What's happening in Median?

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

What's happening in Median?

Post by ApolloAnyday on Tue Mar 25, 2014 8:13 am

For starters; I'm fairly new to MXLU (lvl 85 pally at the moment) so forgive me if I'm stupid for not knowing more the majority of my time on the forums has been spent understanding revamped and new mechanics of the game and fixing my shitty builds and learning from guides, you can only read so many old posts and understand what's going on. Thinking 

So, if I understand correctly SIGMA is more or less an entirely new MXL because Ultimative is reaching a point of entropy where it'll just become a 999999 number gang rape Threesome because you can only release so much content and patch it so many times but this won't be around for a long while. Crying or Very sad 

I've been reading around the forums a bit trying to figure out where the community of Median is and what they're doing, it's disheartening to me to see such little activity (in my opinion) on the forums. Seeing guides that are from aeons ago and others that haven't been updated for an entire year, does everybody just play online or have they just discontinued playing due to the lack of new content? I see that there a handful of members and guests floating around but the community appears fractured worse than the floating pieces of the Death Star a long time ago in a galaxy far far away.

From what I have observed the majority of the MXL community are just a bunch of users who don't really interact (or read apparantly) until they come onto the forums asking stupid questions that have entire wall'o text posts stickied explaining in leyman's terms how to finish them. For example: "hurr durr how do I do the lvl 0 challenge" "what are the cube recipes" "where's the horadric staff, Halls of Dead lvl 3 is different now" Hitting a Wall 

Is there hope for MXL players when SIGMA finally drops or will it just be kicking a dead horse? (I have hope don't get me wrong) Praying 
Should I just forget singleplayer and join multiplayer? Lurking 

Also, what do the rest of you think in terms of the future for Median, multiplayer vs singleplayer, and my semi pointless post because no matter what I'll still play MXLU seeing as it's my first time. Smile 
Lastly, what information should I know about the game, community, or anything else in general?  Question

ApolloAnyday
Hungry Dead

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: What's happening in Median?

Post by munkyh3ad on Tue Mar 25, 2014 1:34 pm

MXLU will be here for more time than you can imagine. SIGMA is still far away, trust me it's better to not even think about it this year. Why? Whist is working on and off on SIGMA, and right now Marco has an innate passive skill [modding MXLU], so he often does patches and comes with new/changed content. While ubers get more attention by him and thus need more strategy by players you can figure this is what the community discusses most, the thing with characters is there is not much change, mostly some skill twix (mars, snickers, whatever), so guides are still good to follow, roughly.

Personally i advise you to play SP until you are well acquainted with the game, ubers, monsters, gear, etc and then go MP for the extra (MP only) content and play with friends/community.

What in my opinion is best to have for SP is:
0) D2LOD, patched to v1.13c (no more no less) + PlugY from here http://www.medianxl.com/t109-plugy-the-survival-kit-v100
1) D2SE, so you can have MXLU, cLOD, other mods (maybe in the far future SIGMA) http://www.medianxl.com/t110-d2se-modmanager
2) MXLUtility, for extra info (monster immunity value, other small customizable aesthetics) http://www.medianxl.com/t116-113c-mxl-utility-12?highlight=mxl+utility
3) The great and mighty docs, almost all info is compiled here: http://www.medianxl.com/t3217-mxl-u-xiv-docs-v292

What i think you shouldn't use is:
0) D2Clicker (well you can use it, but it's better to train your transmuting skill speed yourself) http://www.medianxl.com/t111-d2clicker
1) D2Multires (i consider it cheating, because you can see/attack monsters but then can't acknowledge you like in regular game)
2) MedianXL OfflineTools (while it has useful features regarding gear and stash, many other things i consider cheating so i don't use it)

But you can do whatever you want, it's just that in MP it doesn't work or can get you banned, so in MP just use D2SE (no PlugY no MXLutily no nothing).

munkyh3ad
Dark Lady

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Quirinus on Tue Mar 25, 2014 1:44 pm

1. It's less active because the ladder reset was a while ago. Every time there's a reset you see 350+ people online playing and the forum gets a lot more activity (plus there's the SP people). Also, not all who play post on the forum.

2. Many old guides are still applicable today as well (with slight changes), so that's one of the reasons why there's not many new. There is a new mini-guide topic where people post their short guides, you might want to check that out. Also, there's been a bunch of new misc guides (d2/mxlu mechanics, how to install stuff, etc.).

3. Yes, MXLU has used up a lot of the unique mechanics for bosses so it's kinda hard to add new unique content, the modding files for it are messy and many items are not balanced according to their tier (plus there's probably too many of them).

Sigma will be done from scratch (from the cLoD files) to avoid the mess, and the main thing is, it will have CODE EDITS, allowing for much more freedom and scope of mechanics and concepts. (thank whist for them) Plus a new visual style. There's a forum section for updates and screenshots from Sigma, so you can check there (there's a lot of nice screenshots and ideas there).

Many many players are waiting for Sigma, but it won't be done soon. Marco keeps people happy and busy by adding new content to Ultimative in the meanwhile. (plus it's a good training sandbox for him to develop skills which are going to be very useful for Sigma)

I'd always suggest multiplayer, it's a lot more fun experience, and less frustrating (except maybe if you have lag), there's people to help you there with items, advice or helping you do quests/ubers or level you up. There's also some realm only items and contests. You'll learn things a lot faster in multiplayer.

Don't worry about the future, it's going to be good. If you compare the MXL:U scene to what it was just a year ago, you'll see we have more servers (thanks to the lovely server hosts <3), more people and more MXL:U stuff. Smile

Plus, MXL has been around a lot longer than MXL:U has been, and it's always been popular and steady, that's why MXLU is going to be as well, considering Marco is doing a good job.

Quirinus
Creature of Flame

Bloody High Five
TGGood none

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by zaphodbrx on Tue Mar 25, 2014 2:14 pm

I play SP.

Advantages to playing SP:
-No lag/disconnect
-No random botters, hackers, dupe, trolls, newbs, laggers, etc. don't know what situation in MXL realm but there are always plenty in most online games
-Plugy = infinite stash = win
-No need for internet connection

Disadvantages:
-No MPers. I occasionally MP with my friend ( over TCP/IP ) but playing with strangers has never been my thing. However some of the quests are easier to complete with more people.
-No realm only items.

MXLU is fine for the most part as it is. Sigma can and probably will take a while.

zaphodbrx
Bane Hunter

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ApolloAnyday on Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:37 pm

Thanks for the replies guys, it's refreshing to see some genuine interest and care.  Salut 

@munkyh3ad wrote:
What in my opinion is best to have for SP is:
0) D2LOD, patched to v1.13c (no more no less) + PlugY from here http://www.medianxl.com/t109-plugy-the-survival-kit-v100
1) D2SE, so you can have MXLU, cLOD, other mods (maybe in the far future SIGMA) http://www.medianxl.com/t110-d2se-modmanager
2) MXLUtility, for extra info (monster immunity value, other small customizable aesthetics) http://www.medianxl.com/t116-113c-mxl-utility-12?highlight=mxl+utility
3) The great and mighty docs, almost all info is compiled here: http://www.medianxl.com/t3217-mxl-u-xiv-docs-v292

I already use all these with the exception of MXLUtility seeing as I couldn't find it although I saw a lot of people use it in Uber run videos and in their guides for ubers. I had the luxury of not being a prick and actually reading before I started playing so I guess I'm spoiled haha.

What other mods would you guys suggest? I've heard a few others, most notably Eastern Sun.

ApolloAnyday
Hungry Dead

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Jelle on Wed Mar 26, 2014 5:39 am

@ApolloAnyday wrote:I've been reading around the forums a bit trying to figure out where the community of Median is and what they're doing

Most of the players from original mxl are daydreaming of Laz comming back to Median (will never happen though) as Ultimative is very different from mxl. Marco's idea of fun is way different from what Laz considers fun - just looking at the latests posts from Laz really says it all:

@Brother Laz wrote:More like he's giving all single players the finger.

Oh well, run the mod into the ground, see if I care. GG.

@Brother Laz wrote:
@MarcoNecroX wrote:As for SP-play. Haven't really thought about it

FUCKING HELL.

@Brother Laz wrote:We should probably convince Marco to remove them again. I attended a number of interpersonal communication courses during the past year, so let me handle this:

HELLOOOO RETARD THERE'S A REASON I REMOVED THEM L2DESIGN NOBHEAD

Ahh, internet anonymity. <3

Also another reason might be the tone of this forum, which is one of the worst I've come across ever - it's filled with trolling, misguiding and arrogance (from a pack of regulars).  The best example coming to mind is a topic where the modmaker both misguided and made fun of a guy, simply because his English skills were very limited.

With that being said marco is doing a great job modmakingwise, but he is simply targetting another (and arguably much smaller) audience than Laz.

Jelle
Ice Clan

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by archon256 on Wed Mar 26, 2014 6:10 am

To be fair, the first two Laz quotes were from a comment he misread.
Here's Marco's response: http://www.medianxl.com/t4729p130-some-thoughts-and-questions-from-a-long-time-median-player#116508
Sounds reasonable to me, he wasn't saying he doesn't care about SP, just that he wasn't planning on removing unlimited respecs from SP because people can bypass it by backing up characters anyway.

The best example coming to mind is a topic where the modmaker both misguided and made fun of a guy, simply because his English skills were very limited.
I think that was just Marco trying to be sarcastic and brutal like Laz was. It does seem a lot more juvenile and misplaced when he does it though.

I fully agree with your last statement though.

archon256
Amazon Warrior

I Am Someone

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by pa5call on Wed Mar 26, 2014 10:39 am

@ApolloAnyday wrote:What's happening in Median?

It is getting actually better with every new patch…  Dancing No cheesing or AFK builds anymore…  Nope Smooth and enjoyable quest progression with Impossible Ubers at the end, granting the greatest satisfaction once successfully completed as only the “Gifted Few” will enjoy some of the charms. Could play within a herd of sheep before, copying OP builds with ease and no skill/brain. Now, you better be good if trying this mod  Cool

pa5call
Cathedral Drow

TGGood 7

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Metalistas on Wed Mar 26, 2014 10:53 am

Could play within a herd of sheep before, copying OP builds with ease and no skill/brain.

So which is the last inovative build you made ? Last one in guide section is about death shard necro which is 2013.11. Paladin and assassin got some changes, but i would not call them unique or inavative, just using other skill. People still copy the mainstream sucesful builds. And persistance > skill most of the time. Especially in MP. Rush into boss, hit him, die, rejoin, repeat - gg.

Metalistas
Goliath

TGBest Transferred

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by pa5call on Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:23 am

Well, Hell-No!  Smile I am playing anything but mainstream –but, at the same time,  I’m reluctant to share my unique builds as it gives me a small advantage imo –playing solo on realm only as well…  Cyclops Once a guide is made about successful skill/build, the obligatory nerf follows right away! –My main skill is combination of crafts, runewords and maybe one or two Sus… Did U know for example that ATMG lasts ~20sec and will continue to work even if U switch to …… (won’t tell ya!  Tongue ) –I’m sure U knew this, but ever exposed these possibilities to very limits?  Geek

pa5call
Cathedral Drow

TGGood 7

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum