playing a tank in Median xl.... is it possible?

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

playing a tank in Median xl.... is it possible?

Post by PhoenixRising on Fri Jan 10, 2014 6:02 pm

hey folks, like the title said, me and a friend are playing this mod together, and we wanted to make a tank - carry team. But so far, the only tank we have found i Holy Paladin, but it dies so insanely fast its not even funny... so any suggestions?

PhoenixRising
Heretic

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: playing a tank in Median xl.... is it possible?

Post by buffaloburger on Fri Jan 10, 2014 6:17 pm

Barbarian is the only thing that fits that role. Can be VERY tanky. However this is Median XL and there do exist 1 shot kills regardless. Someone with more barb experience will have to explain the build and equipt setup. It involves lots of DR and extremely high defense. I'm certain defense in excess of 1,000,000 is possible. Tanking is best done by adapting gear to a specific situation in this game. Some areas put out far more elemental damage than physical than magical. Gearing for the current situation is the best way to tank.

Paladin and Necromancer are cabable of solid defenses. I'd place them in more of a 'bruiser' role however relative to a barbarian. Still these MOBA and MMO terms do not apply cleanly to MXL at all. With the exception of the Assassin I suppose. Most of the veterans here would classify her as a carry  Whistling 

buffaloburger
Que-Hegan

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by MarcoNecroX on Fri Jan 10, 2014 6:26 pm

knowledge makes you very tanky.... Really, if you pick no matter what char, and put incorrect gear you willl fail.

Either way. one of tankiest chars > ice+something(but poison) sorc is probably tankiest char early. with ice elementals. early gear; tu war staff, tu ancient armor, pul gloves, honorific belt, ith boots(or lionpaw if you're feeling $$), rare rings/ammy, any helm. exemplar merc

add summoner/totemnec there, for 50% hp aura, and hpregen AND spell damage. void archons debuff. gear: doesn't need any. skills: max frostclaw, deathlord form, embalming, summon shadows, max either VeilKing/rampa/varchon, leftovers in bend the shadows - priestess merc with Sol RW on a bow

MarcoNecroX
Malthael

Führer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by PhoenixRising on Fri Jan 10, 2014 7:08 pm

okay, so basically, there are no characters / build that works as a general meatshield?

in that case: Suggestion, a character / skill line in a character, that gets bonuses from max amount of armor / health, making it viable as a meatshield mainly Smile

PhoenixRising
Heretic

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by MarcoNecroX on Fri Jan 10, 2014 7:13 pm

@PhoenixRising wrote:okay, so basically, there are no characters / build that works as a general meatshield?

in that case: Suggestion, a character / skill line in a character, that gets bonuses from max amount of armor / health, making it viable as a meatshield mainly Smile

i answered both questions in the post above you Wink

MarcoNecroX
Malthael

Führer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Quirinus on Fri Jan 10, 2014 7:18 pm

barb is decent I guess.

bear stance (def+DR% to you and ally) + walk (don't run, running reduces def to 0) + spirit guide + wolves + lots of vitality (3 hp per vita) + lots of DR% (cap 50%) + thunderslam/thundergod (stun) + Ix war hammer rw (frost nova to freeze some monsters) + snake stance on switch for slow target + runemaster with lots of runes in items + maxed res 90-95% + maybe even some magic res %, poison length reduced by 175%, ... etc.

that gives a char that aoe slows/stuns/freezes/chills monsters.
5% to get hit from all the def.
50% physical damage reduction, and lots of elemental res.
tons of life to survive stuff.
aura that grants defense and DR% to allies.
wolves that doom creatures.

Quirinus
Creature of Flame

Bloody High Five
TGGood none

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by PhoenixRising on Fri Jan 10, 2014 7:24 pm

lol, i didnt see there were a phraseline under the first in your post mate, sorry! Very Happy

okay, we tried making a tank, using holy paladin: hatred; went fine, it tanked like all hell man, that shit didnt die at all! Terror: pubstomped so hard, you would not believe it! using honorific boots, max resist, tran athula charm ( we kinda forgot to cube it with a jewel, but eh).... so yeah, it went perfect early, good tankyness, insane armor, high resists, some damage through Hammerstrike ( that shit is stron?!) and when terror came, it got wrecked.....

we are gonna try with a sorc at some point instead, hopefully that will work better, so yeah, thanks for the idea Marco Smile

btw, just a quick question, and if you dont want to disclose the info then that is perfectly fine too: Will sigma have defined builds, such as a tanky char, a very glasscannong like ( such as amazon with bow / javelin) or ?Smile

PhoenixRising
Heretic

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Splift on Fri Jan 10, 2014 7:43 pm

You can define your builds now, you just need to know how to do it. For the most part there is no one skill that you put points in and become a tank, I guess perfect being is the closest and relying on just that won't get you anywhere. Typically you will need the right skills, stats and eq all working together to be anything in this game.

Bottom line is you just have to learn more about this mod.

p.s: TA charm does not get cubed with a jewel, thats the class charm.

Splift
Blood Stone

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by PhoenixRising on Fri Jan 10, 2014 7:55 pm

yeh, its the charm you get from Ennead necros i was talking about Smile we noticed it at level 97 that we forgot something.... kinda woops.

PhoenixRising
Heretic

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by gg2 on Fri Jan 10, 2014 8:04 pm

Here's some ss of my tank barb in action.

Btw, those are some end-game items. I would suggest you to start melee until you find the SSU that gives tank morph.

Last edited by gg2 on Fri Jan 10, 2014 8:16 pm; edited 1 time in total

gg2
Scaled Mutant

Marco's Favorite

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum