Protect net neutrality in the U.S.!

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Protect net neutrality in the U.S.!

Post by RadRoach44 on Sun May 18, 2014 4:33 am

The FCC has now begun receiving opinion regarding the actions taken by them to "protect net neutrality", and you may find the link below.

This could be detrimental to our very livelihood as internet dwellers in the United States due to ISP (Internet Service Providers) attempting, yet again,    to drain your wallet, and stuff it into the already overflowing bank accounts of ISP CEOs. They wish to demolish the standard set in the early years of the internet of a flat-rate payment for unlimited internet, and instead propose to create data caps for amount paid, then charge the fuck out of you once you go over. This will prevent people from accessing sites such as: Netflix, Youtube, Facebook, Twitter, Tumblr, etc... due the massive amounts of data being used by them. If the ISPs get their way, it could mean the end of the internet we once loved.

I say NO Nope 2 , and a hundred-thousand Americans already agree with me. Please, I implore you to fill out a form (which can be found by clicking the link) to help protect the rights of American citizens, even if you are not one yourself. I promise, it will only take 5 minutes of your time, and I (along with ALL Americans) would be immensely grateful if you decide to do so. You only have a window in which these comments may be taken into consideration so please hurry, and Thank You! Very Happy 
http://apps.fcc.gov/ecfs/upload/display?z=yinmv

RadRoach44
Fallen One

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Protect net neutrality in the U.S.!

Post by The Big Ouchy on Sun May 18, 2014 4:26 pm

Does the bill they proposed actually say anything about allowing them to impose data caps? I had just heard that some douche exec over at Comcast thinks it's a good idea and that they're in the testing stage in certain southern markets already. It's really just a way for them to scare people with the thought of overages so they can make you pay "just a little more" for "the benefit of unlimited access" that used to be the standard. It's a very un-cleverly disguised price hike. They'll probably go bankrupt when Google's internet service becomes more widespread anyways.

I'm definitely opposed to the idea of fast lanes for certain websites that pay for it. Whenever a company has to pay more for something (and it will end up spoken of in that vernacular as it will be mandatory for them in order to stay competitive) the cost just gets passed onto the consumer anyway. Even though the FCC says they want to make sure it doesn't end up with certain websites getting relegated to "slow lanes" anything that isn't a fast lane will by contract appear to be a slow lane, causing upstarts and other websites to get skull fucked by the glory that is our free market. Hail corporate freedom!

The Big Ouchy
Bear Shaman

More brilliant than Chuck Noris!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by RadRoach44 on Mon May 19, 2014 3:06 am

From what I have heard and read, even if they decide not to impose data caps, they will force consumers to pay extra for the use of websites that use a lot of bandwidth, indirectly producing massive changes to our modern-American way of life such as; the removal of free WiFi by companies due to the massive fees imposed upon them, and the same will go for most (primarily public) schools because they already lack the wealth for a lot of things they already need, and they just won't be able to afford to let students venture into the web, aside from a possible few websites.

Regardless, whether it is meant in good intentions, or otherwise, it can't hurt anything to voice your opinion (and warn them of the potential for abuse), while they are reading them (which I believe the deadline is sometime in September).

RadRoach44
Fallen One

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Penguinchacha on Tue May 20, 2014 3:08 am

this gives me an idea....... Twisted Evil

Penguinchacha
Hungry Dead

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by taem on Tue May 20, 2014 4:10 am

Lucky for you, I wrote up something about this. Watch the short video linked to by the other forum member for a simple and concise answer to your questions: LINK HERE

taem
Dark Nephalem

View user profile https://sites.google.com/site/monkeymeatsauce/

Back to top Go down

Post by Will on Tue May 20, 2014 10:30 am

Quite a serious issue. Will give cookie tomorrow or some tg just ask

Will
Talic

Mr. Generosity/Former Forumer & Freak :)
TGBest Transferred

View user profile http://medianxl.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Thall on Thu Jun 19, 2014 8:14 pm

I wish people in here in New Zealand gave more of a shit about the standard of the internet. A few years back my dad was paying 70NZD a month for a slow connection that got capped at 7 gigs a month. Unlimited plans here are so expensive and most of them are throttled severely, so if you actually want decent speeds you have to live with a cap. gg ISPs.

Thall
Bloody Butcher

We March For Macragge!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Asteroth on Thu Jun 19, 2014 9:00 pm

John Oliver tackles net neutrality in an utterly hilarious video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fpbOEoRrHyU&feature=kp

Asteroth
Hardliner

Well-Sourced Debater