Ultimative journey - HC and SC

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Ultimative journey - HC and SC

Post by zaphodbrx on Thu Feb 13, 2014 5:24 pm

Hi there. I played classic MXL ( 2012v005 ) to a pretty good extent, making 4 characters (SC) and finishing all the uberquests except the Laz one, most of them a great many times ( have 9 types of trophies iirc ). It was good for a while but finally I got bored of trying to kill Laz and there wasn't anything else to really do there so I decided to make the switch to ultimative ( ~end of December ). I'm currently playing ultimative 13 ( heard that 14 is buggy so didn't upgrade ).

That's not the only reason though. After trying out the early game stuff I really liked it and decided to try hardcore. And I really enjoyed it, got sucked into the game again despite suffering one deeds. In fact, the first ultimative character of mine to reach lvl 120 was my HC sorc. After that I made an SC sorc and then a HC paladin and then SC paladin. My character screen looks like this. However I respec'ed the SC melee/dragon paladin to unholy caster after Dest. act 1 for the purposes of getting ubercharms. And that is my primary character at the moment, finishing up to glacial trail in Act 5. All the others are still in A1 or A2 destruction.

While I love HC and will certainly be getting back to it sometime, I'm mainly going to be concentrating on SC, just to try out all the ubers and see what has changed in ultimative. The purpose of this thread is to share that journey, and observe changes in ubers for ultimative. Comments and suggestions will be most welcome. Please note that I do not use any hack, cheat or any third party program at all except for plugy ( which is mainly for stash ). This thread will be updated from time to time.

Dungeon

Creature of flame: I will iron out a solid strategy for doing this on HC later, but in SC it is no problem even if you die a couple times.
Infernal machine: Seems stronger in ultimative but killed it somehow.
Death projector: Very easy, I died once though, it's been a while.
Azmodan: Very unreliable, really depends on luck as to what elites spawn and where. Also unseelie curse prevents casting?? Managed to do it somehow

Rathma's square: Came across some scimitars which were unkillable, tried to rush the boss and died. Definitely boosted in ultimative.

Uberlevels:

K3KBA: Wow, seems like this place got a major boost. I'll try this again with exemplar merc for retaliate or with flamestrike sorc as I am having trouble killing totems reliably. No charm yet.

Island of Sunless Sea: This place seems boosted majorly, I got pwned at the entrance and there seem to be some monster types that weren't there before ( called 'reveler' or something ).

Tran Athualua: Considerably more difficult due to arrowside proc but I loved it overall. Priestesses don't die instantly as well. Got the charm on the 10th priestess kill.

Summmoning:

Butcher: v. easy if we have summons, no difference I think.
Tal Rasha: simple gear check
Akarat: No change, very easy, succeeded first time.
Jitan: No change I think, killed him once but no charm yet.

Bartuc: Tried once and got owned. Either my memory is wrong or his HP has been boosted by a LOT. Also, got all my stats gone ( Death touch curse? )

Remaining: Didn't try yet.

zaphodbrx
Bane Hunter

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Ultimative journey - HC and SC

Post by zaphodbrx on Fri Feb 14, 2014 4:21 pm

Update: Completed Moon of the spider, Worldstone key, Zakarum's ear and Hammer of Taan judges.

Zakarum avatars had more hit points than in classic I think, but still succeeded on first try.
King Koth and Jitan basically unchanged from classic and thus really easy.
Used exemplar merc to run K3KBA, it drops pretty good too.

Character screen and charms pic ( arranged from bottom to top in the order in which I got them )

zaphodbrx
Bane Hunter

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by zaphodbrx on Fri Feb 14, 2014 6:16 pm

I want to understand the new IOTSS ( Island of Sunless Sea ). It is considerably harder than before. What is the spell that the priests use, that causes lot of damage? What damage type? And does Malic always teleport when low on life?

zaphodbrx
Bane Hunter

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Istaryu on Fri Feb 14, 2014 6:18 pm

I think it's the same... Just go in and kill stuff like before

Istaryu
Curst Guard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by zaphodbrx on Sat Feb 15, 2014 10:08 am

@Istaryu wrote:I think it's the same... Just go in and kill stuff like before

Yup. But the monsters in there are changed a lot, which makes it much harder. Specifically the revelers, which cast a yellow ball that does huge damage moving back and forth ( I don't know the damage type ).

But anyway, I completed that one. I also finished Bartuc and Judgement day using my sorc with a sort of cheese strategy ( high hp ice elementals to tank, spam flamestrike at bosses and keep popping esu's in order to not die ).

Judgement day is upgraded once ( the double avatar thing to get +3 skills and 50 stats ), and needs to be upgraded twice more ( trophy, Toraja ). IMO the fully upgraded CFM is perhaps the best charm in the game.

15 charms in 3 days, not bad. I also did the bremmtown one five times, but couldn't get it done within 3 min. Lack killspeed, will come back to that later. That's pretty much unchanged I think.

Belial is next on the list..

zaphodbrx
Bane Hunter

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by zaphodbrx on Sat Feb 15, 2014 4:44 pm

Completed Bremmtown and Toraja. I had a lot of trouble with Toraja, as my summons kept getting killed and I couldn't kill Morlu faster than Lilith summoned them. I respec'ed to a full summon build ( ie smax scourge compared to 1 pt ) and that worked. Don't think there are any changes here, Toraja without Rathma's chosen is major fail anyway.

Completed J'day charm ( trophy still left ), and fully upgraded class charm.

I also tried Belial a few times but he was a colossal pain in the ass. Apparently his burn nova as well as poison goes through sacred armor so that idea didn't work. And since the ancients way is locked after entering that option is also not there. I'll have to think out something later. P.S. tainted blood does NOT help against the burn nova, contrary to some suggestions I have read in threads, it's regen is negligible compared to how fast that thing sucks away your hp.

zaphodbrx
Bane Hunter

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by zaphodbrx on Sun Feb 16, 2014 2:25 pm

Completed Quov Tsin, Rathma's square, Cathedral of Vanity, Inarius revenge. Writeup and comparison coming soon.

I tried Duncraig ( doable, cleared the first room but died to barrel and didn't want to continue ), and Kingdom of Shadow ( probably doable as well but too much work, needs spin to win aka whirlwind, 3s teleport is not enough ). I think I can do it with my current gear but that brings me to my next problem.

Which is: Gear. Currently, my gear is almost shamefully bad and hardly worth mentioning. Yul staff, Dragonheart armor, aerin orbiter, random crafts, runewords, T6, whatever comes along. No SUs or Set items practically at all. I have Malthael's helm and Imperius breastplate, that's it, use them sometimes. I am considering loading up on magic find and doing a few hundred runs of Tran Athulua and K3KBA, I will probably have to do that sooner or later anyway to get better gear for the remaining ubers. Farming is booring... Again, I can't help thinking of my fully completed paladin sets and most SUs sitting uselessly in my cMXL stash. Ugh.

zaphodbrx
Bane Hunter

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Str0b3l on Sun Feb 16, 2014 2:38 pm

@zaphodbrx wrote:
died to barrel

?

Str0b3l
The Butcher

TGBest Transferred

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Metalistas on Sun Feb 16, 2014 4:13 pm

SC and HC.

Metalistas
Goliath

TGBest Transferred

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by zaphodbrx on Sun Feb 16, 2014 4:17 pm

Explosive barrel.

I'm going to do HC next week. No ubers probably, except the really simple ones.

zaphodbrx
Bane Hunter

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum