Damage reduction?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Damage reduction?

Post by chickenfeeder on Thu Jan 16, 2014 4:25 am

I've just completed BRC for my unholy pala, and get blessed life  Cheers! , now i have some questions: The note on the skill is "reduce all incoming physical damage", so I think it only reduce physical damage. But when I check status in plugy, the "damage reduction" increased when I put more point into blessed life. So, is the "damage reduction" affix only reduce physical damage, not magic or ele damage? If not, is that right that I can stack more physic dmg (only physic) reduction from both items and skill, i.e 20% dr from skill and 50% from items? Or it's still cap at 50%? Or... was plugy wrong, blessed life doesn't increase total dr? Or is the note on skill not right?

chickenfeeder
Fairy Witch

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Damage reduction?

Post by Thall on Thu Jan 16, 2014 6:22 am

I would assume that having blessed life does not increase the cap and instead just lets you get your DR% from a skill instead of having to get it from items so you can go for straight defence and damage.

edit: next time go to the short questions thread before making an entirely new thread

Thall
Bloody Butcher

We March For Macragge!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by gg2 on Thu Jan 16, 2014 6:28 am

So yeah ¨damage reduced¨only reduce physical damage.

gg2
Scaled Mutant

Marco's Favorite

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Thall on Thu Jan 16, 2014 6:44 am

@gg2 wrote:So yeah ¨damage reduced¨only reduce physical damage.

iirc there are specific modifiers for reducing incoming magic damage but it does it by a fixed number rather than a percentage and obviously you have a resistance to each elemental damage.

edit: you can also get elemental absorbs on your items and again I'm not really sure how they work

Thall
Bloody Butcher

We March For Macragge!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by archon256 on Thu Jan 16, 2014 9:04 am

Blessed life adds flat physical damage reduction with soft points and %physical damage reduction with hard points.

DR always refers to physical damage reduction, unless specified otherwise. As Thall says, there are flat magic damage reduction modifiers in the game.

DR from skills and items is additive, and capped at 50%. If you get 100% or more total DR, you'll still take damage as if you have 50% DR, but you'll also become immune to crushing blow.

archon256
Amazon Warrior

I Am Someone

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Thall on Thu Jan 16, 2014 9:33 am

@archon256 wrote:but you'll also become immune to crushing blow.

Wow I didn't know that there was actually a point to getting more DR thanks for that.  Surprised 

Thall
Bloody Butcher

We March For Macragge!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by whist on Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:09 am

@Thall wrote:
@archon256 wrote:but you'll also become immune to crushing blow.

Wow I didn't know that there was actually a point to getting more DR thanks for that.  Surprised 

It's not like crushing blow immunity is that much useful. Is there even any monster that uses crushing blow?
That would be greatly useful for pvp though.

whist
Nihlathak

Huehuehue™

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by menas on Thu Jan 16, 2014 7:46 pm

what about the bearstance on barb since it has been changed to go over 50% what sense does the change make then if you cant go over 50 % dr

menas
Sasquatch

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by grimjerk on Thu Jan 16, 2014 7:57 pm

Most guys advocate points in bear stance so that with your gear you have 50%. Assuming no %DR on gear then you stop at hard skill level 25.

grimjerk
Prince Albrecht

Grumpy Uncle Grimjerk knows best!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by archon256 on Thu Jan 16, 2014 8:01 pm

@menas wrote:what about the bearstance on barb since it has been changed to go over 50% what sense does the change make then if you cant go over 50 % dr
There are items with negative DR (Skin of Kabraxis, Death's Bellringer, Ras Algethi, Satan's Dark Delight, etc.). Using Bear with >50 DR would allow you to make up for that and still end up with 50 DR.

archon256
Amazon Warrior

I Am Someone

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum