What did making COTWs unsocketable "really" did (a discussion)

Page 6 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: What did making COTWs unsocketable "really" did (a discussion)

Post by gg2 on Thu Sep 25, 2014 3:27 am

It is area based
It use FCR but you can't spam it so it's irrelevant.
Soft points increase the duration of it (btw the skill reduces resist by 40 and can break immunities if you didn't know)
Hard point decrease the spell timer (wich will be 10 second without any hard point (-0.2sec per hard point))
I believe it would stack with Phase bomb; I don't see any reason whynot.

gg2
Scaled Mutant

Marco's Favorite

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Nunger on Thu Sep 25, 2014 3:35 am

Thanks gg, if I knew how to give cookies, I'd give you one.

Seems like it could be quite useful for killing astrogha a bit faster, but 10 second lockout on blink will be a bit rough. Might put it in an SU I'm wearing that I have two off!

Nunger
Hivehost

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by gg2 on Thu Sep 25, 2014 3:41 am

You need to have at least 1 cookie to give cookies. I just gave you one so, good luck on your cookie journey.

On the right of ppl posts, you will see a (+) and a (-)
That's (+) how you give cookies to cool kids (like me)
And you use (-) to remove cookies from dumb people such as Aspirine and Whist.

gg2
Scaled Mutant

Marco's Favorite

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Nunger on Thu Sep 25, 2014 3:53 am

Haha, all the advice, even giving me the heads up on Aspirine and Whist, I'll keep an eye out for their neg worthy posts. So helpful!

Cookie as promised!

Nunger
Hivehost

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by supernolanbeta on Thu Sep 25, 2014 5:59 am

@MarcoNecroX wrote:
The no unsocketing change has removed a lot of the joy which once was when finding a ctow. Before when I found a ctow, even if it sucked I had good fun for a while just fooling around with it, testing it on different items and builds and just showing off to others the fact that I can use his skill that no one else of this class can use.

Now you find a cotw and your like cool....umm...this might be good with ___ but ....I wonder how much the hard skill points matter.....wonder what the duration of that would be with all my buff dur....wonder how well that would combo with skill ____ wonder if the dmg of that would be good enough on ____ build....wonder...wonder...only one chance to get it right...give up...cotw still I stash a year later.

Isn't that a contradiction? When cotws were unsocketable you wanted them to show off and be cool. But now that they are not, you want to use them properly. It doesn't make sense.

The "stash it forever" argument is probably the less convincing one in this thread so far. You are basically showing your frustration on not being able to switch it from item to item so you decide to not use it at all. Great.

Forgive my poor explanation. What I was trying to say is that the freedom of being able to move cotw from gear to gear made having even bad cotw fun. Just from testing it in various builds and gear. Of course useful cotw were also fun and we could use them seriously before also. But because of the freedom and no chance of destroying or devaluing it, it was a delight to find and experiment with any cotw.
But now you have this fear of making a destroying or devaluing mistake hovering over your shoulder. yes you can argue just put it in any usable item. Something that could be used by any class. But what to put in the other sockets also depends on the build and char it should be used on. And depending on the build and class, the gear choice you made to put the cotw in may have to replace a key piece of gear if moved to another build/class. If i think it will be good on zon so i put in boots with 3 p amethysts and then realize that I should use this on my barb after testing it, I have lost 3 ohm runes and gained 3 p amethysts on a vit runemaster build.. then its not much of a win, I may have lost as much as I have gained. Not to mention I probably don't prefer the same boots on both chars so I would have to use boots I dont really want to. So even doing that you could lose a lot of value you could have had if you had made the right choice in the first place.

So I disagree with the "just try it on an 'useable' item. If it's good then you win" . I dont think there is a guaranteed win choice like this. You have a tuff choice to make. So the cotw finder will have this fear of destroying or devaluing it and will therefore be very reserved in using it.  which is why the talk of "it might never end up being used" comes up.

So Im just saying before it was fun to find any cotw, now its even stressful as you are forced to make a hard decision which may have harsh consequences.

If the idea was just to make them rarer and have more value, why cant we just reduced the drop rate of them? Or create an expensive desocket recipe.

Last edited by supernolanbeta on Thu Sep 25, 2014 6:05 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : fix spelling)

supernolanbeta
Fireblood

TGBest None

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by mahitovec on Thu Sep 25, 2014 10:05 am

@MUS01 wrote:Cause I'm a legit player (at least 75% of the time)... However, this change lead to me to the darck side of the game (backup save files, copy and paste for every reroll). If the old reroll technique (legit) was boring, copy save files from 1 folder to other folder , (Alt +Tab included)  is really fun.... AND, in 1 run (SP, legit char) you don't get a Kab run. You need at least 2. I try get a legit Natasha legacy...I make many runs in a weeek, playing 1 hour per day...and I backup my save files... I don't regret for doing that, after see the crappy roll that I get.  In the end, I think: Why I did  those runs? Why I don't get 1 rune of every type and 1 skull, save the game, backup the file, and cheat the game, saving time?  I was an honest player... However, the darck side shows me the way... Like Anakin... The unsocketable change to COTW (btw, I never get 1 in SP) and Kab runes is like take apart Padme from Anaking, while Palpatine (the cheater way) rounds in the air...

The complain nature after get a powerfull item it's inherent to the human's nature and behaviour....
dat LEGIT player tho
you play 1 hour per day and you are complaining? this is grinding game, if you not enjoying it- play something else
@Nunger wrote:
@MarcoNecroX wrote:If you don't know what it does, just ask...

I found a Mythal CotW the other day, I know what it does in a general sense, but I haven't played a druid so if someone could help with a few questions:

Is it single target/multi target/area based? Does it use FCR?
How do soft/hard points affect the skill?
Are there any limitations/requirements that I should know about?
Does it stack with Phase Bomb if i was to socket it in my sin's gear?

Thanks in advance!
make level 1 druid and read
Spoiler:

edit by Quirinus: fixed image, please don't use tinyshit as an image hoster. (or at least use it right ;P)

Last edited by mahitovec on Thu Sep 25, 2014 10:38 am; edited 1 time in total

mahitovec
Shadowgate Totem

TGBest Transferred

View user profile http://www.twitch.tv/d0sm0t

Back to top Go down

Post by Banned on Thu Sep 25, 2014 10:22 am

So much burn in one post Very Happy

Banned
Cathedral Drow

Banned

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by grimjerk on Thu Sep 25, 2014 10:42 pm

@Asteroth wrote:
@grimjerk wrote:I'm going to be a total dick and suggest that Marco do away with the unsocketing formula altogether for at least one patch cycle.

I think that's a horrible idea. I get Marco's arguments for making Kab runes unsocketable.
I get his arguments for making COTWs unsocketable (though i disagree with them).

But unsocketing items, more specifically the freedom to mix and match what you have, whether it be skills, stat points or items and their socketables, is in my opinion one of the basic foundations of median xl that makes this game as enjoyable as it is.

For example, if i get an SU weapon and I decide to socket it with Jah runes, then I would not be able to try a build with that same weapon but using perfect rainbow stones (ED vs CB) or perfect rubies (LAEK). If it's a rare item, then you better make the right call.

Maybe an experienced player like yourself won't have any problems with making the right call with socketables, but I and many others would.
Do NOT take away the freedom and flexibility in this game.

You missed my point. All this kvetching over a small percentage of socket fillers being non-removable is a bit silly. I was thinking that maybe people needed to be reminded of the bad old days when once things were in, they were in and nuts to you if you didn't like it.

grimjerk
Prince Albrecht

Grumpy Uncle Grimjerk knows best!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by MUS01 on Fri Sep 26, 2014 1:56 am

@mahitovec wrote:
you play 1 hour per day and you are complaining? this is grinding game, if you not enjoying it- play something else

Or, I can use the alternative way... (cheat) or not use the item....Basically, this change lead too much players with real life(jobs, etc) to those 2 options... At least, in SP the cheat way is  useful: you "can get" a nice item if you spent some time rerolling....  MP, if I play online, I will not farm the fucking armor... Period.

MUS01
Burning Dead

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by MarcoNecroX on Fri Sep 26, 2014 2:03 am

You cheat... Period.

MarcoNecroX
Malthael

Führer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum