UH Paladin caster, what's the standard build?

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

UH Paladin caster, what's the standard build?

Post by Kato on Tue Dec 31, 2013 2:58 pm

I originally posted this in the thread for the guide here http://www.medianxl.com/t954-v6d-wng-din-the-unholy-caster but it seems the thread's gone a bit dead so I'm hoping this forum may be more active. The UH caster thread is for an oskill build that's no longer viable since LW oskill was nerfed so I'm looking to check that I've understood correctly how the standard build would work, using Mind Flay (MF) / Slayer.

So I've done the challenges/mini-games etc and hit level 120. For skill placement I started with:

sMax MF, StormLord, Tainted Blood, SuperBeast
20 points Slayer (always in multiples of 10 points for next laser beam, or sMax?)
Lots in Blessed Life (I'm sMaxed and still only at 30% DR, though the guide said to stop at 50% DR!)
1 point in Divine Apparition and SoD

That left 14 points, so I put 1 in each of the Neutral tree as utility skills and because I've found Scourge summons very useful.

The other 9 I guess I choose between upping the power of VoJ, SoD or Rapture.

So far I've been using VoJ until I got BL unlocked, but I am very tempted by SoD, the problem is...  I don't understand the skill's mechanics & I can't see anything that says what's the range of SoD? The skill description itself doesn't say the range, either in the docs or the in-game wording - the way it's described it does sound like an AoE skill, but the discussion in the oskill thread suggests that it chooses one target at a time.

I'm also wondering if I should smax StormLord at this stage or if those points would be better in SoD or VoJ.
Should Slayer be sMaxed or go up in groups of 10 points for the extra beam?

In the discussion rollsroyce said he got to 5 laser beams? I can't understand how, it seems to need 30 points in Slayer and smax for me is 23 at level 120?!
Apologies if that's a nooby question and I'm missing something obvious to do with late game charms etc, I just haven't got there yet.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Kato on Tue Dec 31, 2013 5:57 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : fixed typo)

Kato
Core Lord

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: UH Paladin caster, what's the standard build?

Post by grimjerk on Tue Dec 31, 2013 3:08 pm

I am kind of meh about sMaxing Tainted Blood.
SMax Slayer if you plan on using it a lot.
Blessed Life advise is based on your gear DR%. So if you have 30% DR on gear then stop Blessed Life at 20%, etc.

grimjerk
Prince Albrecht

Grumpy Uncle Grimjerk knows best!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by sefjor on Tue Dec 31, 2013 3:59 pm

There is many sources of +max skill lvls u didn't have now. So I'd smax tainted for def and leftover in scourges. But as u will get more + skills and stats u will need to get some points to keep your skills maxed. So you will take points out of stormlord and tainted, as you won't need them so much.

sefjor
Sasquatch

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by RollsRoyce on Tue Dec 31, 2013 4:01 pm

i prefer keeping slayer at 20 i think never needed the 5th beam

RollsRoyce
The Smith

롤스로이스 ☆☆☆☆
TGBest Transferred

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by sefjor on Tue Dec 31, 2013 4:04 pm

@RollsRoyce wrote:i prefer keeping slayer at 20 i think never needed the 5th beam
This, mostly because mindflay got nextdelay so there is no reason to hit monster with several beams at once.
Btw if my calculations are correct, you should miss 2 minigames +maxskills, start with them.

sefjor
Sasquatch

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Kato on Tue Dec 31, 2013 5:02 pm

@sefjor wrote:This, mostly because mindflay got nextdelay so there is no reason to hit monster with several beams at once.
Btw if my calculations are correct, you should miss 2 minigames +maxskills, start with them.
That's strange, I've done all 3 minigames and the charm shows +4 to Max Skills. Are you taking account of Slayer being at the 4th level down the tree (so sMax is < for skills nearer the top)?

Bad news to hear that MF got NextDelay that's a bummer. Has it been nerfed to the point where this is no longer a powerful character in late game?
I noticed that it's one of those skills where the beams spread apart based on how close your mouse pointer is to the character so I can get the beams to hit different monsters - if I can even see the pointer with all that's going on! So maybe it's useful for simultaneously hitting many things rather than applying extra to one thing (so not so good for single target situations such as bosses then).

Good point re taking out points from TB/SL as I get more powerful.

Kato
Core Lord

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Kato on Tue Dec 31, 2013 5:07 pm

Thanks for the useful replies so far.

I'd be very interested in any thoughts on the VoJ/SoD/Rapture debate (and now the Scourge skill is a possibility as well). Since nobody's suggested that I shouldn't have 1 point in all the Neutral tree skills it seems that I will have all 4 skills, it's just a question of which is best to put extra points into (or perhaps one should be sMaxed over TB/SL?).

My thoughts so far:

(1) I find Rapture a pain to keep up at 30 secs duration and the high run speed is difficult to manage. So it seems situational.
(2) Extras in Scourge... possible, but wouldn't I need +minion resistances% MOs to make them really viable? (Is there room for those MOs on gear with -ELR% etc already needed?)
(3) VoJ/SoD... well they both run all the time and ... do stuff. So it's hard to tell which of them is being effective in any fight. Does anyone know if SoD is aoe or single target? Or its range?

Kato
Core Lord

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Frostbite on Tue Dec 31, 2013 5:30 pm

@Kato wrote:Thanks for the useful replies so far.

I'd be very interested in any thoughts on the VoJ/SoD/Rapture debate (and now the Scourge skill is a possibility as well). Since nobody's suggested that I shouldn't have 1 point in all the Neutral tree skills it seems that I will have all 4 skills, it's just a question of which is best to put extra points into (or perhaps one should be sMaxed over TB/SL?).

My thoughts so far:

(1) I find Rapture a pain to keep up at 30 secs duration and the high run speed is difficult to manage. So it seems situational.
(2) Extras in Scourge... possible, but wouldn't I need +minion resistances% MOs to make them really viable? (Is there room for those MOs on gear with -ELR% etc already needed?)
(3) VoJ/SoD... well they both run all the time and ... do stuff. So it's hard to tell which of them is being effective in any fight. Does anyone know if SoD is aoe or single target? Or its range?

You should put a few points into Rapture, so that you're comfortable with the duration (90 seconds is okay for me). Scourge are only useful as cannon fodder and they get some free life from points into the unholy tree, so one point is enough there. SoD is a good single target skill, but I prefer to leave it at one point. VoJ is more useful, but with MF and Slayer, you'll probably kill most things before they even get that close.

I'd recommend to stick to your original skill plan with 20 points into Slayer and only put leftovers in TB once you get higher max skill level.

Frostbite
Jungle Hunter

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Kato on Tue Dec 31, 2013 6:37 pm

Thanks that's very useful.

Good to know that SoD is single target, I'll go back to VoJ I think.

Also I wasn't aware that Rapture duration got longer with points - the skill description is written with the duration outside of the current level/next level stats which suggests that it won't change.

So it seems that I should pull some points from TB (how much TB is enough?) and put them, along with the extra 9, into VoJ and Rapture. I already feel fast enough on cast speed in SB form though so I still have doubts about Rapture. I don't really want the extra run speed most of the time.

I could pull some points from SL but I think I still have some attribute points in Str to wear gear so perhaps that's not a good idea at this stage.

Kato
Core Lord

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by sefjor on Tue Dec 31, 2013 7:07 pm

@Kato wrote:
That's strange, I've done all 3 minigames and the charm shows +4 to Max Skills. Are you taking account of Slayer being at the 4th level down the tree (so sMax is < for skills nearer the top)?
My fault yeah.
@Kato wrote:
Bad news to hear that MF got NextDelay that's a bummer. Has it been nerfed to the point where this is no longer a powerful character in late game?
Got 36-40 k MF with not the best gear and ~-150res. 2 shotted astorgha etc. It's definitely good spell, especialy counting 4 frames cast.
@Kato wrote: I find Rapture a pain to keep up at 30 secs duration and the high run speed is difficult to manage. So it seems situational.
Yeah it was hard as hell at first and now i finding that speed rly comfortable. Runspeed is one of the best def stats in ultimative imo. I have 90 sec base and casting it from swap with nih runes.
@Kato wrote:Extras in Scourge... possible, but wouldn't I need +minion resistances% MOs to make them really viable?
Honestly i'm relying on fast recasting full army.

And about VoJ vs Tb: at this stage i'd put every points into tb, you need all extra def you can get

sefjor
Sasquatch

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum