Smaug: The Dragon/Summor/Melee Paladin

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Smaug: The Dragon/Summor/Melee Paladin

Post by l_Caxius_l on Tue Dec 31, 2013 7:23 pm

Smaug
A Holy Paladin caster emphasizing in Dragon Form and reanimates/summons.
by l_Caxius_l

Updated 06JAN2014

General Info

Character Orb

Just a few thoughts about this gem of a masterpiece in the game. Personally, I do not use it as it becomes absolutely useless at level 120. If you learn to play without it, I believe you will be better off than even having played with it at all. But, there are those so addicted to the idea of someone holding their hand through the game that I will do a quick review of what you will want playing this build:

Topaz: Gives %1 Energy per gem
Diamond: Gives %1 Strength per gem (See Lionheart)
Oil of Jewelcraft: +15 Mana After Kill per Oil
Oil of Absolution: %1 Life per Oil (Life is always nice to have)
Ith Rune: %5 Total Character Defense per Rune.

There are many more items you can cube your Character Orb with that will be beneficial, but I chose to suggest the ones that will have the least impact on you once you lose it at level 120. You don't want to invest so much into something that you become completely reliant on it, inadvertently dooming yourself in the end.

Early/Mid Skill Placement, Gear and Tactics 0-90

Neutral/Special

VoJ- 1
Rapture- 16 (Lmax)
Light and Shadow- 1
Sacred Armor- 1
Sacred Scourge- 13 (Lmax)

Light/Honor

Retaliate- 7
Dragon Oath- 17 (Lmax)
Dragonshout- 16 (Lmax)
Burnout- 15 (Lmax)
Demonrend- 14 (Lmax)
Deva King- 0

Early in the game you mainly rely on Dragon Form and it's subsequent skillsets. Cast Rapture whenever the buff disappears. To avoid getting caught in a battle with your pants down, cast Dragon Form while out of combat and run through the Ground Fire to allow yourself to constantly remain in DF. Should you catch yourself in combat by surprise (which happens a lot more than one would think), just cast DF and carry on that way. Your Merc/Summons should allow you enough time to do so without any problems. In combat, cast Demonrend then Dragon Shout. 2 reasons for this:
1. Demonrend then Dragon Shout: Stuns/KB enemies while damaging quite heavily.
2. Stun provides your Merc/Summons the opportunity to hack away while taking minimal damage.

Continuing on after DS, cast Burnout to maximize the damage done. Retaliate is there in case you need those pesky little fast guys to back the hell up.

Your bosses require quite an adjustment in your tactics, however. You really shouldn't have a problem with any of them until about mid Terror, so I'll explain tactics/strategies a little bit later.

Mid/Late Skill Placement, Gear and Tactics 90-120

Neutral/Special

VoJ- 1
Rapture- 20
Light and Shadow- 1
Sacred Armor- 1
Sacred Scourge- 13

Light/Honor

Retaliate- 1
Hammerstrike- 20
Retribute- 1
Lionheart- 9
Dragon Oath- 15
Dragon Shout- 15
Burnout- 15
Demonrend- 19 (Smax)
Deva King- 0

Mid/Late Terror (depending on which /players value you've been playing at) is when you want to do your skillset switch. The gameplay is virtually the same, save two changes in your melee capabilities:

Hammerstrike and Lionheart.

This change gives you a better advantage at handling single elites/bosses more efficiently than what we had before. I know..I know. "But how am I going to stay in Dragon Form if my velocity is decreased from Lionheart?". I too ran into this problem and tried my best to solve it in such a way that you wouldn't have to worry about Dragon Form. You see, late game bosses become a pain in the backside when you're a pure caster because of the distance they close on you. When you're worrying about being in DF all the time, your fights become quite long and arduous, making the battle almost not even worth the effort. So what do you do? Grind it out without DF. When you're fighting, stay back until your summons have caught the attention of the boss, then sneak around and hit 'em while they are focused on your summons/merc. Your gear will greatly determine the efficiency of this tactic, so be sure to prepare yourself before entering a battle you know you're going to have a hard time with. Until I have found a better way to go about this, this is the best way I have been able to handle them.

Stat Placement
Strength:Enough for Gear (remember to buff it up a bit late game. Lionheart's Vitality boost relies on 25% of your base strength value. Don't be stingy!)
Dex:0
Vita:0 (Lionheart/gear will take care of this)
Energy: The rest

Early/Mid Gear

Weapon: TU The Angiris Spike (Tepoztopilli): +EFSD, +Pally skills, %FS Damage, %Slow, Daystar reanimate
Body Armor: TU Dragon's Blood (Light Plate): CR%, %FS Damage, %Phys/Mag SD, +Vit, +Life after Demon Kill
Helm: TU Skull Lord (Blackguard Helm): +EF/SD, %CR, %Phys/Mag SD, KoF Reanimate
Belt: TU Aerin Orbiter (Belt): %CR, %FS Damage, +Energy, %Resists
Boots: TU Wake of Destruction (Greaves): %EF, %FS Damage, %F&P Resists
Alternative: Honorific boots w/ resists, summons resists, summons damage, summons life.
Gloves: TU Pollice Verso (Guantlets): +Strength, +Mana after Kill, +Life after kill
Rings: Empyrean Band X2: %all attributes, %Life and Mana
Amulet: Low Level magic/rare : Orb with resists, summons resists, life and damage.

Socket Fillers

Jewels:
Katamari: %summons life, damage, resists. +life after kill.
Demonstone Blood: %Life

Weapon Gems/Runes:
Perfect Bloodstone X2: %Summons Life
Perfect Onyx: %Summons Damage
P Ruby or P Topaz: +life after kill or +EFSD

Armor Gems/Runes:
Perfect Ruby: %to vitality
Perfect Topaz: %to Energy
Ral&Um: %FS Damage, %to Energy

As you can see, this isn't the strongest you want to be if you wish to have knuckle down fights. This is essentially going to make you a glass cannon or sorts, though your survivability isn't as poor as other caster classes. Later gear is where you're going to increase your survivability greatly, essentially making you a Fighter Mage, if you will.

Late Gear

Weapon: The Angiris Star (Angel Star): TS on strike, TN on kill, +pally skills, block increas, %Strength, %Vita
Shield: Sacred Shield RW Kodo (Ath): +Skills, %BR, %Strength, %Vita, %Total D. Orb rest with summons life, resists, damage.
Body Armor: Goetia Plate (Gothic Plate): +Skills, HUGE %summons life/damage. +life. +1k Life regen
Alternative: Sacred Body Armor w/ RW Erawan (Nih): %Strength, %Vita, %Damage redux, %Total D
Helm: Hivemind (Blackguard Helm): +Skills, -Enemy F/C/P resist, +Summon Darklings, +Summons Damage/Life
Belt: Champion of the Triune (Plated Belt): +Skills, %Run/Walk, %All attributes, %Resists, %Malic reanimate (if you're lucky), %D Redux
Boots: Pally Set-Malthael's Stride (Chain Boots): +Skills, %Run/Walk, %FS Damage, %Summons life
Alternative: Sacred Boots w/ RW Hibagon (Qor): +Skills, %Resists, %Reanimate Bronze Titan, Gold Titan and Silver Titan
Gloves: Conqueror's Mercy (Chain Gloves): +Skills, %Run/Walk, %Resists, Flat Damage Redux.
Rings: Der Nebelring x2: %Summons Life and Damage, +Defense, +Life, %Damage Redux, Life after Kill
Amulet: Beads of the Snake Queen: Stun Attack, %Strength, Life After Kill

Socket Fillers

Jewels:
Dragon's Egg: %Minion Damage, Resistances.
KeKeKe: %Run/Walk, %Summons AR, Life.
Katamari: %summons life, damage, resists. +life after kill.
Demonstone Blood: %Life

Weapon Gems/Runes:
Perfect Rainbow X2: %10 Crushing Blow

Shield Gems/Runes
Zod X3: %15 Slows Attackers

Armor Gems/Runes:
Perfect Diamonds %Strength
Perfect Ruby: %to vitality
Perfect Topaz: %to Energy
Ral&Um: %FS Damage, %to Energy

Uberquests, Summoning, Dungeons, Uberlevels, Heroic Levels

WIP

Will update a little later with Mercs, Strategies, Level Guide/Walkthrough and much more.

This guide is still a WIP. I will update it in a few more days as I adjust a few things as well as test out different gear possibilities.
Any questions, comment or concerns are welcome!

Last edited by l_Caxius_l on Mon Jan 06, 2014 7:37 pm; edited 10 times in total

l_Caxius_l
Balrog

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Smaug: The Dragon/Summor/Melee Paladin

Post by MarcoNecroX on Tue Dec 31, 2013 7:45 pm

not bad

I personally don't feel VoJ is that good if you don't actually make a build around it.
specially considering holy doesn't even more targets - and you definetly don't need magic damage.

i would swap those 2 skills for max rapture & demonrend

MarcoNecroX
Malthael

Führer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by l_Caxius_l on Tue Dec 31, 2013 7:53 pm

@MarcoNecroX wrote: I personally don't feel VoJ is that good if you don't actually make a build around it.

I agree. I've just always been such a fan of the AoE's that it was hard to let them go Smile. I'll try definitely try this out.

@MarcoNecroX wrote: and you definetly don't need magic damage

That's more for the Dragon Shout so that it's doing at least SOME damage.

*edit* I see what you were saying about the magic damage. NVM.

Last edited by l_Caxius_l on Tue Dec 31, 2013 8:03 pm; edited 1 time in total

l_Caxius_l
Balrog

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Gravity on Tue Dec 31, 2013 7:54 pm

@MarcoNecroX wrote:not bad

I personally don't feel VoJ is that good if you don't actually make a build around it.
specially considering holy doesn't even more targets - and you definetly don't need magic damage.

i would swap those 2 skills for max rapture & demonrend

I agree personally 1 point Voj is enough to by time, rapture increase damage output big time, demonrend is pretty good also you just cant spam it Sad

Gravity
Cabalist

TGBest 110

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by wow123400 on Tue Dec 31, 2013 8:14 pm

Yes max rapture is a must,cause you need high speed to chase the fire,if you can get the fire,there is no need for those melee skills,should put more in dragon tree

wow123400
Malthael

High Posting Cookie Monster
TGGood 100

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by l_Caxius_l on Tue Dec 31, 2013 8:25 pm

The benefits weighed out much more proficiently than I had expected after adjusting the skillsets. Amazing changes there. Thank you all for those suggestions!

l_Caxius_l
Balrog

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by TheDancingBard on Wed Jan 01, 2014 4:29 am

Dude Terror act 4 already, holy crap, crack rock helps i guess Smile

TheDancingBard
Quill Bear

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by l_Caxius_l on Wed Jan 01, 2014 5:30 am

Haha! Being deployed to Afghanistan leaves me a bit of time to play Wink

l_Caxius_l
Balrog

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by The Big Ouchy on Wed Jan 01, 2014 6:02 am

Wouldn't max rapture be kinda excessive given that the velocity bonus caps at 100% very quickly?

The Big Ouchy
Bear Shaman

More brilliant than Chuck Noris!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by grimjerk on Wed Jan 01, 2014 11:11 am

^^This. Points in Rapture till you have a duration you can live with then let plus skills do the rest.

grimjerk
Prince Albrecht

Grumpy Uncle Grimjerk knows best!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum