hit 120 level at terror act4 or even act3 endish.
As for specific builds:
Barb - bear stance + rune master + shower of rock
Sorc - fire/cold - abyss/fireshoot combo
Druid - elemental + plague + max summons

Metalistas
Goliath

TGBest Transferred

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by iwansquall on Mon Dec 30, 2013 12:44 pm

Act 1 = super easy without needing gear-check
Act 2 = need some gear, but counter-able with playing skill
Act 3++ = really need the gear even with the playing skill

general tips:
1. Defensive stat (resist, def, DR) + FRW
2. Meat shield (merc or lol summon)
3. Play defensively, progress slowly, clear that group bit by bit.
4. Twink full-set / TU6 from other char / players and clear all medianXL ezypzy while singing trololol song.

Act 3 generally where I always try to rush, but failed miserably of some powerful elite (onyx knight and marble frog usually). So faster movement speed really help a lot to run faster / away from them.

iwansquall
Blood Golem

Underpowered Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by RollsRoyce on Mon Dec 30, 2013 12:46 pm

@iwansquall wrote:

Act 3 generally where I always try to rush, but failed miserably of some powerful elite (onyx knight and marble frog usually). So faster movement speed really help a lot to run faster / away from them.

love this Very Happy ... i am doing the same but usually die in lower kurast

RollsRoyce
The Smith

롤스로이스 ☆☆☆☆
TGBest Transferred

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by l_Caxius_l on Mon Dec 30, 2013 12:59 pm

Thanks for the quick replies gentlemen.

@Metalistas wrote: There is no reason to do p8 terror...

I'm starting to see that.

@iwansquall wrote: Act 3 generally where I always try to rush, but failed miserably of some powerful elite (onyx knight and marble frog usually).

I'm glad to see I'm not the only one that had run into this problem then. I think my main issue is that I'm so used to the difficulty that it almost seems like cheating if I lower the /players value. I was also avoiding dloading PlugY, but I see now that (using my farmgirl Bowzon) supplying a shared stash with TU's and such can mean the difference between success and failure.

Slow is smooth, smooth is fast, I take it.

l_Caxius_l
Balrog

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by RollsRoyce on Mon Dec 30, 2013 1:05 pm

what lvl are your chars at ?

RollsRoyce
The Smith

롤스로이스 ☆☆☆☆
TGBest Transferred

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by l_Caxius_l on Mon Dec 30, 2013 1:10 pm

Zon is at 101, Pally at 107.

l_Caxius_l
Balrog

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by RollsRoyce on Mon Dec 30, 2013 1:12 pm

and you have already found some runes like Nih/ On and thelike ?

RollsRoyce
The Smith

롤스로이스 ☆☆☆☆
TGBest Transferred

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Str0b3l on Mon Dec 30, 2013 1:14 pm

bowzon:
since u are not playing hc bowzon allows offensive option
Ecstatic Frenzy, Dragonlore, and than Barrage + Wyrmshot
get alot lifeleach --> enough getting 15 apples on character orb --> 30 LL
u will be glass cannon, run and shoot, as long as u have dmg u dont need focus on def since u have 0 anyway, Barrage remains a while after casting --> casting running --> casting running
-> killing and healing
u will die but if u get used to avoid attacks farming bigger groups becomes cake

Assasin:
i think assasin is hard to play if ur not used to it
easiest build for assasin in my opinion: ATMG
get a llvl 50-60 rare sin shield and reroll it till u get ATMG proc, will take a while depending on luck
atmg strikes 12,5 sec ---> get a claw and put a OHM in --> 25% hammer on striking-> MACHINEGUN

Barb has some options:
Fortress Barb, thats what im playing atm on realm HC
build is not bad and is capable of doing some things
tantrum barb is also good but requires alot crafting

Sorc:
Poison/Ice sorc is pretty good for getting through acts
invest some points in Ice elementals they are good tanks
main skill Lorenardo and for poison immunes abyss, hard to aim but dmg is incredible

Druid:
2 very strong builds
Traprat, has dmg block and life, quillstorm --> get a low lvl dagger and orb with max dmg orbs
Elemental, invest some points in summons and poison flash --> additional life for meatshields
main skills Banshee + elementals

Necro:
also 2 very strong builds
Xbow Necro, voodoo shot is pretty awesome skill, alot aoe and single dmg
also pretty save due to having summons around that are needed for skill
totemancer: iceclaw/light totem + alot shadows --> summ shadow and use teleport skill on shadow
u dont even need to walk anymore totems deal alot dmg and minions tank for you

all together:
if u are struggling with money:
-do LC0 and sell the apples, keep the statue
- collect all runes u find, bus socket knifes/axes from akara/drognan etc and put the runes in and sell --> overpriced

Mercs are always useful:
most of time i use Exemplar Act 2 give him a weap and some cheap ress items see below item
he tanks and his retaliate knocks enemys away
If u dont need a tank, take a A1 merc and give him a Sol bow, pretty funny support punisher

Honorific items:
i use them rly often, especially as ress abuse, i take one honorifc and orb it full with ress
than i can focus on everything else with other items
or early game as weapon to, than i can avoid getting expensive weapon
i take lvl 0 weap --> honorific --> orb it with max dmg --> +20 dmg each

Items:
early game i always use the same items they are pretty useful for benning and make life easire:
Ith Boots: % Max Life
Eth Belt: Ress
Caster: Nef Staff, Ress + 1 Skill Blink
Fighter: Giftbox/honor
Armor: Giftbox, Ith
Gloves : Honorific ress most of time
Helm: hm dont like the most early game helms :/

Str0b3l
The Butcher

TGBest Transferred

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by iwansquall on Mon Dec 30, 2013 1:15 pm

Post your character screen and gear list.

I think other people can give ideas / help you better that way.
Usually I start stomp-rolling after getting uberskill, all 3 LC charm, class charm.

Cant understand why you having so much problem, other than you using players 8 setting or your gears are too weak.

iwansquall
Blood Golem

Underpowered Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum