I might have good news.

Page 5 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: I might have good news.

Post by Sexen on Wed Jul 02, 2014 2:04 am

Who cares he's dumb.

Laz hasn't posted in a while. I hope he hasn't given up. That has to be a huge let down. I know I would be upset.
Sexen
Howling Spirit

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Brother Laz on Thu Jul 17, 2014 9:45 am

It just taught me that there is no point in applying for a game dev job in the U.S. because even if you're the best candidate they're still going to flip that coin. I don't want my future to be decided by random luck.

Shame I figured that out after spending 10 years doing nothing but this.
Brother Laz
Care Bear

Flying Polar Buffalo Error

View user profile http://modsbylaz.vn.cz/

Back to top Go down

Post by kambala on Thu Jul 17, 2014 10:48 am

at least you are (were?) in love with what you are (were?) doing Smile
kambala
Follower of Akarat

View user profile http://worldofplayers.ru/forums/769/

Back to top Go down

Post by UncleRuckus on Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:03 pm

Wait... I understand why the USG would be against good games , but why do you have to physically be in the US to do game coding?

UncleRuckus
Shredder

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by trollkin on Fri Jul 25, 2014 11:06 am

Did someone mention a huge letdown?

About half a year ago, I was applying for a job (QA linguistic game tester) in Canada. It was looking good - party because there weren't too many other applicants having the language and gaming skills/experience and willing to relocate to a different continent.

I'd sent them the test they wanted me to complete, and I'm pretty sure there were few or no mistakes at all - but guess what. They responded that they would inform me about the results in the weeks to come, which, by the way, is pretty sloppy in itself, but the worst thing is that I haven't heard from them since.

So, instead of being in Canada and working in gaming and with languange, I'm stuck in my country, doing a job which isn't even remotely related to any of those fields.

Turns out employers these days simply don't even bother to write a "go fuck yourself and have a nice day", they just don't give a fuck about you, that's all. It's all about nepotism and pulling the right strings. If you don't have the means, you're screwed, because many positions are occupied by incompetent people, who, unfortunately, created a network of friends and acquaintances which you can hardly penetrate on your own. I see it every day - crappy news reports with mistakes and little to no coherence, useless clerks who don't know how to for example send or open an attachment, etc. It just makes me wanna puke. Unfortunately, that seems to be pretty much all there is that I can do about it.
trollkin
Jungle Hunter

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by UncleRuckus on Sat Jul 26, 2014 9:48 am

@trollkin wrote:

Turns out employers these days simply don't even bother to write a "go fuck yourself and have a nice day", they just don't give a fuck about you, that's all. It's all about nepotism and pulling the right strings. If you don't have the means, you're screwed, because many positions are occupied by incompetent people, who, unfortunately, created a network of friends and acquaintances which you can hardly penetrate on your own. I see it every day - crappy news reports with mistakes and little to no coherence, useless clerks who don't know how to for example send or open an attachment, etc. It just makes me wanna puke. Unfortunately, that seems to be pretty much all there is that I can do about it.
Are you talking about programming or the Murkan gubmint... it gets kinda murky at the bolded point.
 Twisted Evil 

Actually, I was kind of thinking about this today. About 8 months ago I was offered a job- not a great one mind you, but it was an interesting opportunity- simply because my cab partner had conned some dude into buying a store.
My ex-partner showed his true colors the moment he got an ounce of power, and I had to exercise extreme discipline not to strangle him on most days. At some point I realized that he was trying to bullshit his way through the job, and truth be tld, it's easier to simply do the work that needs to be done. The owner went out of country to rustle up funds to buy another store, and when he came back a month later, he had come to the conclusion that me ex-partner was a waste of skin, my other ex-co-worker (who had been fucking my ex-partner on the side to get ahead) had always been a waste of skin, and that I should simply keep up what I was doing and do a bit more every day.
Well, ex and ex are gone, I was last man standing, and the store is doing better than ever under my direction, even though I'm pressed for time to get anything constructive done most days... that's my next mission, to change that status quo

It'a > McJob, but with fringier benefits. I hear a lot of grumbling about imiigrant workers, but much of it is from people who didn't care about doing yardwork 15 years ago wwhen the second major wave of yardworkers came to the country. Fuck 'em. You can still do yardwork, and truth is, immigrant yardworkers are as likely to be as shiftless and lazy as Murkan yardworkers. Win some, lose some. As for me, I's love to do yardwork in the summer, but I have no lawn mower (or any other yardwork tools), and the few people who were hiring locally required me to have my own personal truck. Not personal vehicle, mind you, but personal truck. Are these people out of their minds? If I'm going through all that trouble, I'll start my own damn yardwork business, and make good money, too, because I do quality work. I first did it when I qwas 12. By 13, I owned two lawn mowers and had to hire my friends to do the grass cutting on my overflow jobs. What the hell happened to me?

It was some of my best money ever, adjusted for inflation and considering my lack of living expenses. (We were middle class enough to move into a decent neighborhood... decent enough where people could hire us to do their yardwork...  Rolling Eyes  ) You know who I don't see doing yardwork these days? Twelve year olds. Gubmint stepped in and basically declared every implement dangerous for kids to handle. Parents would probably get charged with child abuse if CPD drove by when little Johnny's chomping away with the hedge clippers. It also explains some of the childhood obesity in the country- kids who don't burn calories trimming hedges burn it slower playing WoW 18 hours a day. Not healthy, but I'm no doctor, so take that as you will.

Anyhoo, that's all the stream-of-consciousness rantng I care to do about Murkan employment at the moment. It's sad, but it's a fact of life. It makes me want the system to burn down so we can start over and HOPEFULLY learn from our mistakes. For interesting viewing, look up "Free State Project" on youtube, as that's something I've been doing a lot of reserch on as of late They have their premise right, which is a nice change of pace, and they sort of have the right idea, so I'm definitely looking to stake a claim up in New Hampshire the next couple of years or so. Plan on getting a job on a farm for next year's growing season, then spending the off-season smoking, playing guitar, and working out... maybe stay a release or two behind Realm of Shadows like I have this year.  Hitting a Wall  Localized economies should be he wave of the future... it won't be the end of the Internet for gaming, but there's no need to spend an extra $2 per pound of beef just because it had to be shipped halway across the country when you can get higher quality beef from a county away.

UncleRuckus
Shredder

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum