Random ideas / QQ thread

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Random ideas / QQ thread

Post by iwansquall on Sun Jan 26, 2014 2:12 am

Im bored at office, why not I post another random thread?

1. Negative part triefling form is too much.
It have 3 negative. Most buff only have 2 negative (druid morph have skill limitation, trap druid have slow animation, superbeast cant use potion, necro have 1/2 minion stats) but none of them are severely weaken player as triefling. It is too imba for player to combine it with QoB and ways poison DPS? Or maybe super fast animation for bow sin (but with no ways dmg) or maybe better tankier caster without 0 def?.

2. More weapon choice for classes
Barb can use javelin for throwing, necro can use 2hand sword for melee & bow for xbow skill, lioness zon can use 2hand sword+scythe+axe, orb for bladestorm, javelin for trapdruid Laz was worried too much about itemization back with affix pool, but I doubt there are any imba combo possible here (aside from trapdruid can use throwing knife back then)

3. Should legacy oskill,1pt wonder and skill never modified median 1.58 to be buffed?
There are oskill available, but I would called it a failure because laz didnt manage to make it a good mechanic for character skill and some the stats are too weak. Shadow avatar was buffed in medianXL but many still left behind. As for vanilla skill, bear claw and stampede came to my mind. Even ghost arrow was buff slightly before removed (it didnt appear as oskill now because it is used to cheese some boss). There are also tons of 1point wonder that might required some synergies added.

4. Contents added too much at high end, player have more power, and uber became too bias to only certain type of classes?
I dont want to talk about reaching damage cap, caster vs WDM, survival versus dps. Back then only ureh was designed for tanker class that limited to certain character. But right now there are tons of uber that is 100% need dedicated gear, meaning you have spend hours grinding to farm item, craft, or trading. All ultimative content are too hard on power level making it really super end game only. We need a database of which uber and which classes / type used you to clear without twinking / trading item.

5. Signet of learning is too damn expensive?
I dunno how long you guys take to farm all those 500 for each char, I personally think it is not casual friendly enough. What if each act boss at least drop 1 signet of learning per run? Yes it is too cheap, but it still 500 runs player have to make. Griswold also now drop it, but do you think grisworld should reward player better than act boss (maybe only mephisto is easiest boss to run)? Normal gift box is fine as starting boost, but terror side is kinda.. something people would abuse instead of playing "the normal way until destruction". Im thinking some like maybe around 200 signet before reaching destruction will help player much better until they finally reach certain easy uber.

*Im considered myself casual player who only play once a while that hate endless/mindless farming without a choice / way to proper upgrade character. I havent clear any ultimative uber aside from cheesing old chrysaor, even that not enough to get me all stuff needed for godly power. I perhaps have to reroll to cookie cutter build...

iwansquall
Blood Golem

Underpowered Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Random ideas / QQ thread

Post by The Big Ouchy on Sun Jan 26, 2014 4:18 am

Im kind of with you on number 4 but im lazy and also dont like strong builds so of course id find it off-putting.

The Big Ouchy
Bear Shaman

More brilliant than Chuck Noris!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by iwansquall on Sun Jan 26, 2014 5:56 am

Couple Addition:

1. Terror difficulty / Pre-lvl 90 is a mess because you either stop a while to farm item(griswold box) or continuing struggling a difficulty curve until you get your lvl 90 which unlock TONS of bonus on class charm. Unlock class charm earlier could help this part, without ability to unlock your ennead skill yet (require lvl 90). Same goes for pre-lvl 50 (sunstone), but at least it not as bad as pre-90. Hitting super huge wall in terror act3 as usual.

2. Runeword, TU, honorific, Gemword, Jewelword
Perhaps another way to help leveling up is to buff/nerf specific item at low level. Some of build dont even have choice at low level because of item limitation (I think trapdruid have weapon limited problem). Some TU remain useless while honorific is superb in certain gear (because lacking of decent RW / TU). Hmm, anyone still using gemword or jewelword after lvl 30?

3. Rare / magical gems and runes
Dunno if this possible in the engine. Basically it just less magic affix compared to jewel, but you get 'confirmed' stat on base gem / runes. This will adding more customization to paragon-zon and runemaster barb. Affix pool of this item need to be much weaker than jewel though.

4. Costumizable consumeable
Not really customize like gear, but something like "make your consumeable work better" with addition of potion that give non-stackable buff. Example: 20% more life regen on starcookie or 20% more def on goodberry, more %exp from exp elixir. Need to scrap various stats for it though, unless people still using "when eating apple" stat.

5. Better reanimate for caster!
Unless you can add more stuff that caster can proc (it available only some stuff), they should be able get much better reanimate then those using specific weapon / class specific gear. Preferably one that can deal alternate element damage, although not sure how they can use it to defeat boss like kabraxis though.

iwansquall
Blood Golem

Underpowered Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sexen on Sun Jan 26, 2014 8:05 am

I like most of your suggestions! Hopefully Marco considers some of them Very Happy

Sexen
Howling Spirit

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by MarcoNecroX on Sun Jan 26, 2014 8:14 am

1. cross-class comparitions are pointless. it's irrelevant the # of debuffs, what matters it the contrast between both buffs and debuffs. You get 0 def which is overly compensated by +hp because thats how assa works. you get disabled flat elemental ways which doesn't even count as a debuff, just imagine it like a devotion. And you get flat dex, flat str, energy factor and sick cast speed. I really don't know what you're talking about.

2. Ez suggestion.

3. Random suggestion. Saying "remove 1pt wonders" or "make old skills viable again" doesn't help. 1pt wonders are created due to the fact that the skill mechanics force that. E.g. beacon.

4. An unbiased uberquest would need not to have instagibs because it biases assa. No high damage cuz barb. Can't be single target because it would biase summoners. It would need to have no resis because it biases casters. No high life because it biases CB/curses. Shouldn't be crowdy because it biases wdm. But it should be crowdy or it biases multihitting. Guess what. You can't make an unbiased uber.

5. no they are cheap as hell.

--

1. level challenges are perfectly fine. you don't need to grind they are all easy.

2. yeah gimme a few minutes........ k done

3. not possible

4. no free stats

5. ??

MarcoNecroX
Malthael

Führer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sexen on Sun Jan 26, 2014 8:16 am

As far as 4 goes just give the uber boss' the ability to be targeted with homing skills. This will open up at least a few more options.

Sexen
Howling Spirit

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by archon256 on Sun Jan 26, 2014 8:51 am

@MarcoNecroX wrote:
4. An unbiased uberquest would need  not to have instagibs because it biases assa. No high damage cuz barb. Can't be single target because it would biase summoners. It would need to have no resis because it biases casters. No high life because it biases CB/curses. Shouldn't be crowdy because it biases wdm. But it should be crowdy or it biases multihitting. Guess what. You can't make an unbiased uber.
It's a matter of degrees, I think.
Kabraxis is the biggest offender, for example, and it's definitely biased towards a narrow range of builds compared to stuff like Fauzt, Duncraig, TA etc.

I would be fine with Kabraxis if it was a bunch of areas that require a particular element because you could build different chars or use different gear on same char to do each area one by one (so like how the seals are) but the fact that you need all the elements at the same time so you can do the main boss area makes rainbow damage builds mandatory to complete it.

archon256
Amazon Warrior

I Am Someone

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by flubbucket on Sun Jan 26, 2014 9:19 am

I can remember playing D1 back in the stone (modem) age when the illegitimi would hack a character and cause all sorts of havoc and grief. The early days of D2 were tough but fun. People would/will complain and some will remember things with rose colored glasses.

However, the game is still around and being played so go figure. What I've not really ever fully understood is nerfing things in general. I understand things being fixed which are BROKEN. Like I said, I've seen the ugly. I realize I'm oversimplifying, mostly due to my lack of understanding, but nerfing seems to be the simple way to solve a problem/issue. So what if a Blessed Hammerdin is too powerful. If players want to play that 'toon then what's the issue?? I didn't like it much and preferred a zealer...well actually I'm more of a necro/trapsin but I digress.  

I have no complaints about MXLU. Short version is, I would not like to see anything nerfed unless someone smart can help me understand why it is the best way to fix something broken. I play games because they're fun. I understand the purists and their need to keep balance and order....I just don't happen to be one of them.

flubbucket
Necrobot

Creepy Old Geezer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sexen on Sun Jan 26, 2014 9:26 am

Sometimes skills or items outshine every other skill/item. This is unbalanced and reducing the effectiveness of the (over) powerful object will make it scale more evenly with the surrounding content. Hunting Banshee (same skill for years and never thought op) for example got 2 additional missiles and was the most effective build for 90% of all the content. Why would anyone use anything else against kabraxis when you can kill him in under 2 minutes? This example is of XI of course but the way to "fix" this is make hunting banshee around the same strength as the other caster skills so people will give more builds a try.

Sexen
Howling Spirit

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by archon256 on Sun Jan 26, 2014 10:12 am

@flubbucket wrote:Short version is, I would not like to see anything nerfed unless someone smart can help me understand why it is the best way to fix something broken. I play games because they're fun. I understand the purists and their need to keep balance and order....I just don't happen to be one of them.
I can try and explain. There are two reasons to pick a particular build:
a) You like how the build plays or looks
b) The build is good at farming items or killing bosses

In an ideal world all the skills would be equally good at farming things, so anyone can pick a skill that they like, for whatever reason, and do equally well as their friends who are playing other things. An additional bonus is if the different builds are equally good at doing different things that are of approximately equally value, because then you can pick any build and know that it can specialize in one task and be really good at it (like farming a particular heroic boss charm). This would result in a very diverse set of builds doing all sorts of different things well.

However this is rarely the case. What often happens (in every game) is that there are certain builds that the community find is really good at farming one or more levels, and then all the people who aren't playing that build don't have fun because they see that their build sucks in comparison to their friends who are playing it. Then they'll reluctantly play that build even if they don't like that skill!

Now what the modmaker can do is either nerf those skills, or buff everything else. The second option might seem like the more fun option, but it comes with additional problems. First of all it's a lot of work to buff every other skill in the game instead of nerfing the few strong ones. Secondly it leads to power creep - if every player skill is buffed the game gets too easy, leading to a different kind of dissatisfaction.

The best solution really is to keep changing skills around ever so often. That way every patch/ladder will have a "best" build that people can search for, but then when the new patch comes out there'll be a different one that was previously weak and people will have an incentive to play that one. It's what the Path of Exile devs have been doing somewhat successfully (they have the same problem of a lot of old skills being near-useless though).

Edit: Not sure why you brought it up here though, pretty sure this thread is about buffing underused player skills, not nerfing them.

archon256
Amazon Warrior

I Am Someone

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum