Psi storm sin

Page 1 of 7 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Psi storm sin

Post by archon256 on Sat Jan 11, 2014 6:40 pm

So anyone else playing this build untwinked? How far along are you?

I'm at 120 in a3 dest with the easy charms done. Trying to do Terror Fauzt for the BRC, and failing. Damage is pretty good (currently at 11k per cast), survivability is basically shit (par for the course for a caster sin I guess) but not a real problem with Vampiric Icon, but my real problem appears to be the lack of a comparable skill to use vs. magic immunes. I don't think her elemental skills are even meant to be good without fire/cold/lightning spell damage and -res gear, and I'm not sure I want to invest in that. And Shuriken Flurry seems to be pretty bad too (maybe only good with Doom?). Beacon is great (love the increased proc rate), but it still falls too rarely to survive a screen-full of Hardliners.

Singularity seems like a good option, but I almost absolutely need to spam Vampiric Icon to survive in there. Hmm, maybe I should try lowering VI's timer too and spamming both?

archon256
Amazon Warrior

I Am Someone

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Psi storm sin

Post by Istaryu on Sat Jan 11, 2014 6:52 pm

Worst a shot, try it!

Istaryu
Curst Guard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Metalistas on Sat Jan 11, 2014 6:58 pm

This is my twinked version. I do switch for fire sentries when facing magic immunes and walk back. Most stages have magic immunes, some areas are magic immune free. Most annoying things will be the flying monsters in act4 near Diablo since they aproach very fast. Phase bomb only slows them a bit. In act5 you will get trap rats and some others, but they are more static and can be taken from afar with fire/lightning sentries if you manage not to run directly into a pack. I have tried destruction fauzt - very slow advancing - same strategy for me like with every caster i play. Summon meat shields, let them tank a second - adjust right skill - kill, summon again... Harpylisks can kill me in 3-5 shots if i am not carefull.
About singularity - bad for me. I used 1 point in it - spell timer 2.5s qq Sad

Metalistas
Goliath

TGBest Transferred

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by archon256 on Sat Jan 11, 2014 7:19 pm

That doesn't look like a Psi Storm sin though. Looks like you're focusing on bombs (maxing both) and using Phase Bomb to further buff them.
Plus you're twinked, so it's not really relevant to me.

Thanks anyway.

archon256
Amazon Warrior

I Am Someone

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Metalistas on Sat Jan 11, 2014 7:31 pm

No problem. My main killing skill is psi storm even without the maxing it. Bombs are back up. It's twinked because i don't have enough time to play each char from scratch. Some chars can be started as other type and restated late game. For example this sin which i restated for caster was started as a TU naginata with crucify then it became maelstrom at 89-120 and now it's caster.

Metalistas
Goliath

TGBest Transferred

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by vadust on Sat Jan 11, 2014 8:26 pm

Pure PS caster sin is a waste of time imo, currently working on altearnative idea that use PS and fire sentry in beggining and will use PB and 2 oskills in end game coz i will craft, got 2 ways how to lvl: classic and weird one, i need some more days to finish her Sad. Problem is to hit 120 and move in destr diff by using setup that i listed, fire sentry dmg too low actually....
Edit: im near h baal  Twisted Evil .

vadust
Scaled Mutant

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by archon256 on Sat Jan 11, 2014 9:06 pm

@Metalistas wrote:No problem. My main killing skill is psi storm even without the maxing it. Bombs are back up.
Ah. I'm not sure why you maxed both though (unless its solely for Kabraxis). Also I have another problem with using bombs or other elemental damage (see reply to vadust below).

@Metalistas wrote:It's twinked because i don't have enough time to play each char from scratch.
Oh that's fine. I have nothing against twinking, just that I don't have anything to twink with (I probably have some SUs and Sets lying around in some ancient backup stash, but I was never a fan of farming anyway).

@Metalistas wrote:For example this sin which i restated for caster was started as a TU naginata with crucify then it became maelstrom at 89-120 and now it's caster.
I had no problems leveling as Psi Stormer (+Singularity) myself, the damage is fantastic and the mana cost can be easily negated with mana on kill from char orb. Survivability is tricky, but you can easily get by with life on kill MOs and life when struck/damage reduced by 2/reanimate MOs.

@vadust wrote:Pure PS caster sin is a waste of time imo,
Well of course, since then you have no way of killing magic immunes.
I'm not saying pure PS caster should be even possible, just that if you pick a backup skill it should be something that scales like PS. Let me explain -
The interesting thing about PS (which is different from most other spells in the game) is that it does not scale with spell damage or total energy, just base points into energy. That means not only do you not need -res gear (no such thing as -magic res) you also don't need spell damage gear, energy factor, %energy etc. All you need is +skills, and the rest of your gear can go towards being tanky.
Now if that sounds OP, it isn't, because you're completely giving up block since all your stat points are going into energy instead of dex.

So now if I have no other option I probably will invest into fire sentry, but at that point I'm deviating from what I feel ought to be the core of the Psi Storm sin philosophy and becoming more of a bombsin (where I would max both bombs, stack fire/light spell damage and -res and use Phase Bomb). Ideally I would prefer to just use Singularity (ok this scales with %phys spell damage, but just that) but that has issues with timer or Shuriken Flurry (does this even do damage? It seems pretty low, even with smax Doom).

archon256
Amazon Warrior

I Am Someone

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by RollsRoyce on Sat Jan 11, 2014 9:35 pm

what if you wear low lvl crafts with dex orbs added ? should be an easy max block with the help of some charms

RollsRoyce
The Smith

롤스로이스 ☆☆☆☆
TGBest Transferred

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Metalistas on Sat Jan 11, 2014 9:47 pm

Cool info. I didn't realise the synergy for psi storm from +skills, i thought it was like usual spell thingy - more energy, more spell factor and so on. What about MO that adds 1% to magic/physical spell damage - will it boost the psi storm ?
I maxed fire and lightning sentries for very end game - to have different type of damage. I like to have two or even three sources of damage in the end. I have to admit i use lighning sentries the least, but maybe because it's on F4 after psi and fire Very Happy
And i usually play without the orb. Unless the char is really hard to handle in early game and the orb gives good boost.

Metalistas
Goliath

TGBest Transferred

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by archon256 on Sat Jan 11, 2014 10:01 pm

@RollsRoyce wrote:what if you wear low lvl crafts with dex orbs added ? should be an easy max block with the help of some charms
Max block without any points into dex? Is that even possible? I only have 113 dex from Tiefling morph, and normal sin puts like 1100+ points into dex, or whatever the max we can get is.

@Metalistas wrote:What about MO that adds 1% to magic/physical spell damage - will it boost the psi storm ?
Nope. Like I said, it only scales off skill level and base points into energy.

@Metalistas wrote:I maxed fire and lightning sentries for very end game - to have different type of damage. I like to have two or even three sources of damage in the end.
Seems like a waste of stat points to me, but ok.

@Metalistas wrote:I have to admit i use lighning sentries the least, but maybe because it's on F4 after psi and fire Very Happy
You still use function keys? I can't play without mapping my common skills to z/x/c/v, buffs/stances to a/s/d/f and only rare skills like beacon, dark summoning and town portal to function keys.

Alright, Trial of Blood done. As usual the trickiest part was not killing the priestesses in a second from miscasting Psi Storm (or leaving Beacon on... oops). Vampiric Stance for instant refill and near-immortality, except for when teleport-when-struck made me teleport into an adjacent room full of zons.  Laughing 

Now if only I could complete T. Fauzt, sigh.

Speaking of the BRC, does anyone even use Psychic Scream? Sounds really lame to me.

archon256
Amazon Warrior

I Am Someone

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 7 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum