Assassin - Vampiric Icon / Blink mechanics?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Assassin - Vampiric Icon / Blink mechanics?

Post by SirBananafeller on Sun May 11, 2014 12:14 pm

Hey guys,

during a Let's Plays series I started a while ago (totally shameless self-commercial Embarassed )
I stumbled upon a question about how Vampiric Icon combined with Blink works.

The VI flames don't do any damage, but they hit monsters every few frames, where the leech kicks in.

For what I could observe:
If I stun an enemy (Blink) and then cast the VI, life leech works fine.
If I VI an enemy (leech works) I cannot immediately stun the monster with blink.

Is it the mechanic of Blink, that doesn't let me stun the monster, or is this related to VI?

My first thought was, that this has to do with Next-Hit-Delay frames.
Though I can hit monsters that are standing inside those flames, with any other attacks than Blink.

Any Input on this is welcome.

SirBananafeller
Balrog

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Assassin - Vampiric Icon / Blink mechanics?

Post by Quirinus on Sun May 11, 2014 1:50 pm

Yea, I think it's ND as well.

If I read the Next Delay & WDM list correctly, VI has a ND of 25, and Blink 5.

That would suggest that after VI affects the monster, 25 frames (1 sec) have to pass until skills with ND, like for example Blink, can affect the monster. While Blink has only 5/25 of a sec instead of a whole 1 sec, so it seems that VI can affect the monster 'immediately' after Blink.

During that time only skills with no ND can affect the monster (and possibly damage from wdm attacks/missiles?).

Quirinus
Creature of Flame

Bloody High Five
TGGood none

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by SirBananafeller on Sun May 11, 2014 3:00 pm

OK, thanks for helping me out with that one.

I wasn't aware, that during ND frames, non-ND Attacks can hit, while any other ND-Attacks can't.
(Gotta have a look at the ND-List then)

Regarding VI that probably means, that it's near impossible to get a ND attack in, while monsters stand in the flames, for flames deal damage every frame, correct?
(maybe if you can time an attack to hit right on the 26th frame, simultaneously with the next hit of VI, if that is even possible)

SirBananafeller
Balrog

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Quirinus on Sun May 11, 2014 3:10 pm

You're welcome.

That's one of the reasons why, for example, barb Stormblast (, 100% physical to lightning conversion, melee triggered, many missiles with no ND) is such a great skill, because it can hit monsters while they have ND from other skills.

Yea, I think so. I guess it's best to cast VI on monsters you're not trying to kill immediately.

I'm not sure, but maybe if the damage from a ND skill has a WDM component, it might do damage, but no additional effects - but someone would have to confirm/deny that or test. It probably can't...

Quirinus
Creature of Flame

Bloody High Five
TGGood none

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum