Post by MUS01 on Sun Jun 28, 2015 9:17 pm

If you wish play a safe char, then shamman barb is better. and lazy....XD

MUS01
Burning Dead

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Totemancer XIV

Post by Winston_Smith on Sun Jun 28, 2015 10:24 pm

Shadows are the preffered minion because they buff the totem elemental damage - and because deathlord cripples the stats of summons it is better to go with reanimates for extra meatshields. Ofcourse you can ditch deathlord altogether but that will mean no enhanced def skill before lvl 90 (death ward is better than jinn and rathma's chosen for this build imo). Of the melee skills - well totems already deal enough punishment however in some circumstances angel of death  can come in handy Wink

Last edited by Winston_Smith on Sun Jun 28, 2015 10:25 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typo)

Winston_Smith
Blood Rogue

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Kato on Sun Jun 28, 2015 10:54 pm

Safe & lazy sounds good right now Smile

I'll use the SB barb since I get 112 levels of a start! I'll probably do something on a necro though as a background char...

This guide seemed good because it was a hybrid totem/melee, having Deathlord and lots of minions/totems seemed to give it safety, with melee skills to speed up the action? And the guide seems to say that it works in late game?

Is pure Summoner necro safer (but slower)?

Kato
Core Lord

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Winston_Smith on Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:08 pm

Well to me totemancer is way lazier than summoner barb- most of the time you only use bend the shadows to move and position yourself and buff with burning veil while the barb switches stances, spirit walk, titan strike, thunder slam etc.
Compared to barb summoner necro has better minions but is way more fragile - his achilees heel is the low defense so careful positioning is vital when playing him.

Winston_Smith
Blood Rogue

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Kato on Tue Jun 30, 2015 8:43 pm

Thx to Winston & MUS01. All good to know.

Kato
Core Lord

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Kato on Wed Jul 01, 2015 7:44 pm

@Winston_Smith wrote: - and because deathlord cripples the stats of summons it is better to go with reanimates for extra meatshields.

Aaaargh, the first time I read your post I didn't register the bit about DL crippling the stats of summons (long day, I guess).
Now I've read the skill description properly I see it says -50% to summons & totems. Ouch. Big ouch.

So... would you say that it's best to play this as a melee necro who happens to get a boost from +50% from totems and summons, or just go 100% totemancer?

If I don't get big +life items and have no DL active then I'm going to be vulnerable, so getting in melee range is a bit silly even if I could do good damage with melee skills?

Kato
Core Lord

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by cowking on Wed Jul 01, 2015 10:11 pm

@Kato wrote:
Aaaargh, the first time I read your post I didn't register the bit about DL crippling the stats of summons (long day, I guess).
Now I've read the skill description properly I see it says -50% to summons & totems. Ouch. Big ouch.

So... would you say that it's best to play this as a melee necro who happens to get a boost from +50% from totems and summons, or just go 100% totemancer?

If I don't get big +life items and have no DL active then I'm going to be vulnerable, so getting in melee range is a bit silly even if I could do good damage with melee skills?

Totemancers don't use melee attacks.

Variants of totemancer.

Deathlord + Death Ward = highest defense, no ranged attacks, weak minions, lowest damage output. Worst spec unless you're doing toraja, ureh or maggot lair.

Summon Jinn = extremely low defense, highest damage output, flexible and forgiving on gear.

Death Ward = varies from low to high defense (depends on gear). Probably stuck using T6 ancient armor for a long time if you want to multi-element. Probably best spec with unlimited gear.

Something else.
cowking
Clawstorm Terror

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Kato on Fri Jul 03, 2015 7:39 pm

[quote="cowking"]
@Kato wrote:
Totemancers don't use melee attacks.
Now I'm confused. The guide on page 1 of this thread talks about 2 melee skills (AoD and... another). They're only one-pointers, but the way they're described sounds like they're getting used.

And using Deathlord would reduce damage by 50% so it would have to make you very tanky to go that route, especially if you don't use melee skills?

Kato
Core Lord

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Winston_Smith on Fri Jul 03, 2015 8:52 pm

Deathlord does not affect totems- only regular summons and it is used mainly as a defense booster - so you dont die at every defense check monster encounter (think heretic packs). Once you reach lvl 90 you unlock death ward and therefore have the freedom to either get rid of deathlord in favour of a ranged spell (the malice tree introduced in XV patch has some cool options including an awesome passive that gives great synergy to totems) or continue using deathlord - then the 1 pointers in the melee tree refer to massacre and angel of death which may be used in the extremely rare circumstances where totems fail - massacre is effective as a proc trigger (the author of the guide mentions using a balefire knife against the tri-ele immune neon fiends in fauzt) while aod takes out non poison immune stationary targets (like infernal machine and the crystal ball in cathedral of vanity).

Winston_Smith
Blood Rogue

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Kato on Fri Jul 03, 2015 9:22 pm

Now I understand, thanks mate. Clap Clap
Cookie for you - surprised that it seems to be your first.

Kato
Core Lord

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum