Need Skyrim mod suggestions

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Need Skyrim mod suggestions

Post by buffaloburger on Fri Jan 03, 2014 12:00 am

So I just bought Skyrim for PC and am looking to preemptively "fix" the game as my experience with Bethesda game's has been that they are shallow, simple, and easy. They do make an excellent base game to tailor to one's needs however  Razz 

Note that I do not have any DLC but am willing to buy one if it will make my experience.

The most important aspect of the experience I would like to have in this game is for deadly combat with multiple possible approaches to encounters. I don't want to mash LMB with a sword 50x until enough health has been removed to kill a target. I want things to die in a reasonable time INCLUDING myself. Ideally I want real progression rather than all content leveled to me. I want to be able to walk somewhere I shouldn't and get slaughtered.

I would like combat to be as skill based as is reasonable in WRPG framework. Aiming, timing, tactics, preparation, knowledge, and minimal to no ability to 'cheese' are desired characteristics.

Added content like weapons and armor and spells would be great assuming it doesn't trivialize the combat. Enemy density would be welcomed. Improved AI would be great.

So what combination of mods can I use to increase content and above all create a challenging and more 'realistic' experience?

So far I've seen a lot of talk about SkyRE and Requim. Can I attain desired effects through one of these or would avoiding high conflict potential overhauls allow me to attain a more challenging and engaging experience?

Mods I've seen of interest include: SkyRe, Requim, ERSO,ASIS, Laz's spell mods, Duel v7, ultimate combat, deadly combat, ACE, Enhanced Enemy AI.

Graphical and UI enchancements are to be worried about later. I need the gameplay to be on point before this matters. Please help as I have so many options to dig through it is overwhelming!

Right now I am planning on going with ACE+ASIS+duel v7 or deadly combat + Better magic + Apocolypse spells. Requim sounds good but limiting of options. I have no reason not to go the multi-mod route if it will be the better experience.

In oblivion I really hated the game until I tried Obscuro's Oblivion Overhaul. First few hours of research indicates there is no current equivalent.

buffaloburger
Que-Hegan

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Need Skyrim mod suggestions

Post by MRdrunk on Fri Jan 03, 2014 2:05 am

theres a mod/addon called fallskaar or something like that, its not 2 shabby of a little expansion for skyrim just be prepared to be slapped in the face nonstop with the creators ego (from documentation to the mod intro, you will see this little shits name and ego constantly) and the voice actors made me want to mute the game from time to time...
that should add 20+ hours of gameplay to your game..

.you are gonna want to get all of the mods to make the cities bigger, there are several to chose from. some of them have AI mods along with them...i personally did not d/l it but a friend told me "kill with skill" was a good one.

just go to nexus and download until your eyes bleed. not sure what patch you are using some of the best mods were never updated

p.s. if you want a good laugh, play the unpatched version of the game for a while. let your save file get to about 2-3 month old mark..things get interesting.

MRdrunk
Gloom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Aspirine101 on Fri Jan 03, 2014 6:37 am

Falskaar adds another continent, like dragonborn adds the part of morrowind. Anyway, i've made a huge list before:
http://www.medianxl.com/t2439-useful-skyrim-mods

As for combat, I wanted a mod like this too, but could never find it, and all those "hardcore" mods only forced you to attack the mob 10 times more than normal, and he could 1 shot you...

I'm not playing skyrim ATM but planning to come back very soon. You could try finding what you've wanted, try googling "skyrim combat mods" or something like that, and see the results. If you find something good please PM me. Otherwise, I might check it today.

By the way; There is a whole section in nexusmods called "Combat"
http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/searchresults/?src_cat=77
Try your luck there.

Aspirine101
Lord Primus

Islamic B&D Princess
TGGood None

View user profile http://lmgtfy.com/?q=median+xl.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Aspirine101 on Fri Jan 03, 2014 12:19 pm

Check out (google and go to the nexus link):
♠ Duel, combat realism
♠ Ultimate Combat

Aspirine101
Lord Primus

Islamic B&D Princess
TGGood None

Back to top Go down

Post by buffaloburger on Fri Jan 03, 2014 6:01 pm

Skyrim took 10 hours to download (WOOO fast for me) so I mostly poked around available mods and combat mods in particular while waiting. I got a general idea of what was available. No obvious solution came up hence this inquiry. The Nexus is immense!

Very much appreciate the help. I've got SkyRe without combat modules in favor of deadly combat + ACE + ASIS. Using better magic and apocalypse for the magic side of things. I'm hoping ACE's in game modifying of combat governing stats module will let me adjust the combat until it feels right. I'm definitely going to try flipping DUEL v7 for Deadly and maybe DUEL v5 but tune it up through ACE.

Going to use this as a starting point for some hours of gameplay to get a feel for things before I make major changes. I haven't played vanilla myself but watched my roommate and his girlfriend play enough to know the basic feel.

Your list and reproccer info is very useful. I'll be adding more content/crafting/areas/etc once I'm confident I have the difficulty and combat feel. I forgot to add in any form of improved dragons so that's an immediate addition  Mmm, Tasty

Assuming I find a nice combination for combat I'll let ya know my setup. Hoping its not one of these situations  Hitting a Wall

buffaloburger
Que-Hegan

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Aspirine101 on Fri Jan 03, 2014 7:50 pm

Alright mate hope you enjoy Smile let me know if you need anything

Aspirine101
Lord Primus

Islamic B&D Princess
TGGood None

Back to top Go down

Post by buffaloburger on Sat Jan 04, 2014 12:37 am

I tested a set of mods for around 6 hours today and feel that I have an acceptable set of combat mods for a first run through of the game. I have SkyRe without its combat modules. Using Deadly Combat + most of ACE modules for the combat base. ASIS + Better Magic + Apocolypse to improve the magic side of things. Will do 1st dragon fight without a dragon mod and then add one to compare the engagement.

I want to play an archery centered character. Encountered serious difficulties initially as arrows would do 90% damage to outright insta-kill me, yet mine did ~1/7 on not shield blocked non headshot. Used Arrow Tweaks by Kevkas to increase arrow damage across the board. This puts me at 2-4 shot kill unless I can land a headshot. That being said, even shield blocked arrows hurt me a nice amount now. I will turn down the multiplier if I feel it is needed as I progress, but 100% is nice ATM.

Also using UI to disable crosshair. Is there a way to disable the damned sneak crosshair though? or off-center it so much that it is useless for aiming purposes? I don't like being able to land the sneak attacks with their damage boost more easily than normal shots.

Melee combat feels good. Not dragged out, I can die super quickly but can also kill quickly once I bypass defenses. Makes me curious how Duel would play instead of Deadly. I am most tempted by the RPG elements added to differentiate weapons.

I do die often to cinematic melee attacks. This happens even at full health sometimes. Doesn't bother me when I took a few hits first or if its from the back, but I did get agitated when I was wailing on an archer with a greataxe from full health. The bastard cinematic killed me with his dagger and no visible strike animation. I mean the dude was in what I would call hit recovery. Saw a cinematic play and I was all, HELL YEAH GET CUT IN HALF YOU PIECE OF, when I realized I didn't regain control of my character...  I think I saw somewhere there is a way to tune the cinematic kill variables but I'm missing it now.

AI is pretty cool. I'm always being flanked and under pressure unless I really abuse the environment. Hopping over tables has won me fights for example.

Not sure if running Deadly Combat and the ACE Armor sub-module is a good idea. Its compatible and I use both; I think they both change armor and I assume the effects compound? Might be very punishing later.

Got through the Golden Claw dungeon and attacked the bandit controlled Fort Greymoor outside Whiterun. (Excuse the lack of names, will fix later) This cost my character at least 30 deaths. Most likely more  Whistling  All for the measly kill count of 27 humans and 17 undead. Everything felt responsive and fair. If I changed my approach and didn't suck, I succeeded. We'll see if it holds up as I progress and learn the game. Enjoying it immensely after the arrow damage tweak.

Another 6-10 hours of game time and I'll likely be tossing in itemization and content expanding mods. Median has spoiled me in these aspects.

Last edited by buffaloburger on Sun Jan 05, 2014 6:07 pm; edited 2 times in total

buffaloburger
Que-Hegan

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Aspirine101 on Sat Jan 04, 2014 8:32 am

Hmmm... you've said that both ace and deadly combat change armor... in what way? I'll have to check this  Thinking 
Anyway, skyre changes armor values... I think those 3 aren't compatible with eachother, but what do I know, I only use skyre out of those 3.

As for arrows, you should note yourself that your enemies are (probably) wearing heavier armor, and are higher level than you therefore more hp, more armor skill etc.

For crosshair, if there isn't a mod that disables sneak crosshair you could try making one yourself in the creation kit, but that's where i'm out of help, I have (almost) no experience with the CK.

"I can die super quickly but can also kill quickly once I bypass defenses"
That's where it sounds interesting. I have never encontered enemies than can kill me quickly and I kill them quickly. It's either I kill them quickly and they can't do shit OR they 1 shot me and I have to attack them 50 times to kill 50% of their hp (try skyre at master difficulty)

@Cinemantic, use the Dance of Death mod, you can either remove them, or set them to 100, or just your desired %, it's pretty configurable.

PS. The "first walled city" is Whiterun Very Happy

Aspirine101
Lord Primus

Islamic B&D Princess
TGGood None

Back to top Go down

Post by buffaloburger on Sat Jan 04, 2014 8:18 pm

Bingo, Dance of Death is what I need. I'll have to double check there is no existing workaround for the stealth crosshair, but that's the biggest thing hurting the gameplay right now. If it takes my own effort to make it so be it! Actually aiming with a bow in lethal combat is very enjoyable.

I did add the complete crafting overhaul along with immersive weapons and immersive armours using the Reproccer patching tool. Haven't seen a lot of the goods yet as most of the time since has been spent running for my life through a cave and climbing 7000 steps...

I am playing on Master difficulty from the start so I have not a clue how any of these interact on other difficulties. So far (level 14) the feel has maintained itself. I die easily but its not ridiculous. Everything except for a master Vampire has gone down in a couple good connections be it arrow or battleaxe. Landing headshots feels incredibly rewarding. I like having to change up the shooting angle vs shielded foes. Shooting the legs of charging targets to slow them down has been necessary too.

The master Vampire kicked my ass in truly epic retreat. Chased me through 2 and 1/2 cave areas burning through all but 3 of my arrows and 70% of my potions which I had been mostly saving from the start. Managed to pick off his cronies and revived minions as I fell back, but the bastard chased me out. I would have attempted to loop through the cave again to kill him but the retreat alone left me without adequate resources.

Of course now every person I talk to tells me I'm not looking so good Whistling 

I'll be back for that Vampire after I raise the funds for a real bow, some potions, and some better arrows.

If the gameplay feel holds up as I reach medium and high level content I'm going to be quite content with the combat setup.

So future mods to add will be Falskaar, stealth crosshair disable, something for additional monsters, and Dance of Death to tone down the cinematic side of things. Will tune the arrow damage multiplier mod as needed, but so far my bow isn't overpowered and the additional punishment on my end is welcomed.

Thanks for the help. I never thought I would enjoy an open world sandbox as much as I am.

P.S. I think that deadly combat lowers universal armor values and the DR cap. Ace I think aims to differentiate light and heavy armors in gameplay style. Not at all sure how SkyRe alters armor. These 3 might be excessive in combination, but so far its playing really nicely. I do load SkyRe before Deadly before ACE. Not sure if that has implications on their interactions. No fatal errors anyway.

Maybe Immersive HUD will take care of the sneak crosshair problem. Might be the next thing for me to try. It claims to allow disabling of sneak meter but retain crosshair. If it lets me disable both simultaneously  Very Happy 

buffaloburger
Que-Hegan

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Brother Laz on Mon Jan 13, 2014 1:58 am

Screw Apoc until Apocalypse New is out (because Mean Mode wasn't bad enough of a pun yet). Meanwhile, Kyne wants your download. Razz 

Brother Laz
Care Bear

Flying Polar Buffalo Error

View user profile http://modsbylaz.vn.cz/

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum