Why is the Diablo 2 engine like that?

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Why is the Diablo 2 engine like that?

Post by void on Mon May 26, 2014 3:18 pm

I've now heard several times that the Diablo 2 engine has certain limitations to it.
New games with much higher system requirements can be run flawlessly on most computers, while a game from the last millennium has problems keeping up with a few sprites on screen. I could imagine it has to do with the time when the game was made. Computers have been pretty slow 15 years ago, so it would make sense to program differently than nowadays.

Really, I want to know why the game handles its graphics the way it does.
But if it were easy to fix, somebody somewhere would probably have done that a long time ago. :wall:So why wasn't it fixed in all these years?
I hope somebody knows.
I'm not scared if you get technical. Salut

/e: I'm getting the feeling this is more general Diablo 2 related than Median XL specific. If the mods agree: Please move. Compress 

void
Prince Albrecht

Cool Font Guy
TGBest Transferred

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Why is the Diablo 2 engine like that?

Post by taem on Mon May 26, 2014 4:48 pm

Short answer is 2d image using SPRITES made to look like a 3d image, versus modern day gfx that actually use 3d images to render their gfx. If d2 was built on a 3d engine, it would not be having issues.

taem
Dark Nephalem

View user profile https://sites.google.com/site/monkeymeatsauce/

Back to top Go down

Post by romanN1 on Mon May 26, 2014 4:54 pm

Maybe blizzard will release a patch to solve that problem Very Happy.

romanN1
The Smith

Mr. Nice Guy

View user profile https://www.youtube.com/user/winstonjaegarn

Back to top Go down

Post by Aspirine101 on Mon May 26, 2014 5:01 pm

@romanN1 wrote:Maybe blizzard will release a patch to solve that problem Very Happy.
fixt

Aspirine101
Lord Primus

Islamic B&D Princess
TGGood None

View user profile http://lmgtfy.com/?q=median+xl.com

Back to top Go down

Post by void on Wed May 28, 2014 9:51 pm

@romanN1 wrote:Maybe blizzard will release a patch to solve that problem Very Happy.
It will probably never be fixed.
I simulated an engine with simple moving and flashing sprites yesterday.
When I had about 5000 on screen it became really laggy.
And we are talking about a simple program here, Diablo 2 does a lot more than showing some preassigned sprites.

What a shame; one of the most successful games ever gets "lame" when it could should be awesome.

void
Prince Albrecht

Cool Font Guy
TGBest Transferred

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by MarcoNecroX on Wed May 28, 2014 11:40 pm

It is fixable (like everything), it simply requires a lot of work - aka re-coding a HUGE part of the game.
If blizzard released their source code, this would most likely be a simple fix and have godlike results. But blizz wouldn't make any $$$ from that, so why would they?

MarcoNecroX
Malthael

Führer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sexen on Thu May 29, 2014 1:16 am

h4x that shit. I bet they really would for some money and an idea they supported. They are making next to nothing on d2 currently.

Sexen
Howling Spirit

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BornL33T on Thu May 29, 2014 3:03 am

We're suffering from the same issue in XWIS (officiel server for ra2/Yuri's revenge).
The game lags for most new gpu, old p2p net connection that causes delay, and it's full bugs/glitches, but this time EA killed the source code for good.

BornL33T
Trapped Soul

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by void on Fri May 30, 2014 4:23 pm

@Sexen wrote:They are making next to nothing on d2 currently.
Maybe in 2015. Twisted Evil 

I don't know how far modders can see into the code, but the core should be in an exe file, which might require extreme measures to modify.
The pain it would be to do that aside, I doubt it would be legally tolerable to do so anyway.
One thing for sure: Blizzard has Diablo 3 now, for which an expansion was recently released. Fixing anything major in D2 would mean for them to indirectly say that Diablo 3 is the inferior game. That in turn would be bad for publicity. And if you guys bought Diablo 3 on its release date, you know how important publicity is for sales. Colored 

We will probably have to live with the fact that certain things won't happen in the game, because e.g. using more than 30 summons would technically be possible, but it's just too much of a bother to wait through it all. Hitting a Wall
On the plus side though, you can go eat lunch while your army kills that 1 monster.
And while you go on vacation, your summoner necromancer will take afk care of MarcoNecroX! (Maybe)

void
Prince Albrecht

Cool Font Guy
TGBest Transferred

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by taem on Fri May 30, 2014 4:36 pm

No one "sees into the code". You got it wrong. In layman's terms, they can see whats being used in memory and by manipulating those functions, they can alter the game, but the process is long and tedious to backwards engineer code. Having the source would allow them to do anything to the game, and once the language was learned (probably a modified c+/asm engine), they could do it quickly. And this has nothing at all to do with summons, so I'm not sure what gave you that idea, lol!

taem
Dark Nephalem

View user profile https://sites.google.com/site/monkeymeatsauce/

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum