Not sure how I should play this game

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Not sure how I should play this game

Post by yunchang on Sun May 04, 2014 6:12 am

I've been reading guides and watching videos and deleted 10 characters. So far I am very impressed by this mod and I can't wait to play more. However, I am having difficulty finding a guide that I can follow for my first playthrough. And, after reading the FAQ, it seems like I should not follow a "guide" and just play. But my biggest worry is that I will miss many things. I would never have known about the LC0 and character orbs, recipes, etc. if I did not follow a guide I found on this site. I have never played Diablo 2, so I am completely new to this game. Is it okay for me to just not follow a build and just play?

I really want to play paladin, but many of the builds here are old and they are not newbie friendly.

Thank you!

yunchang
Desert Cat

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Not sure how I should play this game

Post by Metalistas on Sun May 04, 2014 6:24 am

Well, i'd say if you are completely new to Diablo2 then:
1. There are three difficulties in the game, you start in the easiest one. After you beat it, you can choose the tougher one. With harder mobs and penalty to resistances.
2. I'd recomend you beat the first difficulty no matter what you read in guides. Just so you know the 5 acts, the bosses, the quests and what will happen.
3. After this you can read DOCS/guides about challenges and ubers.

Metalistas
Goliath

TGBest Transferred

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by yunchang on Sun May 04, 2014 7:06 am

@Metalistas wrote:Well, i'd say if you are completely new to Diablo2 then:
1. There are three difficulties in the game, you start in the easiest one. After you beat it, you can choose the tougher one. With harder mobs and penalty to resistances.
2. I'd recomend you beat the first difficulty no matter what you read in guides. Just so you know the 5 acts, the bosses, the quests and what will happen.
3. After this you can read DOCS/guides about challenges and ubers.

thanks man! yeah I think I spent more time reading than playing. so now I will just pick a class and do my best and beat the game at least once.

I am going to use paladin and play holy melee!

yunchang
Desert Cat

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Metalistas on Sun May 04, 2014 8:22 am

Ony easy way to make a decision - get to level 24 and unlock all skills in the trees you have choosen. This should not take much time and 1 point into each skill helps you to see what skill actually does and if you like it or not. Of course later in game you put more points in skills and they get more power, but you get the good starting idea how skill works, the cooldowns, the area wide and so on.
Reading is a key most of the time here. But reading is worthless if you are not try in practise the stuff you have read.

Metalistas
Goliath

TGBest Transferred

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Quirinus on Sun May 04, 2014 12:19 pm

The best suggestion/advice I can give you is to go play online and fine some nice people that will help you and play with you. It's much faster/easier to learn and advance in the game that way, and probably more fun too.

The documentation will help you a lot:
http://mxl.vn.cz/doc/

The only things you can miss is LC0, LC1, Ennead and LC2, as they have a maximum level limit. Everything else you can do whenever you want. Don't worry too much about Level Challenges even if you miss them, getting a new character to level 90 and doing all the challenges is considered just the very beginning of the game and it doesn't take too much to do it once you get used to it a bit. (Playing online helps a lot with this, as people often help each other with Level Challenges. If you're playing with other people but didn't do the Level Challenges in time, other lower level people can do them for you (with help from a higher level character) and then give you the upgraded charms.)

I'm not sure if you know, but you can reset your stats and skills, you don't need to start all over if you want to change something. Here's the cube recipe:

Oil of Absolution (buy in shop) + rune (find one) → Belladonna Elixir (drink it)

Here's the Quest Reference list from the documentation:
http://mxl.vn.cz/doc/MXLU_vXIV_Doc_v2.92/quests.html

It is a short list and description of quests, challenges, uberquests and similar. Only the quests that give you some actually useful bonus are listed. If you turn on the "Level limited only:" it will show you the 4 challenges that I wrote above and that are level limited.

If you ask me, I'd suggest a melee barbarian for the starting character. He's tanky, does good damage and is quite versatile at the start. You'd probably die less than with other builds. He's quite good for farming items and doing like 70% of ubers later on too.

Keep in mind that this mod is quite a bit harder than D2 (even people that are already 'good' at D2 sometimes have trouble playing MXL:U), so just take it slow and enjoy it. If you get stuck, check your skills and gear and try to change/improve something. Ask for help on the forum.

If you have questions, post in this topic or use the Short Questions Thread:
http://www.medianxl.com/t4987-short-questions-thread

Quirinus
Creature of Flame

Bloody High Five
TGGood none

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Myth0s on Sun May 04, 2014 1:04 pm

A korean that sucks at Diablo?
Ok, the world IS coming to an end.

Myth0s
Que-Hegan

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by radament on Sun May 04, 2014 3:26 pm

As first char i recommend this --> Kickstarter Sin

but you must accept the deaths and do not rageuninstall like me when i die a lot...
if you die a lot , just stop for a sec and think about the cause of it....res? armor? mid terror too stronk? life?
the good thing about that guide is that it takes you by hand and it brings you to most of the uberlevels from 0.

documentation is really important for a new median player , read all , yes all because even if you play a lot you miss something that you didn't know.

radament
Darkwarden

View user profile http://c-rpg.net/index.php?page=login

Back to top Go down

Post by yunchang on Sun May 04, 2014 5:04 pm

edit

Last edited by yunchang on Sun May 04, 2014 5:05 pm; edited 1 time in total

yunchang
Desert Cat

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by yunchang on Sun May 04, 2014 5:05 pm

this is awesome. I feel less intimidated by this huge game. thanks a lot this really helps me.

I haven't played Diablo 2 before but I put many hours into Reaper of Souls and PoE. RoS was boring but this game is as fun as when I first played PoE, the LC0 hooked me in! hope to fight more cool bosses later on.

@Quirinus wrote:The best suggestion/advice I can give you is to go play online and fine some nice people that will help you and play with you. It's much faster/easier to learn and advance in the game that way, and probably more fun too.

The documentation will help you a lot:
http://mxl.vn.cz/doc/

The only things you can miss is LC0, LC1, Ennead and LC2, as they have a maximum level limit. Everything else you can do whenever you want. Don't worry too much about Level Challenges even if you miss them, getting a new character to level 90 and doing all the challenges is considered just the very beginning of the game and it doesn't take too much to do it once you get used to it a bit. (Playing online helps a lot with this, as people often help each other with Level Challenges. If you're playing with other people but didn't do the Level Challenges in time, other lower level people can do them for you (with help from a higher level character) and then give you the upgraded charms.)

I'm not sure if you know, but you can reset your stats and skills, you don't need to start all over if you want to change something. Here's the cube recipe:

Oil of Absolution (buy in shop) + rune (find one) → Belladonna Elixir (drink it)

Here's the Quest Reference list from the documentation:
http://mxl.vn.cz/doc/MXLU_vXIV_Doc_v2.92/quests.html

It is a short list and description of quests, challenges, uberquests and similar. Only the quests that give you some actually useful bonus are listed. If you turn on the "Level limited only:" it will show you the 4 challenges that I wrote above and that are level limited.

If you ask me, I'd suggest a melee barbarian for the starting character. He's tanky, does good damage and is quite versatile at the start. You'd probably die less than with other builds. He's quite good for farming items and doing like 70% of ubers later on too.

Keep in mind that this mod is quite a bit harder than D2 (even people that are already 'good' at D2 sometimes have trouble playing MXL:U), so just take it slow and enjoy it. If you get stuck, check your skills and gear and try to change/improve something. Ask for help on the forum.

If you have questions, post in this topic or use the Short Questions Thread:
http://www.medianxl.com/t4987-short-questions-thread

yunchang
Desert Cat

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by yunchang on Sun May 04, 2014 5:08 pm

@radament wrote:As first char i recommend this --> Kickstarter Sin

but you must accept the deaths and do not rageuninstall like me when i die a lot...
if you die a lot , just stop for a sec and think about the cause of it....res? armor? mid terror too stronk? life?
the good thing about that guide is that it takes you by hand and it brings you to most of the uberlevels from 0.

documentation is really important for a new median player , read all , yes all because even if you play a lot you miss something that you didn't know.

thanks for the tip!

yunchang
Desert Cat

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum