Some thoughts and questions from a long-time Median player

Page 1 of 15 1, 2, 3 ... 8 ... 15  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Some thoughts and questions from a long-time Median player

Post by kaziq on Sun Mar 02, 2014 12:58 pm

Hi all. I have been playing Median XL since about 2008 version, through all the new versions to the current Ultimative XIV, and recently I'm getting really disappointed. This may come from my lack of knowledge or skill, so please don't take it personally. I just want to share my thoughts.

In the past days, when there were no Diablo 3 yet, and Median XL was just three difficulties + uberlevels, with my bowazon I was able to beat about 2/3 of the destruction uberlevels and quests. Not with an ease of course. But I was happy of that. But the "recent" changes slowly made the experience much less rewarding.

First, making the destruction level an uberlevel entirely. I find it as a very cool feature. You could get sets and stuff from the "normal" game now - less difficult than ubers at the beginning, but with slowly rising difficulty, which promotes learning. But there was one problem with that, that still exists. All the ubers have been made more difficult. That should have not been a problem, since you were supposed to be much stronger at the time you enter the new ubers. But It doesn't work exactly like that. The power you can get now has not been scaled accordingly with the ubers' toughness. I have played only one character - bowazon - on Ultimative, so maybe it's just the one character that got too much nerf (or too little boost). But I can see that in the past days I could beat 2/3 of the dest uberlevels without using any mystic orbs and with a sacred unique bow without any sockets filled, while now, at the same stage, I can barely beat half of them with all items packed full with MOs and tier 6 unique bow filled with 6xJAH. Not to mention I have not found any decent sacred unique bow until now (middle of act 5 destruction).

Second is the loot. Destruction level diffictulty has increased, all the uberlevels difficulties have increased. And what happened to the uberlevels loot? Nothing. The reward modifiers are more or less on the same level, as they were before (not counting the additional loot from the new uberlevels, which are mostly unbeatable for me at this point).

Third: I don't know whether I have some very bad luck, or it's a feature, but something wrong happened to the overall drop chances. In the past, at about middle of act 3 destruction, I already had almost complete bowazon set (with a little help of K3KBA farming). Now I am in the middle of act 5 destruction, and guess how many pieces I have found. ... NONE, not a single one. At this point I am wearing one useful set piece (from a sorceress' set, or something like that), and my remaining gear is all tier 6 items (not a single SU).

Today I was trying to beat Lord Aldric Jitan for several times, without success due to his massive life regeneration. I tried to find "Prevent monster heal", and I found that it is a part of the Nightmare spell, that is ridiculously hard to obtain. Nevertheless I was able to get the Dreamswayer TU War Scepter, that has 15% chance to cast it on melee attack. So I had to fight a bowazon with the scepter just to prevent Jitan from healing, making max two hits before being killed. And when his life dropped below half, and the Nightmare timed out, he healed to full life in like 5 seconds. So how exactly is anyone supposed to beat him? Of course you can't get the real "prevent monster heal" (that lasts longer than 15 seconds) from any crafts, runes, or runewords.

So why won't I revert to median XL 2012 or whatever? Because I very much like the new ideas: new uberquests, destruction as an uberlevel, and the like. But the increased overall difficulty is much overkill in my opinion. I don't call myself an expert - far from that in fact, so maybe what I have written above is all bollocks and I just don't see some obvious things. In that case just call me an idiot and let's forget about it Smile.

kaziq
Glowing Fungus

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Some thoughts and questions from a long-time Median player

Post by chickenfeeder on Sun Mar 02, 2014 1:21 pm

you are not wrong, the difficult and drop rate of MXLU have decreased heavily compare to 2012, in 2012 runes and flawless gems lie in ground like trash in hatred fauzt and in terror fauzt you can get 1 page stash full of shrine in just 1 times enter, now it's much less worthwhile stuff. But that is, imo, to encourage people to join and play together in MP, so that no hack, no cheat, no sharestash, just trading and through it unite median xl community. About your luck, I could only say badluck, and you will feel you get bad luck anytime you use a char to find his own stuff.
lord aldric jitan is a "hard" uber, which can't be done without enough dmg, you can find "guide to all uberquest" by MarconecroX. Ok I will tell you, actually you don't need nightmate to stop his healing, just give him a chance to get close and hit you or your summon, he will walk in without casting fortress or healing. If you can affort to kill all guardsmen then you nearly got him. use tp or the red portal to get home anytime there are too many fortress, resummon, get back and teleport at him. Why he get busy and slowed with your elemental, fire him crazily, sometime he will heal, keep attacking, if you feel your dmg can't outcome his healing speed, tp home, wait a bit and return, sooner or later you will make it, and get mad if he die without drop anything Very Happy (I meet this all the time, 15mins killing him and nothing in reward)

chickenfeeder
Fairy Witch

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Soponator on Sun Mar 02, 2014 1:25 pm

@kaziq wrote: In that case just call me an idiot and let's forget about it Smile.

jajajja thats a nice way of not starting an arguement. first of all, have you eaten the 500 signets of learning + 3 signets of skills they do help. a lot. have you made the minigames, level challenges, black road challenge, etc? they help another bunch. i would recomend to change the "jah" runes for perfect rainbow stones, for more crushing blow. socket every other hole with perfect amethysts and use paragon. the last time i played single player, was en XI and i wasnt satisfied with the drops, and ended up cheating like a little faggot and ruined my game. so my personal advice: dont give up. check at the docs or ask in the SQT for some tips to get a little more strong and you will notice the dif.

Soponator
Baal

Hairy Ass Argentinian
TGGood 125

View user profile http://www.medianxl.com/t4645-bienvenidos-al-foro-oficial-de-med

Back to top Go down

Post by zaphodbrx on Sun Mar 02, 2014 3:04 pm

Kaziq- see my thread here. I make a comparison between MXL 2012v005 and Ultimative 13 based on my observations, and there is a list of ubers and the builds I did them with, in the order I did them. I didn't play a bowazon on ultimative though.

zaphodbrx
Bane Hunter

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by archon256 on Sun Mar 02, 2014 5:11 pm

I believe the game's been tuned towards more 'hardcore' players since Laz quit. Meaning you'll need to spend more time (farming, collecting charms) with each character before you can advance as far as you could previously. Then you'll need to spend even more before you can complete the new MXLU ubers.

In some ways this is a good thing, if you have the free time to invest in a game like this you'll find that you have a steeper difficulty curve to progress your character slowly upwards over a longer period of time, meaning you spend longer with each character which can be fun.

However if you're a casual player like me, you're kinda screwed. Very Happy
Still, I think it's worth it only to try out some* of the new ubers. They can be rather fun.

*The rest are too hard for me to ever be able to complete. Laughing

Edit: It's not that the character you've chosen is weak, it's just that you have a long way to go before she's at max power. Proof: This is a guide to how to defeat the insane 31-stage Uldyssian uber that was remade recently in the latest patch, using a Barragezon.

archon256
Amazon Warrior

I Am Someone

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by MarcoNecroX on Sun Mar 02, 2014 9:14 pm

players have always complained that the game was too easy to beat.. I mean all uberquests are doable by people - exclude my boss for now - which means if someone can do them, it's fine. I mean, a game where all uberquests (focus on the word 'uber') are doable by everyone would be a tremendously boring game for those who are seeking some thrill.

then again I find the statement of "ultimative is harder and the resources are equal" not fair. There are a lot of new tools to improve your characters further. Many of the improvements to bosses toguhness are quite superficial if you ask me. I've done things like making death projector cast spiral when struck but it doesn't actually make the uberquest harder at all.

I could write a lot more in these regards but probably playing more would prove you wrong. You will hardly see a thread of someone struggling with something specific and no solution. I remember for example whist making assassin as first character in MXLU and being completely hopeless, until I told him to try out melee sorc, and he seemed to have a lot of success and joy with it afterwards. Maybe bowzon is just not your type of character, it requires more reflexes than other characters, has no defense with ecstatic frenzy, and we could say it requires quite expensive gear.

MarcoNecroX
Malthael

Führer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by romanN1 on Sun Mar 02, 2014 9:41 pm

I know you specified "exclude my boss for now" but there are actually 2 threads opened, one for your boss where people struggled and just gave up because of a "no solution" result and The Void thread where people still struggle to find more solutions Smile.

romanN1
The Smith

Mr. Nice Guy

View user profile https://www.youtube.com/user/winstonjaegarn

Back to top Go down

Post by pa5call on Sun Mar 02, 2014 9:42 pm

I'd say that the main success factor consists of luck and the right order to attend each uber... Luck I mean for example good charm rolls and the trophy (really helpful these trophies) while the right order will stop U from attending Bremtown with only several charms. I believe that majority of ubers can be completed by majority of players. It is true though, that one or two charms are not for everybody and never will be  Tongue
...perhaps a Hall of Fame with all players that completed the game (all charms) would be a good idea to motivate discouraged players after "no joy" progress  Bomb

pa5call
Cathedral Drow

TGGood 7

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by romanN1 on Sun Mar 02, 2014 9:56 pm

In this condition the I Am Rich charm should be made of other 3 trophies, one from startled witch, one from Rathma vs Mendeln and one from Marco Necro X Secret Boss Smile).

romanN1
The Smith

Mr. Nice Guy

View user profile https://www.youtube.com/user/winstonjaegarn

Back to top Go down

Post by VroaxE on Sun Mar 02, 2014 10:38 pm

Farming witch for a trophy seems like a recipe for boredom... and R vs M is actually easy to farm, the only difficulty is the timing. Getting rathma down wan be done naked (well actually you still have to kill those pesky skels so maybe not naked).

Topic related :
For Lord Aldric Jitan, you can use tantrum craft/rare sacred bow. Summon edyrems/elementals, spam tantrum, summon, spam some more tantrum and kite when they appear. If you summon in a corner it should work.

Also my advice would be to replace TU bow with some craft/rw Sacred Bow for more dmg. Some weird craft with high ed and ctc arrow/knife is not too hard to roll and can really push up your dmg.

VroaxE
Heretic

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 15 1, 2, 3 ... 8 ... 15  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum