Trophy hunting- results and tips

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Trophy hunting- results and tips

Post by zaphodbrx on Sun Mar 30, 2014 5:58 am

Hi All.
I would like to discuss trophy hunting, and what I have observed doing these runs. I don't claim that these are the ideal ways of doing this or that, just what I personally did. Additionally, the main motivation behind this to show what can be achieved without SSSSSSUs, Great runes, realm only secret items,etc. - see there are a bunch of videos in the showcase section, but that's the problem with them and why they don't help much. I only used what I found and didn't spend much time farming. A couple of key items really helped though.

So why should you do trophy farming? Well the main reason is to get the trophy obviously, but in addition to that, you also get a really good roll/perfect charm to cube it with. There's also lottery recipe ( which I don't care about personally, never much use it ), and some of the ubers also have really good drop rates. Duncraig is the most obvious one, you are mainly looking for SU/set items there and the trophy is just a bonus.

One word of advice though.. You should enjoy the uber itself, otherwise running it over and over make no sense. Because trophies and perfect charms are not that good really. I really enjoy ubers such as Ureh and Duncraig, that's why I did them so much.

Note: All the runs are in ultimative 13. I will also be making comparisons to classic (2012v005), where I did a bunch of trophy farming as well. Listing them in order of obtaining the trophies.

1. Tran Athualua: This one was done a really long time ago. Character was a barbarian with ancient's hand, bear stance and a bunch of lum runs socketed in his equipment. The changes in ultimative make it more difficult, and while I still like it, I don't think you should stay here longer than what it takes to get 15% charm and trophy. It's really not a farming place any more like in cMXL, because the drop rate seems to have plunged through the floor while difficulty level spiked through the roof. Head to Duncraig for magic finding instead.

Charm: Good roll ( 15% life ) with trophy. Pic.

Notable drop: SSSU Demon's arch, which I find very valuable for rapture oskill.

2. Judgement Day:
Character used: Thunderstone sorc with ice elementals ( elemental children set ). They tank very well and you can kill the avatars fast. Also, you don't need to restart or even resummon once an avatar is dead, just let them keep hitting your summons and continue that way. Got this one pretty fast.

Charm: Fully upgraded, one of the best ubercharms. Pic.

3. Akarat:
Character used: Mindflay paladin. Akarat is probably the easiest trophy to get. Summoning uber, so just summon over and over and easy to kill.

Charm: Perfect with trophy. Pic.

4. Aldric Jitan:
Character used: Thunderstone sorc with summons. Those summons can really tank with snow queen and warp armor bonus. Summon over and over - done.

Charm: Perfect with trophy. Pic.

5. Rathma's square:
Character used: Thunderstone sorc with summons. Run over there, teleport on right side, kill stuff, ignore scimitars, focus down boss, done. Got this one within the first few runs itself.

Charm: Good roll. Pic

6. Azmodan:

Character used: Melee sorc using mysteries set because I wanted something different. This quest is incredibly unreliable because of the variety in the number and types of elites that spawn. Bladestorm kills him quickly, but sometimes the elites makes it just impossible.

Charm: Perfect with trophy. Pic

7. Legacy of blood:

Character used: Barbarian with bear stance and shower of rock + defender spirit summons. Bear stance makes it that Bartuc loses his immunity and quickly dies, but the characters defense is really high and the golems need to hit in order to lose immunity. That's where summons come in, golems hit summons, and you can clear em out. This quest is boosted a lot in ultimative, in cMXL you could just spam banshee and be done in 2 sec. I got 95% fire res here, think it helped a lot.

8. Duncraig:

Character used: Barbarian with overkill and kraken stance, on weapon switch used thunder slam and snake stance. More details in a post here. Overall very enjoyable despite barrels, and good drops.

Charm: Near perfect ( fk assassins ) with trophy. Pic

Notable drop: The magic sword that makes Ureh fun and helps with Vizjun as well.

9. Vizjun:

Character used: Barbarian melee. This was the hardest one, and also the only trophy I hadn't got in cMXL. Basic strategy is to rush to MCS with rapture and wolf stance on ( sometimes using spin to win ), and try to purify it. If it doesn't succeed on the first try, it is a lot more difficult. Switch to eagle stance and SOR, try to clean up the monsters while purify cools down, and pray nukes don't kill you. My success rate here is about one in three runs, though the runs are very fast. I have an earlier video here, showing one fail and one easy run, and a later video showing some hard runs. The difficulty of this uber is highly variable because the MCS can be free/ easy to purify, or be surrounded by monsters, and nukes are very random.

Charm: The nature of this charm and trophy makes it very hard to get anywhere near perfect. Still good roll- Pic. This is the charm before cubing.

10. Kingdom of Shadow:

Character used: Barbarian melee. This is one of my favourite ubers when I have spin to win skill ( otherwise it's terribly difficult and annoying, though I still managed to do it once ). Strategy here is wolf stance through the first part, eagle stance through the narrow path, bear stance while fighting the boss to remove his resistance and kill him with SOR. This is also notably more difficult in ultimative, firstly due to darkwardens but mostly because the boss now casts freaking death spiral upon dying, when you need to town portal home to dodge it, but sometimes you can't and die so have to go back and pick up body. This part is really tricky and involves good positioning and timing, but my success rate here is over 90%, so it's not like Vizjun. Really like the atmosphere, wish it had better drops. Video

Trophies that I probably won't be aiming for and why:

Astrogha: Annoying to summon, annoying to kill and trophy has troll stats? ( 5 pierce = 2 mystic orbs ). Higher life charm may be nice but I have 307 life one and this quest is really not my thing.

Quov-Tsin: BORING!

Cathedral of vanity: Troll stats? Who wants 10% minion crap.

Kabraxis: Too hard/ GAY boss that takes 1 hour to kill.

Truine: Too hard/ GAY boss that takes 1 hour to kill + trophy has troll stats? 50% mf Lawl.

Brother Laz: I've not even done the quest yet.

Uldyssian: I've not even tried the quest yet.

Quests without trophy, but probably should be done more than once..

Tal Rasha- Easy to summon, easy to kill for perf. charm. So why didn't I do it yet? Cause I'm a lazy bum.

King Koth- Same as above, but I got a near perfect one on the first time.

Creature of flame- Would be nice to have a perf. one, didn't bother yet.

Island of Sunless Sea- 15% pierce would be nice but this quest is boosted so much in ultimative I feel like it's not worth the time. I did it twice and have 11%.

Belial - is a huge d!ck. I'm happy with my 294 life one just to not do this again. Interestingly I have 500 life one in cMXL - probably my best find.

Infernal machine- Charm is better in ultimative if you want to farm this but meh.

K3KBA- More for set items than the actual charm. Still, you'll probably get a perfect charm while farming it anyway.

Khalimgrad- If you want 10% stat boost but meh.

Bull prince rodeo- Probably the only heroic I have killed more than once. Variance on the stats and reanimate roll + UMO drop chance makes him a good target.

zaphodbrx
Bane Hunter

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Trophy hunting- results and tips

Post by archon256 on Sun Mar 30, 2014 7:14 am

I've farmed three trophies with my Fairy Ring (oskill on the Javelin elemental runeword, x4 psn runes)/Reanimate necro the last time I played, Akarat, Azmodan and Legacy of Blood.

Akarat is indeed very easy, as you say, and any trap build makes it trivial to farm. In my case I just spawned a bunch of reanimates with sacrifices to tank stray hammertimes and cast fairy ring on the rest of the corpses.

Azmodan is a lot easier with free reanimates to tank for you, especially with Devil Fang Totem and it's 100% reanimate chance.

Legacy of Blood was rough, since the Rathma priest reanimates cause the golems and Bartuc to get permaknocked back meaning they never drop their immunity shields and you need to wait till all the reanimates are dead.

archon256
Amazon Warrior

I Am Someone

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Metalistas on Sun Mar 30, 2014 7:40 am

Legacy of Blood is very easy with caster druid + acid fiends. Summon in the bottom corner, run up close to exit and spam fire elemental skill down at boss. It goes through the mobs and hits the wall making big explosions. Cast three/four times and exit up. Resummon if needed, go back, spam elemetal again. Go up, continue. Takes 5-7 times up and down but it is really easy and works wiht lone wolf set. Diamonds in weapon, cast jewels in other spots if you need, but not necessary.

For vizjun - melee necro with melee necro set. Set gives you towers. Goes like this:
Spoiler:

One point for space jumping, other points for parasite, leach, embalming and so on. Very easy and fun. Fast runs and easy farming. One of my favourites chars to play with Smile

Azmodan - very easy with lone wolf set druid. Same as above caster with summons. Use fire elemental as main skill. Depends on map roll, but i never teleport in there. Just go left/right if you see boss lock him with left button - elemental. If you don't see him, run down into corner and check for immunities drop. Right mouse button is left for pagan rites, resummons and poison avatar. Maybe luck dependant but also easy since elemental fire goes through mobs and hits boss while summons tank.

TA and K3K is very easy with barb as you said. Using gathering of tribes set and full tank build. Max bear stance, runemaster, mountain king, 3 wolves, rest of points go by +4 into ancient blood and +1 to you main skills. Spread your stats to get about 17k life, 1 mill defense and rest can go into str. 1 point in shower of rocks and you are good to go.

Metalistas
Goliath

TGBest Transferred

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by zaphodbrx on Sun Mar 30, 2014 7:54 am

I remember melee necro set being very underwelming due to a lack of DR%. That was in cMXL , maybe its different now. In any case, farming vizjun is a different thing from getting charm/trophy - for the latter you want to only be killing MCS, really.

Azmodan- If you do him with any elemental dmg build the problem is he is frequently immune because of spectral hit/magic resistant.

For bartuc it is important not to have any stun skill like thunderslam or thundergod. Reason is that the golems need to attack to drop immunity.

Thnx for replies, hope you enjoyed it.

zaphodbrx
Bane Hunter

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by RollsRoyce on Sun Mar 30, 2014 10:19 am

judgement day is alot harder now since bosses cast rathma chosen on themselfes ( it feels like it is when struck) so the mass summons strategy doesnt end up well

RollsRoyce
The Smith

롤스로이스 ☆☆☆☆
TGBest Transferred

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by iwansquall on Sun Mar 30, 2014 12:48 pm

They have %avoid now iirc.

iwansquall
Blood Golem

Underpowered Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by RollsRoyce on Sun Mar 30, 2014 1:03 pm

they have rathma chosen which is alot worse^^

RollsRoyce
The Smith

롤스로이스 ☆☆☆☆
TGBest Transferred

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by pa5call on Sun Mar 30, 2014 4:09 pm

...good readin' ...agree with everything  Smile 
+1

pa5call
Cathedral Drow

TGGood 7

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by amazon_fury on Sun Mar 30, 2014 5:04 pm

i farmed triune trophy with bowzon (takes 10-20 mins per kill, use barrage to kill bats), vizjun with javazon and judgementday with javazon and nec (nec cast sacrifices, zon use SoV to tank then spam fairy rings)  Santa Santa 

amazon_fury
Heretic

TGBest Transferred

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by TQer on Tue Apr 01, 2014 9:54 am

Hey, zaphodbrx: Kudos for this great thread that is a really nice help to newbies like me  Clap Clap !!!!!.

A personal comment that I do hope could be of help to you (or at least to someone else) about a thing you said on your post:

@zaphodbrx wrote:If it doesn't succeed on the first try, it is a lot more difficult. Switch to eagle stance and SOR, try to clean up the monsters while purify cools down, and pray nukes don't kill you.

I don´t know if that feature was changed on version XIV, as I´m still playing version XIII, but I find that Uber hilariously easy.
I completely agree with you on the point that probably the main danger you have to face there is that a nuke could explode close to where your toon is, but that danger is easily avoidable without any need to pray  Wink :
As inside Vizjun those "especial attacks" (mines, nukes, etc...) are casted depending on the place your toon is (for example, once you take the "path of the south", in the first narrow corridor inmediately after the entrance, every time you tread on that area mines will be released, etc....), the only thing you have to do is to avoid standing for a long time on the places where those nukes are casted once you "tread on them" and that is all.

For example, the problem you had on the first part of your video is that one of those "spots" that releases nukes is placed where the boss is, so if you stand there you have a high chance to die (as those spots are located always on the same places). What I do there is to wait slightly separated on the right of the boss, killing all the mobs, and once I have a pair of seconds of tranquility I cast purify from afar instead of casting it next to the boss.

About Belial: well, I'm probably the last person to give advices to overcome both as I´m still a newbie that needs to try different methods to tests which works better....and now I´m more focused on leveling up new toons rather that improving my tactics to overcome Ubers. But just in case, and again hope that it could be of help to someone....at least to know how things shouldn´t be done  Very Happy !!!!!:

(and again I ignore if this area has been changed on version XIV). Icy cellars consist basically on a big isle placed at the center (with a big wall in the middle of it), and grounds placed at the outermost part, comumicated with the "central isle" by bridges. What I do there is summon belial at the outermost part and teleport to the central isle so then the little rats won´t annoy me during the battle. And the rest is just to run in circles using the "wall in the center" as a shield, and if the attack casted by Belial that leaves you with 1hp hits you, I just teleport away from the central isle to the closest outermost part waiting for my toon to be heal, and once that has happened, I enter the ring again.

If you want to make that fight a complete cakewalk, what you can do as well is to use an Unholy Paladin so Symphony of Destruction will take care of everything while you are running in circles on the central isle.

TQer
Son of Lucion

Forum Human Rights Activist/TQ Lord

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum