SirBananafeller plays MXL - Taking in Votes on next Char

Page 3 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: SirBananafeller plays MXL - Taking in Votes on next Char

Post by SirBananafeller on Sat Jun 07, 2014 9:20 am

Hey Guys,

unfortunately (or fortunately, we'll see) my Harddrive crashed and deleted my last weeks footage.
I recorded one new Reanimator Video to see if my new recording and editing setup is fine, this will go up probably tomorrow.

Looks like the Paladin won the most votes, so starting next week I'll probably begin recording videos with the new Characters.
Paladin - fix
Reanimator - until I chose a second char (I plan on doing Act4 whole, and Act5 summarized)

Also JetSon - One vote for Throwing Barb, as you want to see him Smile

SirBananafeller
Balrog

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by void on Sat Jun 07, 2014 9:59 am

@SirBananafeller wrote:Hey Guys,

unfortunately (or fortunately, we'll see) my Harddrive crashed and deleted my last weeks footage.
What? No Baal fight?! Shocked 
I was so excited to see that!
The previous video was such a cliffhanger too. Bouncing

void
Prince Albrecht

Cool Font Guy
TGBest Transferred

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by SirBananafeller on Sat Jun 07, 2014 11:58 am

I lost like 1,5h of recording Material on this Baal fight, trying different strategies, setups, skills because the constant poison immunity + random other ones dropping is just a killer for the ViperSniper

here's what I tried so far:

• Phase Bomb + Singularity
  • Phase Bomb + Lightning / Fire Sentry
  • Stormcrows + Wychwind + Procs

After like a total of 2 hours I got Baal down to ~70 or 80% health that way.
Not being able to tank (also tried merc, haven't tried oSkill minions) makes this fight really just tedious. Because the desired hit has to match the lost immunity (and he moves really fast)

Gotta collect some motivation if I want to repeat that whole process, that's why I'd like to try some other Characters for the moment. Maybe if I can get some input on you guys, I can try out some more strategies.
For example, I don't know if buffing up Phase Bomb, increasing the skill level will help with reducing the immunities and hence opening more windows to get damage in.

SirBananafeller
Balrog

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by archon256 on Sat Jun 07, 2014 6:04 pm

Just going through some of the ViperSniper videos, now there's a build I haven't seen in years. Very Happy

I see you've gone with the "pure" ViperSniper approach where you only use a single-target Scorpion Blade (no bonus knives from Malestrom synergy) and only using other skills against poison immunes after killing all the other enemies one by one with SB. That is a bit too much for me, lol.

You say that the build is a bit slow, but that's a huge understatement. It's incredibly slow by any measure, even in clearing non-elite packs. Wanting to stick to a sniper theme is well and good, but you can do things to clear up your kill speed a lot even so.

First and most obvious I would definitely get the bonus knives from Maelstrom. SB won't be a single target skill anymore, but you're still a sniper shooting things from far away.
Secondly I would use on-kill procs to clear mobs faster. For example the Chrysoplea (Thule) RW throwing knife has Carpet of Spiders proc, Naiad (Lai) one has Glacial Nova and Burlesque (Taha) has Magic Missiles. Also Hades Gate* proc on Ligeia RW sin shield can spread WotS poison very well. This way you get a huge payoff when you snipe a single enemy.
Thirdly I would rethink your plan against poison immunes. Wanting to kill all the other enemies one by one with SB is slowing you down greatly. I would use something like traps (fire/cold/light) on RMB in conjunction with SB  on LMB so you're doing both types of damage at the same time - you drop a trap, the trap does its elemental damage and at the same time you do your poison damage. I think Limpet Laser fits thematically, it's also a long-range sniper-type skill. Think of it as your sniper setting up turrets to assist herself.

Lastly I see you're using the Blink -> Singularity combo a lot. As you should be able to tell, that is also slowing you down a lot because of how the timers interact. It's a good skill to use against bosses but really overkill against most poison immunes. It also doesn't fit the sniper theme.

One last thing, can you link your gear and skill tree in the video descriptions? That will be really helpful. Smile

*Back when I did my Viper Sniper Hades Gate was an active skill. I used it like you're using Blink now, after killing the first monster with SB. You could permanently KB enemies spamming Hades Gate while the poison from WotS and SB slowly killed them. I farmed Duncraig main rooms almost naked that way, lol.

Edit: BTW, how does the damage of WotS compare to that of SB when both are maxed? If it's negligible it might make more sense to max Tiefling morph instead for the increased cast speed (more traps, less time to tag every monster with SB) and HP.

archon256
Amazon Warrior

I Am Someone

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by SirBananafeller on Sun Jun 08, 2014 9:42 am

Hey archon,

thanks for the feedback. Seems like many people enjoy playing and watching this build. Reminds me back to Median 2008 and MXL beginnings where I wrote some really detailed guides to the ViperSniper. I was astouned at the amount of positive reactions (as I am again now) as I figured this is more of a niche build.

It looks like viewers would really like to see me using multiple knives, although I'm a big fan of purism. Mr Green
This will require a little bit of a setup, but it sure is about to be happening.

Your other points really make me want to try out some stuff again Smile
Chrysopelea is an awesome weapon, that you can get early on, and in fact I did use this for 80% of terror and hatred. The proc-chains that go off can take out mobs really well. (Ever tried beacon + chryso in a tight packed spot, like K3kbA?) Dunno why I didn't show that one off yet, it's still in the stash.
Problem is, I am too lazy to get myself a really good runeword out of it, so I switched to Death Touch (skills, extra poison-dam, -poison resist and SB on kill) which is a nice allrounder.
The other ones I haven't tried yet, Naiad seems useful, Burlesque I can't try, don't own any great runes Razz

For killing immunes, I can see how well Limpet Laser works, versus Singularity. Singularity is just sooo strong as a one-pointer.

BTW in my old times I also loved using HadesGate, especially in combination with Ligeia RW (HG Proc on kill) wildly teleporting around. By now I prefer the RIP modifier (again for purism, and totally diabling Clan-Monsters), although you can't HG the corpses then, Proc won't work.

And yes, I played the totally purist then, using only Scorpion Blade and Shadow Blade (unfortunately mana cost is sooo high now). + I cleared the Duncraig main rooms with this Setup. Took like forever though Razz

As for your Question about the Poison damages (as displayed in Skill Descriptions):
WotS: 8.75 K/s
SB: 15.75 K/s

This is with 26 hard and 17 skill points through items and 180% poison damage (affects Scorpion Blade, although a weapon skill)

SB with one skill Point only is 8.25 K/s (WotS maxed), roughly 30% less damage.

These numbers are way away from what is possible, as my gear is totally not optimized. I think I didn't put any effort in upgrading when I started into Destruction.

I probably could get a lot of skill points, if I allocated them a little better (Perfect Being, Blink)
Without putting points into Maelstrom I had like 20 points left, so Tiefling might be an option.

Thanks for all your suggestions, I will see what I can make out of those.

SirBananafeller
Balrog

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by axios on Tue Jun 17, 2014 7:24 pm

well deserved cookie!!! one of the few serious mxl let's plays
Let's show this guy some love!

axios
Slain Soul

weaK

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by SirBananafeller on Sat Jun 21, 2014 4:00 pm

Thanks guys,
I really like cookies, we still need an emoticon for that  Razz 
(btw, for quite a while my nickname in RL was cookie monster ^^ )

Necro has completed Act4, so next week Paladin will probably start.

SirBananafeller
Balrog

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Phalanxia on Sun Jun 22, 2014 2:59 pm

Added it to the collectors addition, it would make sense to have at least one lp on there and you are using an interesting approach.

Phalanxia
Ice Clan

TGBest Transferred

View user profile http://rockstorm-games.net/dws/the-game/team/

Back to top Go down

Post by JetSon on Thu Jun 26, 2014 5:55 am

Summon barb. Please. It's a really nice char. Barb is very nice char for starting charms and such. Do walk thrus with you charms. Marco taught me a old build that worked really well for barb. Get a hold of a tu balanced axe and start maxing fortress. Find tu Gothic plate. Tu assault or avenger guard. Lion paw or death spur. I love seeing people play. I'm currently out of a pc and I want to play badly. When I get my pc I'll be making walk through via the sin war. I love this mod and I love this community just as much. I've met a great number of players all around the world. I wanna see more people doing what banana does. If I had a cookie brother of give you one.

JetSon
Asatruar

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Westville on Thu Jun 26, 2014 7:06 am

Blood zon or holy pally ( either type)

Westville
Arachnida

Ace of Spades
TGBest Transferred

View user profile